• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold M1 or M3 turrets

Re: Leupold M1 or M3 turrets

they're completely different.

M1 knobs are 1/4 MOA adjustments and M3 knobs are 1 MOA (elevation) and 1/2 MOA (windage).

It's a clicky thing...

M1 1/4 MOA elevation, 1/4 MOA windage
M2 1/2 MOA elevation, 1/2 MOA windage
M3 1 MOA elevation, 1/2 MOA windage

Ok I see. still new to all this. on a recommendation from a hunting partner (who knows how to shoot and use his equipment) he advised me to buy a Leupold scope. said reticles does not matter too much, but that I just must get out and shoot a lot to become proficient at working the turrets. so it becomes 2nd nature. I am looking at a Leupold MK 4 3.5x10x40 of some sort. wish they had the higher power scopes with a 40MM objective, in the MK4. don't like the 50MM at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a clicky thing...

M1 1/4 MOA elevation, 1/4 MOA windage
M2 1/2 MOA elevation, 1/2 MOA windage
M3 1 MOA elevation, 1/2 MOA windage </div></div>

what is the advantage of one over the other?

M1 more precise but it takes more travel for longer shots
M2 pretty good in the middle of the road but still a little coarse for punching paper but fine for hunting
M3 1 moa per division enough movement to get to 800-900 yards with a .308 in one revolution of the knob.

Most long distance shooter do not want multiple turns of the knob for long distance shooting as you can get lost in the number of turns it takes to return to zero.

If you want to eventually match the reticle to the turrent go with a M1 at some point and time Leupold plans a conversion kit for the M1 to go to the M5's but we have been waiting for over a year. If you go new and not used then I would recommend the M5 with the TMR reticle but they are still pretty pricey...

Good luck..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I see. still new to all this. on a recommendation from a hunting partner (who knows how to shoot and use his equipment) he advised me to buy a Leupold scope. said reticles <span style="color: #990000"> does not matter too much</span>, but that I just must get out and shoot a lot to become proficient at working the turrets. so it becomes 2nd nature. I am looking at a Leupold MK 4 3.5x10x40 of some sort. wish they had the higher power scopes with a 40MM objective, in the MK4. don't like the 50MM at all. </div></div>
Stop......
Before you spend any money, do some real research, there are plenty of scopes under $1,000 dollars that you should look at. Decide what you want to do with it, because the reticle does matter.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I see. still new to all this. on a recommendation from a hunting partner (who knows how to shoot and use his equipment) he advised me to buy a Leupold scope. said reticles <span style="color: #990000"> does not matter too much</span>, but that I just must get out and shoot a lot to become proficient at working the turrets. so it becomes 2nd nature. I am looking at a Leupold MK 4 3.5x10x40 of some sort. wish they had the higher power scopes with a 40MM objective, in the MK4. don't like the 50MM at all. </div></div>
Stop......
Before you spend any money, do some real research, there are plenty of scopes under $1,000 dollars that you should look at. Decide what you want to do with it, because the reticle does matter.
SScott </div></div>

+1 Check out the SWFA 3-9x40 SS, or the Vortex PST line. Those are just two of many good options. Do some more research, ask more questions, and then you can pick out the scope that you want not what a buddy told you to get.

I would say what others have said above but spend a couple of quality hours doing research but first you have to ask yourself what are you going to do with the optic - hunting, paper shooting, long range shooting? And, as said above, the reticle that you choose matters a lot. If it doesn't, then just get a duplex recticle and hunt with it. If you want to range with the reticle or use it for hold overs then it will matter.

I personally like the M1. I would like for Leupold to eventually say "yes we will convert your M1s to M5 just send it in", but that probably won't happen any time soon.
Most folks round here don't like Leupold, so more than anything you will be advised to choose another manufacturer.

ok I will use this scope for paper, steel, and hunting. but i could always switch this scope out at a later date to one of my hunting rigs and just go hunting with it. what I want to be able to do one day after lot and lots of practice is range an object with said scope then dial turrets, shoot and hit it. Like I said all this is very new to me as far as optics go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you convert M1s to M3s ? </div></div>

you can convert M1's to M3's on MK4 scopes, some VXIII LR's (not on PR or 90% of VXIII's)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">besides the obvious looks. Is there one style better then the other I know the M1's are taller. </div></div>

It depends on your shooting style like many of the above said.

There are some good deals on 3.5x10 MK4's. I have several with M3 knobs at home and work. Good scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoverG79</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you convert M1s to M3s ? </div></div>

you can convert M1's to M3's on MK4 scopes, some VXIII LR's (not on PR or 90% of VXIII's) </div></div>

do you have to send it back to Leupold for that ?
I have a Mk4 with M1 turrets and I want the M3 for the field.

I really like the Leupold M5 turrets they are really nice.

Here is a video we did.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the Leupold M5 turrets they are really nice.

Here is a video we did.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST </div></div>

can I get that same set up but with a 40mm obj.