• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mark 3HD

Anyone have experience with both this new MK 3HD 3-9 (or 4-12) and something like the Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9?

Glass quality? Is the Firedot TMR thicker than the MilDot in the Trijicon? Etc. Any other comparably priced and weight optics with Mil reticles?

Also looking for a light weight Mil reticle illuminated optic to recommend for a friends lightweight AR and these two came to mind first.

They remind me of the VX-R scopes. Not bad but the firedot reticules are kinda thick. Don't remember how mine tracked but it did hold zero.

Try taking out the detent and getting rid of your zero stop and see how much elevation you have!
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread but I just bought one of these and didn't realize it had this limit. How does one remove the detent? File down the nub on the scope end or is there a way to remove the metal stop in the cap? I tried removing the retainer screws and the inner ring in the cap didn't seem to want to budge but I didn't try prying it or using any force so maybe that's it.

You have no idea how irritated I am at this. I've been running a Steyr Scout for many years and I've become quite competent within the limits of the scout configuration... which is to say, inside 300 yards. My goal has been to find an optic that allows me to continue to use it for anything from 25 yard snap shots out to 800 to maybe 1000 and this scope seemed like the perfect fit.

I'm not beyond taking a file to this thing but I'd sure prefer something less destructive if possible.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
You return it and buy the vx5hd like I did.
Well shit. That doesn't work because they don't make anything with a low end of 3 or less. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is the alternative but at more than double the cost. Ugh. I'm still contemplating a flat file on that nub.

Well shit. That doesn't work because they don't make anything with a low end of 3 or less. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is the alternative but at more than double the cost. Ugh. I'm still contemplating a flat file on that nub.
3 what?
How far are you shooting.

3 what?
How far are you shooting.
My goal isn't a long range gun per se. This is going on a scout rifle and I still plan on using it for scoutty things. I've found that anything above 3X is just too much for the bulk of the shooting I do. Honestly, 2.5X is really better for the snap shots at 10 to 25 yards but 3X will work. Most of my field use is inside 200 yards.

My goal with this scope is to push the other end of the spectrum and to that end, I want a light scope that has a tactical turret with a mil/mil adjustments and a high end of anywhere from 9X to 12X. Combined with proper training (and I'm well aware that I need training), I think this would make for an excellent general purpose rifle for just about anything one might use a rifle for.

Here it is… 8 pounds, 13 ounces including sling, scope, bipod and suppressor.

Attachments

• 4D53EDBA-B30B-41AA-9750-2F034AA31EFB.jpeg
    4D53EDBA-B30B-41AA-9750-2F034AA31EFB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
Reactions: Quintus
My goal isn't a long range gun per se. This is going on a scout rifle and I still plan on using it for scoutty things. I've found that anything above 3X is just too much for the bulk of the shooting I do. Honestly, 2.5X is really better for the snap shots at 10 to 25 yards but 3X will work. Most of my field use is inside 200 yards.

My goal with this scope is to push the other end of the spectrum and to that end, I want a light scope that has a tactical turret with a mil/mil adjustments and a high end of anywhere from 9X to 12X. Combined with proper training (and I'm well aware that I need training), I think this would make for an excellent general purpose rifle for just about anything one might use a rifle for.
Yeah that’s why you should get the vx5hd. Like 19oz and has all the features you need for long range. Here it is on my 17 inch saum hunting rifle. Rifle weights under 8lbs and will kill anything out to 1400 yards

Attachments

• 4BD8B4BF-8D59-4223-A491-64FAB8EB839F.jpeg
    4BD8B4BF-8D59-4223-A491-64FAB8EB839F.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: Quintus
That’s a really nice set up. Well thought out and practical. For reference, here’s a sample of the kind of shooting I’m describing. What this doesn’t show is the amount of time we spent at 10, 25 and 50 yards working on snap shots. That’s where I set my maximum of 3x for the low end.

Reactions: rauchman
That’s a really nice set up. Well thought out and practical. For reference, here’s a sample of the kind of shooting I’m describing. What this doesn’t show is the amount of time we spent at 10, 25 and 50 yards working on snap shots. That’s where I set my maximum of 3x for the low end.

Then why do you need more than the mark 3hd?

Then why do you need more than the mark 3hd?
Because... as I mentioned, my goal is to take some long range training and push this thing out beyond what I can already do. My goal is to be able to be at least competent at 800 or so. Maybe even 1000. I have no delusions about being great at longer ranges. I just don't want to completely suck and I don't want to compromise too much on the closer in work. This is the "one gun" attempt. It will not be great at any given task but will be acceptable at just about everything. Specializing is easy... generalizing is tricky.

Gotcha, makes sense.
So have you looked at your ballistics to see how much Moa or mil come up you will need for the distance you want to shoot? 1000 yards might be able to be done depending what you are shooting. I think the dial max on that is what 6 mils. Takes me about 7 mils to get to 1000 with my short-barreled rifle. That means I could do it by using a holdover in the scope. Or if you zeroed at say 200 yards or something.
I was faced with the same dilemma when I bought that scope, I chose to fork out some more money and get the scope I mentioned above and I'm glad I did.
That being said when I build my wife a hunting rifle I will through a mark3hd on there cause she wont need that much elevation.

Gotcha, makes sense.
So have you looked at your ballistics to see how much Moa or mil come up you will need for the distance you want to shoot? 1000 yards might be able to be done depending what you are shooting. I think the dial max on that is what 6 mils. Takes me about 7 mils to get to 1000 with my short-barreled rifle. That means I could do it by using a holdover in the scope. Or if you zeroed at say 200 yards or something.
I was faced with the same dilemma when I bought that scope, I chose to fork out some more money and get the scope I mentioned above and I'm glad I did.
That being said when I build my wife a hunting rifle I will through a mark3hd on there cause she wont need that much elevation.

You’d have to have one laser beam of a round to get to 1K with what’s on the turret. I put a 4-12 on my 22 and like it but I’ll be changing it to something else. For a typical hunting rifle it’s got plenty of elevation on the turret but not for a LR rifle.

You’d have to have one laser beam of a round to get to 1K with what’s on the turret. I put a 4-12 on my 22 and like it but I’ll be changing it to something else. For a typical hunting rifle it’s got plenty of elevation on the turret but not for a LR rifle.
Depends where you zero I guess. But you can easily do it when using the reticle.

Gotcha, makes sense.
That's actually a great suggestion. 1000 yards would require 12.3 mils of elevation with the 100 yard zero (assuming the table is correct and I know they often are not). With a 200 yard zero, it is 11.6. Combine that and that could work out to 1000. Barely and not ideal, but it could work.

Or I could take a freakin' file to that tab! LOL. Or buy the Nightforce.

The class I plan on taking first is Bang Steel in Wytheville VA. They might help sort out what makes the most sense. so maybe I'll just wait until then.

That's actually a great suggestion. 1000 yards would require 12.3 mils of elevation with the 100 yard zero (assuming the table is correct and I know they often are not). With a 200 yard zero, it is 11.6. Combine that and that could work out to 1000. Barely and not ideal, but it could work.

Or I could take a freakin' file to that tab! LOL. Or buy the Nightforce.

The class I plan on taking first is Bang Steel in Wytheville VA. They might help sort out what makes the most sense. so maybe I'll just wait until then.
12.3 mils!??!?
What are you shooting?

Oooo 308 win?
Honestly that’s not a 1000 yard set up. You are going to be going transonic before you even get to 1000 yards. Once you hit transonic the bullets starts doing things lol. Especially 308 it seems, I’ve seen a 308 do a lot of crazy things when it hits transonic especially if you don’t have a super high twist.
That seems to be a good 800-900 max rifle.
Not to say you couldn’t get a hit at 1k, but it will not be consistent at 1k you just don’t have the speed. Repeatable consistency goes out the window once you hit transonic it most cases.
Essentially 1000 yards is considered ELR for that set up.
Just my two cents.

Honestly that’s not a 1000 yard set up. You are going to be going transonic before you even get to 1000 yards. Once you hit transonic the bullets starts doing things lol. Especially 308 it seems, I’ve seen a 308 do a lot of crazy things when it hits transonic especially if you don’t have a super high twist.
That seems to be a good 800-900 max rifle.
Not to say you couldn’t get a hit at 1k, but it will not be consistent at 1k you just don’t have the speed. Repeatable consistency goes out the window once you hit transonic it most cases.
Essentially 1000 yards is considered ELR for that set up.
Just my two cents.
I agree and again, I'm pretty realistic about this. I know that it probably is an 800 yard gun at best. If I can hit at 1000, I'll be ecstatic, but the real goal here is to take a scout rifle and stretch the legs as far as is practical and with the 16" barrel, 800 is likely it. I'm just annoyed that this scope has such a limiting turret. It looks so promising otherwise.

You could easily take that little knob off of the scope- that is all that hits the detent ball and stops more revolutions... but that is permanent. The little bb can come out of the turret knob but takes a little work-- but on a redfield tac/vx-3 it was not a press fit. Not actually sure what kept the little sucker in there-

I would call Leupold... I had the opposite- a turret without the stop- and with it being in the back seat and getting bounced around- it spun and was off a turn. Called up Leupold and they mailed me a turret for free.

Depends what you want- but I hate having scopes without zero stops.

Reactions: cliffy110
I agree and again, I'm pretty realistic about this. I know that it probably is an 800 yard gun at best. If I can hit at 1000, I'll be ecstatic, but the real goal here is to take a scout rifle and stretch the legs as far as is practical and with the 16" barrel, 800 is likely it. I'm just annoyed that this scope has such a limiting turret. It looks so promising otherwise.
Yeah I was too!

Reactions: cliffy110