• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10 M3 Turret questions

Trubester88

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Okay, so I have the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10 with M3 Turrets designated for .308 168 grain ammo. My question is if the adjustments for 100-1000 yards, will the elevation changes in most situations put my round dead center? i.e. 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards, etc. I have the Tactical Milling Reticle with MOA turrets. I understand constantly going to the range and recording bullet impacts at different known distances. But I am halfway around the world and do not have that luxury for the next few months.

Re: Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10 M3 Turret questions

I wouldn't say that it will be center every time you shoot. The main reason is the BDC(Bullet Drop Compensator)turrets were not made specifically for your rifle and conditions, but they should be close if you use the same ammo that they were designed for.

Best option is to test it out for each yardage when you get a chance and record where it impacts in relation to your point of aim.

What about my difficult 1 MOA per click M3 turrets? Do I have to automatically hold at the ranges where rounds hit differently from the elevation heading. I think 1 MOA click would put the round off too much.

Well if you are using BDC turrets I don't think you have a choice for clicks, it just goes to the range you click it to. I have never used the Leupold ones or seen them so I don't know what the turrets show.

Most of the ones I have seen have your zero at 100, then some clicks inbetween(unsure of measurement) and next big line is 200, so on and so forth. you might have a couple MOA to adjust.

You could also get custom BDC turrets made for your rifle and load you shoot.

I have some experience with your scope. First of all the scope is made for rapidly engaging human sized targets at ranges of 100-1000yds. With the 1moa adjustments every click you make will adjust the scope 1" at 100, 2" at 200, 3" at 300 on up to 10" at 1000. It fits the military or law enforcement standard of never taking head shots at anything beyond 200 yards and engaging center mass beyond 200. The key to being successful with this scope is to use it at all ranges and record your dope on those engagements. Are there some limitations to the 1moa clicks? Yes there is, but there are also some advantages when it comes to rapidly engaging human sized targets because you can go from 100 to 1000 yards in one turn of your dial without getting lost in the revolutions. To answer your question about elevation, it will be slightly different every where you go. Hope this helps.

As has been stated your BDC is intended for rapid engagement over varying distances on man sized targets. How big of target are you attempting to hit and at what range? The 1 MOA adjustments aren't as limiting once you actually start shooting them as you would think. The most is could be off after adjusting your DOPE is .5 moa or about 5" at 1,000 yards. You just need to figure out your actual DOPE for your location.

Using your BDC will get you close, usually within 1 or 2 MOA if you are using the ammunition your BDC is made for. You just compensate for the difference one you know what it is. So if you are shooting at 500 yards and you shoot .75 MOA low, you just go with the closest adjustment possible, so set your scope at "5" then add one more moa adjustment or 5+1 now you will be .25 MOA high or a little over an inch at that range. It's really not that far off.

If you are shooting targets and bullseyes for scoring it's not the greatest(but like has been said can be done)If you are shooting steel it's a good system.

Thanks alot driftman and pointwood. That helps put my worries at ease. I look forward to using the 1000 yard range near my home when I finally make it back.

I forgot to add that once you get your DOPE for your load and your rifle, you can contact Leupold, they will make a custom BDC matching your DOPE for $59. You could use any load combination that shot best through your rifle. You would still have to fine tune it for conditions other than what you are shooting but it would be more in sync with your rifle.

On a side note, If you are going to shoot out to 1,000 yards, I would choose either a 175 SMK grain bullet or the new 155 grain SMK Palma over the 168 SMK. The 168 SMK doesn't perform as well past 600 yards, although your results may vary.