• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mark 5HD Owners - Question

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    What are the turrets "supposed to be like" on the Leupold Mark 5HD? Do the tick marks perfectly align? Does each click correspond directly with tick marks on the elevation knob being directly aligned to the reference mark on the scope tube (i.e., you don't have to spin one click past your destination and go back to get alignment)?

I want to make sure my expectations of a $2,200 MSRP scope aren't... out of line.

Story:
    I just received my second Leupold Mark 5HD. The first one delivered to me had a bad turret that wouldn't unlock (without a lot of force) and would only turn just shy of one revolution before getting stuck again on the lock. The tick marks on said elevation turret were also very misaligned -- in fact the entire turret structure below the elevation turret was slightly off vs the reference mark on the tube. I contacted Leupold, they said they'll warranty it. Fine... except I have to be without my brand new scope for (according to them) about 6 weeks. I mean shit happens and Leupold's staff was nice and give me an 2-day shipping label there but... the next 6 weeks for me is the most time I'll have all year to go shooting so I asked the reseller... exchange? Thankfully, after a bit of a "debate", the reseller exchanged it.

Welp... received the new one today. The elevation turret on this one is kind of loose feeling. The tick marks are again misaligned vs. the reference mark on the tube. This time less so... that is until you get to about where the 6 MIL tick is and then the alignment is just completely off. On top of that, when I turn the dial, I have to manually place the elevation knob's tick mark in alignment with the reference mark when I reach my destination (it's like... a gummy feeling turret) -- they don't just line up, you kind of have to go one click past your end point and return once in order to get the tick marks lined up properly.

My Nikon FX1000 is better than this and it cost me 1/4 the price. Most of my hunting scopes are Sightrons... the tick marks line up perfectly all the way around the dial.

Is this how Mark 5HDs are? Or am I just riddled with bad luck here?

I have had 4 of them and none were like that for me either. All the clicks lined up and were very crisp. Sounds like you got a bad one

I have had 4 of them and none were like that for me either. All the clicks lined up and were very crisp. Sounds like you got a bad one

ANOTHER bad one. In a row. I don't get it...

I dont know either. I would assume that when you sent yours in that they repaired it and did not send you a brand new one. I have heard that Leupold is bad on repairs and it may take a few times of sending it back to get it repaired correctly. I have only sent in a VX3 in the past because the reticle would not move and they fixed it right away so I am not sure how true the stories I have heard are.

I've never heard Leupold being bad on repairs. I just don't feel like their MARK models should need to be sent in out of the box. I was told the quality control on these things was aggressive by the rep I spoke to. That's why I decided to exchange for a faster turn around. Frustrating.

The replacement was indeed unopened. (Not that Leupold spends much money on boxing their product... i.e., they don't put plastic over the scope.)

My bad one the detents felt good and all lined up fine, it just didn't track, so when they sent me the new one, I had lost all interest in it at that point and sold it. Zero regrets, the glass was great though.

I've never heard Leupold being bad on repairs. I just don't feel like their MARK models should need to be sent in out of the box. I was told the quality control on these things was aggressive by the rep I spoke to. That's why I decided to exchange for a faster turn around. Frustrating.

The replacement was indeed unopened. (Not that Leupold spends much money on boxing their product... i.e., they don't put plastic over the scope.)
    My replacement was new in the plastic blister pack, I would have been pissed if it was opened when I received it.

Dope I had on for a ladder test. Mine lines up, all the way through into the 3rd rev and at the zero stop. Tracks 100%. You do have to line it up when you reset the turret.
    FF72A78D-2189-4D81-95D8-E173B937A00E.jpeg

I just checked both of my MK5’s. I would say that they both have about a quarter of a millimeter in play in the turrets before a very distinct and clean click. Is that what you’re talking about?

If your alignment is messed up, are you sure you set the zero correctly?

I just checked both of my MK5’s. I would say that they both have about a quarter of a millimeter in play in the turrets before a very distinct and clean click. Is that what you’re talking about?

If your alignment is messed up, are you sure you set the zero correctly?

I haven't even mounted the scope. This experience has been straight out of the box.

The play you are describing is what I have, yes. When you advance a click, the turret tick mark is actually almost entirely past the reference on the tube. I have to manually go ever so slightly backward to realign the turret. Even at 0 the tick mark is not dead aligned. All of that is absolutely infuriating right there... but eventually the tick marks just don't align no matter what starting at about 5 MIL then it gets bad by 9 MIL almost advancing into the next tick mark when it shouldn't... then mysteriously cleans up again as you get closer to the 0.

The play, though... on a $2,200 MSRP scope... when I have Sightrons, for example, that cost 1/4 of this thing and they line up AT THE CLICK every single time and have next to zero play. I get that play is a thing with these zero stop turret designs and what not but common... mine is bad.

Ive had 5? Still have my pr2-mil 5-25, will prob get a pr1-mil in 3.6-18 for a lighter hunting optic. None of mine have had any turret misalignment or revolution stiction issues.

I haven't even mounted the scope. This experience has been straight out of the box.

The play you are describing is what I have, yes. When you advance a click, the turret tick mark is actually almost entirely past the reference on the tube. I have to manually go ever so slightly backward to realign the turret. Even at 0 the tick mark is not dead aligned. All of that is absolutely infuriating right there... but eventually the tick marks just don't align no matter what starting at about 5 MIL then it gets bad by 9 MIL almost advancing into the next tick mark when it shouldn't... then mysteriously cleans up again as you get closer to the 0.

The play, though... on a $2,200 MSRP scope... when I have Sightrons, for example, that cost 1/4 of this thing and they line up AT THE CLICK every single time and have next to zero play. I get that play is a thing with these zero stop turret designs and what not but common... mine is bad.
    I don’t have the misalignment issue that you’re describing. I just ran through the range of adjustment and it is aligned throughout. Although I can induce the the faintest bit of play, if I release the pressure the turret is centered.

I don’t have the misalignment issue that you’re describing. I just ran through the range of adjustment and it is aligned throughout. Although I can induce the the faintest bit of play, if I release the pressure the turret is centered.

Wanna trade?

Wanna trade?
    Can’t say you’re selling me on it. Assuming it’s not some simple oversight, two bad in a row is some shit luck that will probably leave a lingering bad taste in your mouth. Maybe it’s not too late for a refund.

Mine is Solid and tracks perfect. Like said before the turrets are one of the best features.
    A little hard to believe this story

Goodness... CNN's fact-checking committee has arrived.

I'm not going to post my emails with Leupold. Didn't record my phone calls with them or the reseller so... sorry?

The photo below is the first scope I got on the zero lock straight out of the sealed box. Lift off the turret and you see the lock detent is off-center, too. The second one I didn't take pictures of -- I was pissed to high hell and boxed it back up and emailed the reseller demanding I be refunded so I can move on. If they refuse, well... then I guess it'll get sent to Leupold and hopefully it gets squared away so I can finally have a scope.

If the reseller doesn't refund me, you'll find out who they are. They exchanged against their "no returns" policy already so they haven't earned a public roasting. The scopes are coming directly from the distributor which is called Hicks, Inc., a major outdoor stuff distributor.

IMG_3272.jpg

I would question the reseller about how their merchandise is handled. Maybe someone getting aggressive with your unopened box.

My first mk5 was the same way. Turrets were misaligned. I’m a nobody shooter so it didn’t bother me at first. But then as time went on it did and sent it back. They replaced the turrets then all was good.

Mine is Solid and tracks perfect. Like said before the turrets are one of the best features.
    A little hard to believe this story
    To be fair, the second box he received was indeed opened, no plastic blister pack so either they repaired or gave him a used scope in return. I know when my MK5 had issues, it took Leupold forever to come to a conclusion and they did not like the idea of sending me a new optic as replacement, even though this optic was defective straight out of the box. It took alot of persuasion to get a new optic so that I could just sell it and move on.

To be fair, the second box he received was indeed opened, no plastic blister pack so either they repaired or gave him a used scope in return. I know when my MK5 had issues, it took Leupold forever to come to a conclusion and they did not like the idea of sending me a new optic as replacement, even though this optic was defective straight out of the box. It took alot of persuasion to get a new optic so that I could just sell it and move on.
    When did Leupold start shipping scopes with blister packs? This a new thing.

The scopes have serial numbers on them not to hard to figure out if they have beem repaired. They always sent me a letter back detailing what they did to fix problems. Never seen this plastic blister pack. Im starting to think most people are full of shit.

When did Leupold start shipping scopes with blister packs? This a new thing.
    You tell me, but if your trying to insinuate I am telling tall tales, I purchased it from a very reliable vendor here which I have purchased a few top end optics from. Both of the optics had plastic on the boxes that I received.

I think I can help with this Pam...Pand....Delimma

I think your confusing "shrink wrap" or plastic wrapped box with "blister pack" which is like a plastic shell....no box like a POS Tasco you'd get from Wally World......

But what do I know......

The scopes have serial numbers on them not to hard to figure out if they have beem repaired. They always sent me a letter back detailing what they did to fix problems. Never seen this plastic blister pack. Im starting to think most people are full of shit.
    Edited, my mis wording on the plastic may have caused some confusion.
    20210626_165444.jpg

Attachments

• 20210626_165457.jpg
      20210626_165457.jpg
      316.5 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:
    I think I can help with this Pam...Pand....Delimma

I think your confusing "shrink wrap" or plastic wrapped box with "blister pack" which is like a plastic shell....no box like a POS Tasco you'd get from Wally World......

But what do I know......
    Correct sir.. I did not mean a clam shell plastic, like a Trashco comes in from Wally World, I guess shrink wrap would have been a better way of wording it..

Reactions: screaminweasil
    No worries on my end....just figured some were confused by the nomenclature used.
    Thanks for the pic and clarification.

I know the difference between blister pack and plastic wrapped box christ sorry to make you piss all over yourself.
    Not a problem, I just don't like being told I'm full of shit is all.. glad we could put this to rest.. On with the thread...

I have a mk6 3-18 as well as a mk5 3-18. The turrets on the mk 5 are much better than the squishy ones on the mk6. I really like it.

to the OP
    slacken off the lock screws and take the slack up then tighten , there should be about 1/4 MM slop when the lock screws are slackened off .

Reactions: HousePlant

The second box I received wasn't opened. They both were shrink-wrapped sealed. The problem is there's evidence the first one had been repackaged (you can easily re-shrink wrap a box... the back room of any OfficeMax has a shrink wrap machine). The first one had SO MUCH dust on the scope including the lenses and smudges on a few places that were lazily wiped. The second one appeared unopened.

So... the second one is on its way to Leupold now. I've asked the turret be trued up to the expectations I think I am allowed to have for a $2,200 flagship scope and the tracking to be validated because I now have zero faith in this scope and am out the money I paid for it now for over a month now with nothing to show for it except a 35 min wait in a Post Office line. Hopefully they get me squared away!

to the OP
    slacken off the lock screws and take the slack up then tighten , there should be about 1/4 MM slop when the lock screws are slackened off .

Tried that because my Nikon Black FX1000s need you to do that to get the turret just right. It had zero effect. The turret tick marks are almost exactly in-line until about 6 through 9 mill, ends up totally off, then returns back as you pass 9 and head back toward 0 again. The turret or the mechanism is bad. It's also so sloppy compared to the Mark 5s I've had a chance to experience just yesterday that I cannot accept it as-is. I'm frustrated, to say the least.

The second box I received wasn't opened. They both were shrink-wrapped sealed. The problem is there's evidence the first one had been repackaged (you can easily re-shrink wrap a box... the back room of any OfficeMax has a shrink wrap machine). The first one had SO MUCH dust on the scope including the lenses and smudges on a few places that were lazily wiped. The second one appeared unopened.

So... the second one is on its way to Leupold now. I've asked the turret be trued up to the expectations I think I am allowed to have for a $2,200 flagship scope and the tracking to be validated because I now have zero faith in this scope and am out the money I paid for it now for over a month now with nothing to show for it except a 35 min wait in a Post Office line. Hopefully they get me squared away!
    My bad, I thought you received it unsealed. At any rate, enjoy your long ass wait for leupold to get you squared away. Seems like it took me like 8 to 12 weeks to get my replacement sent out. Good luck...

Ug... thanks for making me even more unhappy. If I had the money, I'd get another scope now but... that money is tied up in the Leupold.

My goal was to get all US-made/assembled stuff purposefully avoiding LOW-factory scopes, which I've been unhappy with. If Burris had any stock, I would have gotten their XRS III (while they're still made in the US). Maybe I'll wait for their new Pro model but that's honestly too expensive and honestly I hate the red accents on it. Aesthetics shouldn't matter but at the same time... they do.

I also have a Timney HIT trigger going in for warranty brand new bought from the same reseller... I'm convinced something is amiss.

Picked a bad time to assemble this rifle I've been saving and saving for, haha.

Ug... thanks for making me even more unhappy. If I had the money, I'd get another scope now but... that money is tied up in the Leupold.
    I hear ya man, I felt the exact same way. I was so happy when they sent me a brand new one so I could sell it and move on..

Yes, dipshit. The attitude isn't necessary.
    So why are you throwing attitude like a 6th grade girl then? I don't see where you filled us in on anything besides your "I took it out of the box, and now I am mad routine." To which no one probably gives a flying fuck, nor does anyone probably give a flying fuck where you bought it. Mostly I think people are wondering if you are full shit, trolling, or actually hit the lottery and got two bad scopes with the same problem.

In my experience when someone keeps getting something with the same problem, and no one else is having the same problem, its usually the nut behind the scope thats loose.

Probably wondering how you are going to get Burris to make you a Bushnell scope too. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My goal was to get all US-made/assembled stuff purposefully avoiding LOW-factory scopes, which I've been unhappy with. If Burris had any stock, I would have gotten their XRS III (while they're still made in the US). Maybe I'll wait for their new Pro model but that's honestly too expensive and honestly I hate the red accents on it. Aesthetics shouldn't matter but at the same time... they do.

I also have a Timney HIT trigger going in for warranty brand new bought from the same reseller... I'm convinced something is amiss.

Picked a bad time to assemble this rifle I've been saving and saving for, haha.

So why are you throwing attitude like a 6th grade girl then? I don't see where you filled us in on anything besides your "I took it out of the box, and now I am mad routine." To which no one probably gives a flying fuck, nor does anyone probably give a flying fuck where you bought it. Mostly I think people are wondering if you are full shit, trolling, or actually hit the lottery and got two bad scopes with the same problem.

In my experience when someone keeps getting something with the same problem, and no one else is having the same problem, its usually the nut behind the scope thats loose.

Probably wondering how you are going to get Burris to make you a Bushnell scope too. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Awww… tap tap on that keyboard!

I get their model numbers mixed up. Whoops!

Go find something more useful to do.

Consumer Alert​

We strongly recommend against purchasing optics purporting to be Leupold products from www.wish.com, www.ioffer.com, www.aliexpress.com, and www.alibaba.com, among many others.
    Leupold® is issuing a consumer alert to purchasers of Leupold riflescope products, particularly via internet sales, in regards to counterfeit Leupold products that are illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These fake products bear many of the trademarks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes, and are sometimes difficult to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products.

Common counterfeit scopes purport to be Mark 4 riflescopes, VX-III riflescopes, Prismatic riflescopes, CQ/T riflescopes, LCO sights, and Deltapoint Pro sights. These counterfeits are regularly returned to us for service due to failures; however, counterfeit products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. We do not provide service for counterfeit products.
    counterfeit_1.png

• Wow

Consumer Alert​

We strongly recommend against purchasing optics purporting to be Leupold products from www.wish.com, www.ioffer.com, www.aliexpress.com, and www.alibaba.com, among many others.
    Leupold® is issuing a consumer alert to purchasers of Leupold riflescope products, particularly via internet sales, in regards to counterfeit Leupold products that are illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These fake products bear many of the trademarks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes, and are sometimes difficult to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products.

Common counterfeit scopes purport to be Mark 4 riflescopes, VX-III riflescopes, Prismatic riflescopes, CQ/T riflescopes, LCO sights, and Deltapoint Pro sights. These counterfeits are regularly returned to us for service due to failures; however, counterfeit products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. We do not provide service for counterfeit products.
    counterfeit_1.png

Buying through any non-authorized Leupold dealer puts customers at risk to getting a bootleg product.

How about bootleg 'boots'? :ROFLMAO:

maxresdefault.jpg