• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold mark 5HD 5-25x56 TMR reticle question

Huxtable_hurt_me28

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2020
Found a Leupold mark 5HD 5-25x56 with TMR reticle. Want to use this scope for PRS. Any suggestions? Good choice?

If I'm thinking of the right reticle, it's going to come up a little short for some stages. Its pretty basic.. but you'll be fine for the majority of shooting.

If I'm thinking of the right reticle, it's going to come up a little short for some stages. Its pretty basic.. but you'll be fine for the majority of shooting.
It is pretty basic, it’s the reason I asked. You don’t think I would regret it? Should I hold out for a different reticle?

Don’t quote me on anything but I think I recently listened to a shooting podcast where the guest teased new reticle(s) Being released by Leupold sometime in the near future. Thinking about a mk5 myself.

Don’t quote me on anything but I think I recently listened to a shooting podcast where the guest teased new reticle(s) Being released by Leupold sometime in the near future. Thinking about a mk5 myself.
What do you think about the TMR reticle?

I think that holding in empty space sucks when you need to hold for wind and elevation and make a precise shot. The TMR is probably ok if you will always be dialing for elevation. But, a Christmas tree reticle like the CCH is more useful if you actually need the graduations.

Yea I think I need to let the good deal go. It’s not really a good deal if the reticle is trash.

Yea I think I need to let the good deal go. It’s not really a good deal if the reticle is trash.

Non PRS guy here.
Have you held over with a standard milling reticle? Was it a challenge for you? I don’t see it being any slower than a tree reticle at any distance that makes sense to shoot that way. I can hold up and over fairly easily with a standard reticle. I bet you can as well too. But like I said I don’t shoot on the clock other than having a little fun so there is that.

The advantage of a tree reticle is when you get outside the TMR’s 5 mil reticle. If you hold over beyond that angle then it’s a no brainer. 5 mils gets you a long way out there. The further out the shots the less benefit of holding over is in my eyes as the room for error is less. Of course you can dial a certain amount in your scope before a stage and still be within your 5 mils at any given time.

I think the TMR makes a great cross over reticle in that it is a little thicker than others, which would be my preference for hunting.

For competition shooting there is merit in a tree reticle being able to hold for elevation and wind. In situation where I have time to dial elevation I will 100% of the time but when shooting matches with very short time limits being able to hold is definitely an advantage.

That being said I don't like any of the tree/grid reticles offered in the MK5hd and don't like the limited FOV the scope offers.
For the same money I'd be looking at the Burris XTR3 or Razor Gen2 for a competition scope.

What do you think about the TMR reticle?

My Gen 1 Razor had an open center which I never really liked. Switched to the AMG with the EBR-7 reticle with center aiming dot and liked that much better. Last few scopes I've bought (Gen 2 RZR, 5-25 Strike Eagle, ZCO 527 MPCT2) all have that center dot and it has become my preference. I also like having the elevation hash marks in the reticle numbered so if I'm on a stage where I have to hold over, getting confused on which hash mark I'm holding on is less of an issue.

I've never shot through a TMR reticle. I'm sure with a lot of practice, just like anything else, you could be quite successful with one.

TMR is just their standard mil dot reticle (no christmas tree or extended holds). I have the CCH reticle and love it. But its up to you. If you are getting a deal on the TMR used it would be a good buy.

I like the open center of the tmr, but the 1/2 mil hashes and only going 5 mil out from center makes it a bit of a dated design. However it is simple and un-cluttered. Reticle choice is going to be user preference at the end of the day.