• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 ... or ... ?

snowdog650

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
NorCal
I have a generous friend who is offering me a brand-new-in-the-box Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50MM with a FFP TMR reticle and M5 turrets for right around $1250.

In this price range (i.e., $1250 or less), is this the best scope I can get? I have concern with the limitation of only 5 mil windage holdover with the Leupold TMR reticle (as well as their Mil-Dot reticle) ... but for the price, I'm not sure I can do better.

Said scope would be mounted to a new Savage 10P, 20" BBL, 1:10, 5R with bedded HS Precision stock, Badger 20 MOA mount and Leupold Mark 4 medium rings. The primary function of the rifle will be for target/steel out to 800+ (eventually) and possibly hunts.

Thoughts?

The SWFA SS 5-20x50 would be an overall better scope. Comparable price with the non illuminated model. One thing about the Leupold though, I love the TMR reticle. It is my favorite out of all my scopes.

I have been happy with all the Leupold scopes I have/had. I had the exact same model as OP is thinking, and only sold after getting a Steiner.

Ive been hunting for a great deal on leupy mk4 6.5-20. I also heard swfa is comparable or better BUT im so dumb i can never use MIL im MOA guy:).. what about sightron 6-24 moa-2?.. if swfa hd comes with moa wouldve own plenty.. by the way 1250 is great deal with that package..im guessing not illum

Why do you have to be "smart" to use mils? The key is getting a scope with turrets matching the reticle. This way you don't have to convert from reticle measurement to turret clicks.

IMO Mil is the way to go.. With MOA dials and a Mil Reticle you have 2 sets of numbers to remember. With a Mil turret its the same as your reticle unless of course you get an MOA reticle. I thought it would be super hard to figure out when I got my Mil/Mil NF. Its super easy to figure with only one set of numbers. The plus is when you reach out farther than you can dial and can just add your mils to the equation. The only thing I would suggest is to look for a Bushnell DMR which if you can find the older model will run you around the same. I'm leaning to the older style DMR for my next build.

I already wrote this in another thread, but for this price I would take a look at eurooptics Steiner scope prices right now: 1500$ for a 4-16x50 or 1300$ for a demo/like new 3-12. Optically there aren't many scopes in this price range which are on a comparable level (are there any?). But Steiner scopes are no light or small scopes and top magnification would be either 12 or 16, so this are the downsides. Nice lightweight scope with all the features would be the Leupold Mark 6 3-18, which I would pick over a Mark 4 all day long, but you won't get it for under 1700$.

I have a generous friend who is offering me a brand-new-in-the-box Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50MM with a FFP TMR reticle and M5 turrets for right around $1250.

In this price range (i.e., $1250 or less), is this the best scope I can get? I have concern with the limitation of only 5 mil windage holdover with the Leupold TMR reticle (as well as their Mil-Dot reticle) ... but for the price, I'm not sure I can do better.

Said scope would be mounted to a new Savage 10P, 20" BBL, 1:10, 5R with bedded HS Precision stock, Badger 20 MOA mount and Leupold Mark 4 medium rings. The primary function of the rifle will be for target/steel out to 800+ (eventually) and possibly hunts.

Thoughts?

First off, that sounds like a pretty good deal on that scope. I think in the price range of $1,250 or less, only a few scopes come to my mind.... the above mentioned Leupold, a Bushnell 3.5-21 FFP, and an SWFA SS 5-20 FFP (forgive me if I left out any others). I don't know if you could really go wrong with any of those 3.

Second, I wouldn't quite be concerned with 5 Mils for Windage Holds, as I would be for only having 5 Mils for Elevation Holdovers ;) 5Mils of Windage Hold using the reticle will provide you with enough Compensation to guide a 175SMK into your Target @ 800 Yards in a 25 MPH Crosswind....However, using the Reticle for Holdovers, you would only be able to provide for enough Drop, out to about 660 Yards.....Of course your ambient weather conditions, elevation, and velocity of the Projectile coming out of your barrel may vary enough to slightly change those Distances, plus or minus. My figures were based off of a 175SMK @ 2725fps coming out of my 24" Barrel, @ 50 Degrees Fahrenheit, 400 FT ASL, 30.03 Barometric Pressure, and 40% Relative Humidity.

Third, you did mention possible Hunts....if any of those Hunts ever happen to be up close, say maybe in thick Woods, 6.5x really isn't ideal for that sort of thing, but at that point, even if you go with one of the other 3 scopes, 5x aint that far off from 6.5x. I didnt mention 3.5x on the Bushnell because from 3.5x to around 4.7x (est.), your Field of View doesn't change at all so anything below 5x on that Scope, I really didn't care for, plus I never have liked most FFP Reticles on Low Power, due to being inherently small.

Just my thoughts, so take it for what its worth. Hope this has helped you in some way.

EDIT: I also agree with Sambra's post above me, if you could score a Steiner around $1300ish, that'd be awefully tempting, as they are at another Level of Optic Quality between the three I mentioned. But as mentioned, the potentially obvious downside would be a max of 12 or 16x....but even the 12x Model would provide what's necessary to make hits out to 1k of Full Size IPSC Torsos, provided you can do your part.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions, folks -- it is appreciated. HD1911 ... my hunts would be in pretty sparsely vegetated areas in the West and Southwest, so I can go with a higher magnification on the low end; but your point is well taken.

Of course, now I have just screwed myself on my decision ... right when I was set to jump on the Leupold, I find out that I can get a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 G2DMR for right around $850.00. Now I am at a total loss on what to do ... might just flip a coin.

Care to share where a G2DMR is going for at this price....

Thanks for the opinions, folks -- it is appreciated. HD1911 ... my hunts would be in pretty sparsely vegetated areas in the West and Southwest, so I can go with a higher magnification on the low end; but your point is well taken.

Of course, now I have just screwed myself on my decision ... right when I was set to jump on the Leupold, I find out that I can get a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 G2DMR for right around $850.00. Now I am at a total loss on what to do ... might just flip a coin.

I think that particular deal on Bushnell is only available with MilDot reticle while Leupold has TMR. If that doesn't matter, then perhaps Bushnell could be a better choice even though I have no personal experience with them.

Thoughts?

That's a decent enough deal I don't think you will lose money and 6.5-20 is a good power range for target shooting.

here lately I've been trying to educate my friends, family, and coworkers on firearms and optics rather than just choosing for them....however in your case, if u can indeed score a 3.5-21 w/G2 for $850 new, I would do that in a heartbeat and never look back man. better, more useful reticle anyways ;)

plus you're saving some serious coin, and they have a year long money back, no-strings-attached guarantee, provided u bought it new and keep the receipt

Do it, to it broseph. again just my honest opinion.

Any idea where this located at..

I think that particular deal on Bushnell is only available with MilDot reticle while Leupold has TMR. If that doesn't matter, then perhaps Bushnell could be a better choice even though I have no personal experience with them.