• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Leupold Mark 4 Mount threads

USMCGRUNT0341

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2008
I recently got my Mega Arms build back from cerakote. I wanted to thread in my Mark 4 IMS 30mm mount screws one time just to make sure they went in easily once I mounted the scope. I must have went a little too far and got the screw in the threads. When I backed the screw out, the entire thread came with it. I now stripped the threaded insert trying to get the screw out of it (Inside the mount itself is fine).

Does anyone know what size thread and screw this would be? And where I could purchase them?

I will attach a photo. Thanks

IMG_9969.jpg

I recently got my Mega Arms build back from cerakote. I wanted to thread in my Mark 4 IMS 30mm mount screws one time just to make sure they went in easily once I mounted the scope. I must have went a little too far and got the screw in the threads. When I backed the screw out, the entire thread came with it. I now stripped the threaded insert trying to get the screw out of it (Inside the mount itself is fine).

Does anyone know what size thread and screw this would be? And where I could purchase them?

I will attach a photo. Thanks

View attachment 7465463
Contact Leupold and they will send you a new one. This has to be defective. I'm assuming that this is a steel threaded insert into the aluminum mount. No way it should have backed out. I mean, what's going to happen to it when you torque it to spec, eh?

I have a set of Mk 4 steel rings on a gun....came with one ring cap screw that was too short, only caught a thread or two, and striped the threads in the bottom half of the ring. I submitted a trouble ticket and Leupold CALLED ME ON THE PHONE to tell me that this should never have happened and that I will have a new set of rings in a couple of days....which is what happened.

I have only had a few CS interactions with Leupold, but they seem to me to be very responsive.

Give them a shout...send them that pic. Bet they just send you a new mount.

Contact Leupold and they will send you a new one. This has to be defective. I'm assuming that this is a steel threaded insert into the aluminum mount. No way it should have backed out. I mean, what's going to happen to it when you torque it to spec, eh?

I have a set of Mk 4 steel rings on a gun....came with one ring cap screw that was too short, only caught a thread or two, and striped the threads in the bottom half of the ring. I submitted a trouble ticket and Leupold CALLED ME ON THE PHONE to tell me that this should never have happened and that I will have a new set of rings in a couple of days....which is what happened.

I have only had a few CS interactions with Leupold, but they seem to me to be very responsive.

Give them a shout...send them that pic. Bet they just send you a new mount.

Thank you very much. I am going to check their website and see if I can find that trouble ticket link.

I thought the same exact thing about being a defect and what would happen once I torqued. I am actually hoping they can send me the thread and screw and just tell me to Loctite it. As much as I would love a new mount, I already paid to have this one done in cerakote. And I checked the threads to make sure they didn't mess it up, and there wasn't a drop of cerakote anywhere near the threads. This mount is less than two months old and has never been mounted.

Thank you very much. I am going to check their website and see if I can find that trouble ticket link.

I thought the same exact thing about being a defect and what would happen once I torqued. I am actually hoping they can send me the thread and screw and just tell me to Loctite it. As much as I would love a new mount, I already paid to have this one done in cerakote. And I checked the threads to make sure they didn't mess it up, and there wasn't a drop of cerakote anywhere near the threads. This mount is less than two months old and has never been mounted.

Good luck...come back and let us know how their CS response was.

I dont know if they would be able to send you that helicoil. I would be willing to bet whatever epoxy they used to install it, didnt like the heat from the cerakote and thats what weakened it, causing it to fail.
You can always call them and see what they say.
Based on my experience, when a helicoil like that comes out, especially if its been epoxied in, they dont go back in nicely. You might be looking at getting a whole new mount or having a gunsmith blow it out to a bigger hole if you dont want to pay to cerakote it again (which would probably cost more than getting the cerakote done). Problem with that is its already an 8-40 screw for that ring top, i dont know how much larger someone could make it without compromising the integrity of the aluminum...

Thank you for your input. I ended up contacting Leupold and they confirmed that I had to send it back. By the time I paid for the packing and shipping to Oregon, I would have been better off getting a new Mount down in cerakote.

My package hasn’t arrived there yet so I am guessing to hear something from them by next week. One thing to point out though...the cerakote was air dried and not baked.I was thinking the same thing about the heat until I confirmed that it was the series that air dries.

Very odd. Learning lesson here... leave the mount black. Haha.

Thanks!

I would have put red lock tight on the insert and screwed it back in. Screw should have turned right back out again... hopefully.

This is coming from a guy that has #10's on a scope rail he broke #6's off in (dropped an aluminum receivered 22 on the scope and ripped the threads out) , then botched the #8 threading. So free advice and all...

Haha. I was going to red Loctite and roll, but I couldn’t get the screw out. And thank you for the free advice. 😂