• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 5HD

Havoc_1_Actual

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2019
Western NY
Anyone have any experience with these? Considering one in their 3.6-18x44 Config’s and was curious if anyone has any feedback, positive or negative on actual use with them. THANKS!

Relax man. Nothing like attacking a new guy. He just joined today.

As far as your question, it’s a great scope. Best in my opinion for a gas gun.
Thanks man. Yeah a friend of mine (whos a bit of a Leupold fanboy) raves about the Mark 5’s. I want something solid for my 18” AR15.

Reactions: Holliday
Relax man. Nothing like attacking a new guy. He just joined today.

As far as your question, it’s a great scope. Best in my opinion for a gas gun.

If you consider that an “attack”.. maybe you should rethink firearm ownership.

Reactions: plong
If you consider that an “attack”.. maybe you should rethink firearm ownership.
Wow, way to fall into the whole internet troll role. We’re supposed to be all friends here, and if you’re that quick to snap at a new guy maybe you should rethink firearm ownership? A little compassion goes a long way.

Wow, way to fall into the whole internet troll role. We’re supposed to be all friends here, and if you’re that quick to snap at a new guy maybe you should rethink firearm ownership? A little compassion goes a long way.

Do you have anything to contribute to the Mk 5 discussion or are you here to “troll”

A) I gave him the information he was looking for and b) told him how to find it himself in the future

Thanks man. Yeah a friend of mine (whos a bit of a Leupold fanboy) raves about the Mark 5’s. I want something solid for my 18” AR15.

Welcome. Personally, I think the MK5HD 3.6-18x44 is a great candidate for an SPR or DMR type setup, or large frame AR. Besides being compact and lightweight, it does offer a lot in terms of features and quality. Overall I don't think you'll be disappointed if considering this optic. From your handle it sounds like you're either active or prior service. Be sure to contact Leupold direct and take advantage of their Mil/Gov/LE pricing. One of the best direct manufacture discounts in the business. Good luck with your decision.

I hoping to get one for my hunting rig. I like that the windage is capped. A must for a hunting scope IMO.

Welcome to the Hide!

Welcome. Personally, I think the MK5HD 3.6-18x44 is a great candidate for an SPR or DMR type setup, or large frame AR. Besides being compact and lightweight, it does offer a lot in terms of features and quality. Overall I don't think you'll be disappointed if considering this optic. From your handle it sounds like you're either active or prior service. Be sure to contact Leupold direct and take advantage of their Mil/Gov/LE pricing. One of the best direct manufacture discounts in the business. Good luck with your decision.
So that’s one of the reasons I’m looking at that optic. I have an account with them, and while I have had great experiences with Leupold, I’ve been hearing a lot of negative feedback from the community about their QA/QC and their customer service. I know that regardless of the issue, a lot of people will have varying experiences with companies, I’m just wondering if I should stay away from them on those reasons alone? I’ve seen some good things with Vortex and of course theirs always NF...which includes having to sell bodily organs in order to afford one! Lol

Reactions: Blackfoot 7
I hoping to get one for my hunting rig. I like that the windage is capped. A must for a hunting scope IMO.

Welcome to the Hide!
Thanks! I had some mixed feelings on capped turrets as I’ve always ever used exposed ones...but I’m starting to appreciate them being capped, especially the LPVO’s.

Reactions: HogsLife
I played with a 3.6-18 a few days ago at a Sportsmans with the TMR, and I think it’s a winner. The weight savings vs the Vortex razor gen 2 is substantial. I have a Bergara 6.5cm that needs a new optic, now the question is 3.6-18 or 5-25?

I played with a 3.6-18 a few days ago at a Sportsmans with the TMR, and I think it’s a winner. The weight savings vs the Vortex razor gen 2 is substantial. I have a Bergara 6.5cm that needs a new optic, now the question is 3.6-18 or 5-25?
Personally, I don’t get the chance to go out past 800 much, with a lot of my range time somewhere between 100-200yds typically. So I’ve found my sweet spot to be in the 3 or 4 on the low end. 5 and up just makes it a little tough, though not impossible.

As Blackfoot 7 said, it’s a great scope. He and I know one another, and have shot together.
I don’t have one, but I would trust his opinion.
I have another buddy that had one for a bit, and it seemed very solid.
I’m a NF guy. They are absolutely my favorite, but.....if I wasn’t so NF, I’d own a MK5 in a minute.

Welcome to The Hide, and keep us posted on what you do.

I love
As Blackfoot 7 said, it’s a great scope. He and I know one another, and have shot together.
I don’t have one, but I would trust his opinion.
I have another buddy that had one for a bit, and it seemed very solid.
I’m a NF guy. They are absolutely my favorite, but.....if I wasn’t so NF, I’d own a MK5 in a minute.

Welcome to The Hide, and keep us posted on what you do.
thanks for the input! I also like NF...I’ve used a couple “lower end” models of theirs in the past and was definitely impressed. Thanks again for the input, I’ll definitely keep y’all posted! Thanks again!

So that’s one of the reasons I’m looking at that optic. I have an account with them, and while I have had great experiences with Leupold, I’ve been hearing a lot of negative feedback from the community about their QA/QC and their customer service. I know that regardless of the issue, a lot of people will have varying experiences with companies, I’m just wondering if I should stay away from them on those reasons alone? I’ve seen some good things with Vortex and of course theirs always NF...which includes having to sell bodily organs in order to afford one! Lol

I think any of those would be soiid choices, but I wouldn't hesitate to give Leupold a fair shake. They are putting out an excellent product with the Mark 5HD series. I think NF makes a better optic overall and I'm always considering them, but you are paying a bit more as well. At the end of the day, I have a nice clear view through the MK5HD, the reticle is a pleasure to use, and the rounds I'm sending downrange are impacting where I want them to be. If your optic meets that end state then everything else is just a matter of what you're willing to pay to get the features or quality you want for your money.

Last edited:
I think any of those would be soiid choices, but I wouldn't hesitate to give Leupold a fair shake. They are putting out an excellent product with the Mark 5HD series. I think NF makes a better optic overall and I'm always considering them, but you are paying a bit more as well. At the end of the day, I have a nice clear view through the MK5HD, the reticle is a pleasure to use, and the rounds I'm sending downrange are impacting where I want them to be. If your optic meets that end state then everything else is just a matter of what you're willing to pay to get the features or quality you want for your money.
I’ve always liked Leupold, though I never used them until I was given the opportunity to carry a bolt gun in the Army. They definitely exceeded my expectations in the durability, clarity and accuracy arenas. I was introduced to NF when I met up with some JSOC guys downrange and was impressed with their stuff too. Whenever I build guns now, I always tailor them to towards a “combat ready” setup and have to constantly remind myself there’s not much of a need to do so as im not running those missions anymore. With that said...got to be prepared for that zombie apocalypse!

@Gregb has the 5-25 and 3-18. Ive shot with them and the 3-18 is a perfect size for the AR platform. You wont be disappointed.

I have the H59 5-25 on my 6.5 RPR and ABSOLUTELY love it. I sold my Razor after getting it.

I just ordered the 18x with the CCH reticle to go on my 308 gas gun. Just waiting for brown to deliver it.

I've got a 3-18x Mk5HD on an 18 inch Grendel and was shooting cloverleaf groups with it at 600y last week. I've got no complaints.

What was the main gain vs the MK6 3-18?

On paper, the MK6 is lighter and shorter with better FOV and eye relief.

Because the MK5 actually tracks true. The glass is excellent, the turrets are solid. The scope tracks true, and it’s much more competitively priced.
Overall, a solid scope.
I’m ALL NF, but I damn near had a MK5 on my GAP-10, but my buddy moved it before I decided that. ?

Reactions: IntoTransonic
I have mounted her and will post some info within the next three weeks. We will be competing in the WLSC at Valdina in three weeks. I will take it through testing, tall target testing, and spend a competition with her before really giving a run down.

There are four scopes manufactured (tremor 3), and Team JJ Rock ELR Team has three, and we will put them thru a tough test under recoil and competition conditions.

Good luck and great shooting
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee
Team JJ Rock
Instagram: ChrisSchmidt_ELR

Last edited:
Nice. Deciding between this and the NF 7-35x as my next long range scope investment. Leaning heavily toward the Leupold though. Looking forward to your thoughts on this optic once you get it mounted up.
I’m in the same boat...you have experience with NF? I have not owned one personally and am always looking for feedback about it. Ive used Leupold quite a bit and know what to expect from them.

Anyone have any experience with these? Considering one in their 3.6-18x44 Config’s and was curious if anyone has any feedback, positive or negative on actual use with them. THANKS!
I just sold my Cronus BTR to purchase the
Mark 5 5-25 CCH I will be shooting a match within the next month or two.
Im anxious to test it out

I’m in the same boat...you have experience with NF? I have not owned one personally and am always looking for feedback about it. Ive used Leupold quite a bit and know what to expect from them.
I only have extensive experience with the 1-8x ATACR, but have played with the 4-16x ATACR, NXS and others that belonged to friends or guys I've trained with. I would defer to my friend @VegasHKShooter (above) who is currently running NF glass almost exclusively.

I have a 5-25 Mark 5 with CCH reticle mounted on a 6.5x47 rig that I use for PRS. I have done a tall target test, run dope out to 1000yds couple of times, practiced a bunch, and shot two 2-day matches with it. About 1000 rounds so far. Scope tracked exactly in elevation (at least within the error margin of my test). Didn’t test windage. Dope has stayed spot on so far. I really like the reticle. Very functional in PRS type shooting. Elevation turret zero stop feature is a nice functional feature. The glass is on par with vortex AMG and gen 2 razor. Integral throw lever is nice. Turret clicks are easy to feel. My big dislike is the windage alignment reference mark. The reference mark is so far from the turret marks you can’t tell which mark is lined up based on your viewing angle. Not a huge deal since I hold wind, but is bit annoying when zeroing the rifle.
Overall the scope is a solid performer, has been reliable so far, utterly repeatable, and the CCH reticle is great. I would recommend if you typically hold wind rather than dial.

Reactions: Havoc_1_Actual
I just received a Mk5 3.6-18 last night and took it over to a buddies to compare it to several of his scopes. Ended up being a perfect still night and we spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Mk5 and a Gen 1 razor.

The Mk 5 had a noticeable edge in clarity as we compared images of a junk pile at about .8 miles. It held its own on brightness up until the bitter end. I found the scope bright and didn't see any distortion at the edges of the FOV.

If I have any complaint its that the reticle is fine on 3.6. The outer portions of the reticle are thicker and draw your eye towards the thinner center. Its still workable and after about 6x I don't see any issues with the reticle.

Overall I really like the layout of the scope. Time will tell if its durable and reliable.