• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4s are made in USA

frankythefly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Colorado
I am writing up a review on the Mark 4 ER/T and I have been bothered by all sorts of people saying that Leupold's are not made in the USA. So I wanted to squash this rumor so I confirmed by e-mail, pictures, videos, and telephonic interview that Leupold Mark 4s are all designed and made in the USA. Short of me visiting the Leupold factory myself I have more than enough proof.

These are the questions that I asked(these are the most frequent questions that I hear here and on the shooting line):
1.) Is the Mark 4 line made in the USA?

2.)If made in the USA why does the scopes not contain "Made in the USA" like
older models.

3.)If made in the USA why was this removed from the box also?

4.)Everyone likes the fact that each Mark 4 comes with butler creek flip up
covers but wonders why there is no sunshade included?

5.)Can consumers expect an illuminated version of the ER/T line?

Answers:
-----Start of e-mail-----
#1 - Yes, the scopes are designed, manufactured and produced in the USA. Beaverton, Oregon.

#2 & #3 - All of the scope components with the exception of some of the lens, are designed, manufactured and produced right here in our facility. The lens are manufactured to our demanding standards off shore as Leupold is not a lens manufacturer.

Now with that said. The "Made in the USA" was removed from the scopes and the boxes due to the fact that there were other U.S. companies that manufacture their products here in the U.S. (that were proudly branded "Made in the USA") were sued by the State of California because, some of the components used in their manufactured products were produced off shore. So, Leupold made the decision to remove the verbiage from the products to prevent potential law suits. What a society we live in..

#4 - The Mark 4 line of scopes are manufactured and marketed as Tactical scopes and not target scopes therefore, the scopes are not equipped with sunshades. A couple more reasons are, it will increase the price of the scope (which they are not inexpensive as they are) and not every customer uses a sunshade and if they do want one, they know that the sunshades are available as a separate accessory option.

#5 - An illuminated EFR scope has been discussed and will probably become reality someday. When I do not know? Leupold has developed a scope called the CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm FFP .1Mil/click scope that has an illuminated dot at low power at the request of the military. I know you are going to ask... No, at this time it is not available to the general public. It will become available possibly next year once the Military contract as been fulfilled. How much...? I don't know.. Sorry but, I have told you all that I am allowed to right now.

Thank you and Good Shooting...

-----End of Email-----

I hope this clears up a lot about the Leupold's

Re: Leupold Mark 4s are made in USA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still won't be buying one. </div></div>

Ha Ha Classic

That doesn't change the fact that they aren't worth near what they sell for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy USOptics </div></div>

I've personally had better luck with Leupold than USO.
Yes I have had both makes of scope break on me.
Both companies have good warranty service, but Leupold went the extra mile for me.

I personally would buy a NF over either of those and never have to use the warranty service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh lord...waiting for the ensuing scrum over this one. I hope everyone has eye protection. </div></div>

I'm getting a beer. Pass the popcorn USACS.

doublefacepalm.jpg

vman that double face palm is one for the ages:) And - perfect timing for it...

I have a older Mark 4, bought in 2000 and it's been perfect all these years. Would I buy another one? Sure, if I had the money to. With a wife and 2 daughters, one of which is in private school, there isn't a lot of money to go around for my shooting hobby. I appreciate, and get the most out of what I have, and thus far have done fairly well with it.

Branden

Wow!!! I cannot believe the hate. Thank You franky for your write up. Gentlemen I know I am new to the forum. I have been keeping my finger still and just reading and learning. I have been lucky with scopes (NF, US Optics and Leupold). I like all of them and all are use for different purposes. Have not used any of them in 10 and a half month but that should change soon. sayings things like "You couldn't give me a Leupold if I had to use it".
those are very stong words. Please remember our soldiers use them over here in afghanistan on a daily basis. We all have our right to pick any scope we can afford. I even bought a new Leupold Mark 4 E/RT because they give us a great military discounts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attackpilot64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Please remember our soldiers use them over here in afghanistan on a daily basis.
</div></div>

And why are they being used by Soldiers??? Because of the lack of understanding about quality optics at the G level. The fact that they are used does not make then better or worse, they are what they are.

Oh and the second that my unit impact card had funds available... I ordered 8 NF's. Luckly my command had a basic understaning about ballistics and optics. Went to the range, show them a box test with a Leupy along with some other tests. Game, Set, Match... Purchased new optics the next day.

Guys, I see what Leupold has been doing over last two years as a big plus. I have used MK4 3.5-10s in M1 and M3 versions for many years and think it is still a great scope. The new larger scope look to have some potential. I have several that are many years old, on AR15 SPRs and short bbl 308 bolts. They continue to serve me well.

As for the hate I guess I am old enough to remember when the only Tactical Scope we could get in USA was a Leupold. Unertl would only sell to military direct and no one else made anything worth a darn. Before Leupold stepped up we had LE Snipers with 3-9 Redfields and Weaver T-10s. I sure appreciated that MK4 when it came out.

I hope Leupold thrives and continues to bring out products.

Now before anyone says I have any vested interest, sorry but no plans on getting anything new from Leupold and have not gotten anything in four or five years from them.

This takes nothing away from all the very positive improvements in scopes in last few years by many others. March, NXS, Premier, SxB, Hensoldt, USO and SWFA SS line have stepped the game WAYYY UP and hard to compete with any of them, but competition is good

so what you are telling me "leg" is our PEO's dont know what they are doing? and they just bought the cheapest glass they could find. Or did they compare glass and select Leupold.

Ha Ha leg.

Yes thats exaclty what im saying... Whoever took the leupold contract did not know what they are doing.

Will leupolds fail everytime??? No, just some of the time. But they are most certainly not the best and no where near it

I don't understand why they are using "the California law's" as an excuse to why they don't advertise the scopes "Made in USA". I hate using NF as a example because it was beat to death in the other thread but it is indeed a perfect example.

Leupold claims they are not marked made in USA because the glass and illumination systems are outsourced (not all leupy's are illuminated BTW). Ok that's all fine and dandy but I don't see how that could make up 50% of the parts?

The NF F1 which should have just as many lenses that are admittedly outsourced to Japan are still marked "Made in USA" and they're still sold in Cali. You would think if they could be sued for this they would be much more careful than Leupold being they're a smaller company with less money. I think you'll find the illumination system on the F1's are still outsourced to Japan too since the guts look identical to the SFP models, there's no way they would make that part in house just to mark the scope "Made in USA" when "Made in Japan" never stopped people from buying before.

well, I guess I will start getting some snacks and a cold drink on this one. Thanks "leg" for showing me how the DOD Acquisitions system is broken. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy USOptics </div></div>

Both companies have good warranty service, but Leupold went the extra mile for me.

I personally would buy a NF over either of those and never have to use the warranty service. </div></div>

Sorry......had a F1 that was DOA......had to use their service....

If you honestly feel that Leupold is the best optic out there to be used by the Military then so be it.

But I dont know many that would agree with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy USOptics </div></div>

I personally would buy a NF over either of those and never have to use the warranty service. </div></div>

Sorry......had a F1 that was DOA......had to use their service.... </div></div>I also believe LowLight is having problems with one at RO currently.

It's a good thing everybody don't like the same thing or there wouldn't be enough to go around of what people did like. That said, what about the Zeiss line of scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you honestly feel that Leupold is the best optic out there to be used by the Military then so be it.

But I dont know many that would agree with you. </div></div>

Your realy taking this whole thing way out of context.First this post is about where they are made.I don't see where anyone said they are the best anything but they may be the most scope for the money or that met the contract requirements.The way some of you guys talk every time you twist a knob on a Leup you run the chance of it blowing up in your hand like an IED.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way some of you guys talk every time you twist a knob on a Leup you run the chance of it blowing up in your hand like an IED.</div></div>
laugh.gif
That is an instant clasic right there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attackpilot64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Please remember our soldiers use them over here in afghanistan on a daily basis.
</div></div>

And why are they being used by Soldiers??? Because of the lack of understanding about quality optics at the G level. The fact that they are used does not make then better or worse, they are what they are.

Oh and the second that my unit impact card had funds available... I ordered 8 NF's. Luckly my command had a basic understaning about ballistics and optics. Went to the range, show them a box test with a Leupy along with some other tests. Game, Set, Match... Purchased new optics the next day. </div></div>

LOL - <span style="font-weight: bold">"Always keep in mind that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder"</span>

Leupold makes a fine product, I personally have no complaints.

Well, i just score this brand new mark 4 for $500, and i think the price was right (yes i call leupold with the serial # and its real)so now im tacticool.......
I never have any complaints with my Leupolds, but i just shoot paper so their are fine for that and maybe more.....
[
DSC08540.jpg

DSC08537.jpg

DSC08534.jpg
]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way some of you guys talk every time you twist a knob on a Leup you run the chance of it blowing up in your hand like an IED.</div></div>
laugh.gif
That is an instant clasic right there! </div></div>
+1. I had a good laugh the moment I saw that line:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still won't be buying one. </div></div>

They could be handmade inside the Lincoln Memorial by Boy Scouts but I still won't be buying one either. I've just never really been happy with their glass. I do like their hunting scopes and warranty though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeNewb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why they are using "the California law's" as an excuse to why they don't advertise the scopes "Made in USA". I hate using NF as a example because it was beat to death in the other thread but it is indeed a perfect example.

Leupold claims they are not marked made in USA because the glass and illumination systems are outsourced (not all leupy's are illuminated BTW). Ok that's all fine and dandy but I don't see how that could make up 50% of the parts?

The NF F1 which should have just as many lenses that are admittedly outsourced to Japan are still marked "Made in USA" and they're still sold in Cali. You would think if they could be sued for this they would be much more careful than Leupold being they're a smaller company with less money. I think you'll find the illumination system on the F1's are still outsourced to Japan too since the guts look identical to the SFP models, there's no way they would make that part in house just to mark the scope "Made in USA" when "Made in Japan" never stopped people from buying before. </div></div>

Hey, no well thought out, logical posts allowed in this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeNewb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why they are using "the California law's" as an excuse to why they don't advertise the scopes "Made in USA". I hate using NF as a example because it was beat to death in the other thread but it is indeed a perfect example.

The NF F1 which should have just as many lenses that are admittedly outsourced to Japan are still marked "Made in USA" and they're still sold in Cali. You would think if they could be sued for this they would be much more careful than Leupold being they're a smaller company with less money. I think you'll find the illumination system on the F1's are still outsourced to Japan too since the guts look identical to the SFP models, there's no way they would make that part in house just to mark the scope "Made in USA" when "Made in Japan" never stopped people from buying before. </div></div>

Hey, no well thought out, logical posts allowed in this thread. </div></div>

Because the California law is much more stringent then what you believe.And there inlies the reason for this post people talk about things like they are fact without doing a 20 second google search to keep egg off their face.NF very well may find themselves on the bad side of this dumbass law as well.Im pretty sure parts of their Made in USA scopes come from over sea's ...hope they dont sell any in California.

http://law.onecle.com/california/business/17533.7.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeNewb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why they are using "the California law's" as an excuse to why they don't advertise the scopes "Made in USA". I hate using NF as a example because it was beat to death in the other thread but it is indeed a perfect example.

</div></div>

It's because the CA law has nothing to do with *50%* content, but requires *100%* US content to allow "Made in USA" labeling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeNewb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1) They *can* be sued by CA if *any* content is non-US

2) NF has a lot less to fear than Leupold because State AGs go after BIG transgressors before they go after SMALL transgressors: it makes for a better "example" value, and they can recover much more $$ in fines for the same investment in trial time. Because of the deep pockets law, Leupold has a lot more to lose...

3) NF is small enough that they probably don't have a full time counsel on board who is responsible for risk management and aware of the risks they are incurring, whereas you can be sure that Leupold does. In fact, everyone of these threads, where we point out that NF has non-US parts yet uses a Made in USA label, increases the likelihood that NF will get sued.

Ok, lets take a few moment's to exercise a little bit of common sense here. NF is a company with a lot to lose and I doubt they would advertise a product "made in USA" before having an attorney that actually knows how to interpret laws check into federal and state trade laws. US Optics is another company with a lot to lose that are advertised "Made in USA" and not only are they outsourcing glass but they are also based in California, and probably 90% of their sales are from there too. What's the next excuse for Leupold's excuses?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Because the California law is much more stringent then what you believe.And there inlies the reason for this post people talk about things like they are fact without doing a 20 second google search to keep egg off their face.NF very well may find themselves on the bad side of this dumbass law as well.Im pretty sure parts of their Made in USA scopes come from over sea's ...hope they dont sell any in California.

http://law.onecle.com/california/business/17533.7.html </div></div>

I don't really feel like arguing about this so I'll just say this;

I live in California and have worked manufacturing jobs that deal with this law - it's more than half the parts.

Leupold is a big company with a very wide range of products including scopes - I am willing to bet that some fit the criteria and some don't. In the end it's easier for a big company to say "the hell with it" and just not mark the boxes at all. Why fight it? All they would need is some monkey in their packing department to put a scope that didn't fit the criteria into a USA box and they could be in violation of the law.

When people ask me about this I just tell them to "if it's what you really want, buy it" and fuck the haters - if you end up not liking it, sell it. Simple.

Smart man. Can't always believe what you read. Just by Leupold answering like that about the "cali law" leads me to question their company even more. They might've been better off by not answering at all, then again it's their company ethics so if they want to hide behind lame excuses, so be it.

Bottom line is buy Leupold if you want... if not then look elsewhere. Simple.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I live in California and have worked manufacturing jobs that deal with this law - it's more than half the parts.

Leupold is a big company with a very wide range of products including scopes - I am willing to bet that some fit the criteria and some don't. In the end it's easier for a big company to say "the hell with it" and just not mark the boxes at all. Why fight it? All they would need is some monkey in their packing department to put a scope that didn't fit the criteria into a USA box and they could be in violation of the law.
</div></div>

BCP: You are totally right about a simple packaging mistake potentially creating a legal nightmare for Leupold - something that is much more likely in a large company of course.

But - I am afraid your info on labeling may be out of date. I have also held Kali jobs that have to do with this law, and our legal counsel has always been clear that the legal criterion is 100% (unless it changed in the last 3 years since I left CA): (quote)

"In a recent decision with potentially broad implications for businesses selling goods in California, the California Court of Appeal held that a product may be labeled “Made in the
USA” only if every part of the product has been made in the United States. Benson v. Kwikset, Daily Journal DAR 8116 (June 30, 2004). "

It can we looked up on Bingham . This Advertizing Law blog , dated about a month ago, discusses the consequences this law had, for instance, on Maglite, which was forced to change its labeling, because a couple of minute parts.

We need to bring optics manufacturing to the USA. All the parts in the scopes we use should be manufactured right here in the USA. Some companies are honest about telling you where the parts are made others are not. A company like Leupold should make every part here in the USA, and proudly say THIS SCOPE IS MADE IN THE USA... I would buy one.. bshooter

Easy to say until you have to shell out the money for overhead. Then the scopes would cost even more. Labor is cheap in other countries.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeNewb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, lets take a few moment's to exercise a little bit of common sense here. NF is a company with a lot to lose and I doubt they would advertise a product "made in USA" before having an attorney that actually knows how to interpret laws check into federal and state trade laws. US Optics is another company with a lot to lose that are advertised "Made in USA" and not only are they outsourcing glass but they are also based in California, and probably 90% of their sales are from there too. What's the next excuse for Leupold's excuses? </div></div>

This is becoming an exercise in futility... LongRangeN - rather than arguing ad vitam aeternam based upon SECOND HAND knowledge, go to the primary source and JUST READ THE LAW: several links to its summary and comments have been posted up already. It is VERY clear. AFTER you read the law, please let us know if there is ANY ambiguity in your mind.

Of course, I can tell you the answer right now. Ambiguity? There is NONE. Any part not made in the USA => cannot use the label.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

BCP: You are totally right about a simple packaging mistake potentially creating a legal nightmare for Leupold - something that is much more likely in a large company of course.

But - I am afraid your info on labeling may be out of date. I have also held Kali jobs that have to do with this law, and our legal counsel has always been clear that the legal criterion is 100% (unless it changed in the last 3 years since I left CA): (quote)
</div></div>

Our company went under the assumption they meant the "whole" of the good and not a single part - very interesting that they have decided that even a single part can violate it. Courts here never cease to amaze me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am writing up a review on the Mark 4 ER/T and I have been bothered by all sorts of people saying that Leupold's are not made in the USA. So I wanted to squash this rumor so I confirmed by e-mail, pictures, videos, and telephonic interview that Leupold Mark 4s are all designed and made in the USA. Short of me visiting the Leupold factory myself I have more than enough proof.

These are the questions that I asked(these are the most frequent questions that I hear here and on the shooting line):
1.) Is the Mark 4 line made in the USA?

2.)If made in the USA why does the scopes not contain "Made in the USA" like
older models.

3.)If made in the USA why was this removed from the box also?

4.)Everyone likes the fact that each Mark 4 comes with butler creek flip up
covers but wonders why there is no sunshade included?

5.)Can consumers expect an illuminated version of the ER/T line?

Answers:
-----Start of e-mail-----
#1 - Yes, the scopes are designed, manufactured and produced in the USA. Beaverton, Oregon.

#2 & #3 - All of the scope components with the exception of some of the lens, are designed, manufactured and produced right here in our facility. The lens are manufactured to our demanding standards off shore as Leupold is not a lens manufacturer.

Now with that said. The "Made in the USA" was removed from the scopes and the boxes due to the fact that there were other U.S. companies that manufacture their products here in the U.S. (that were proudly branded "Made in the USA") were sued by the State of California because, some of the components used in their manufactured products were produced off shore. So, Leupold made the decision to remove the verbiage from the products to prevent potential law suits. What a society we live in..

#4 - The Mark 4 line of scopes are manufactured and marketed as Tactical scopes and not target scopes therefore, the scopes are not equipped with sunshades. A couple more reasons are, it will increase the price of the scope (which they are not inexpensive as they are) and not every customer uses a sunshade and if they do want one, they know that the sunshades are available as a separate accessory option.

#5 - An illuminated EFR scope has been discussed and will probably become reality someday. When I do not know? Leupold has developed a scope called the CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm FFP .1Mil/click scope that has an illuminated dot at low power at the request of the military. I know you are going to ask... No, at this time it is not available to the general public. It will become available possibly next year once the Military contract as been fulfilled. How much...? I don't know.. Sorry but, I have told you all that I am allowed to right now.

Thank you and Good Shooting...

-----End of Email-----

I hope this clears up a lot about the Leupold's

</div></div>

How does that clear anything up about Leupold optics other than 5 direct response questions? The bigger issue that wasn't touched on are the legitimate gripes that users of Leupold products have had with their glass.

More like a "even though we don't say it and it's nowhere present on our material, we're 100% Made in the USA - spread the good word & buy our products" marketing thread scenario playing out.

This Leupold issue is a dead horse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered 3 more 8.5-25's. I find them to be an excellent value. </div></div>

Whats the going price on those if you don't mind me asking?

I was born in Winchester MA.

And left that garbage dump ASAP . Thanks for playing .

since everyone on here thinks they are crap they always get sold cheaply so I have picked some MK4's up cheaply. I have no issue as long as I don't have to pay retail for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeNewb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...there's no way they would make that part in house just to mark the scope "Made in USA" when "Made in Japan" never stopped people from buying before. </div></div>

The "Made in Japan" didn't stop me, but tracking issues and glass quality did. While Leupold is not my "go to" scope, I have a few Mark 4s that are better than any NF I ever owned.