• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold mark AR :P

Thediscgolfkid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Benicia, CA
Hey guys, I know I haven't been on in awhile! But I'd like to hear your opinions.

Well first off I'm a bolt action kinda guy mainly (rem 700 SPS tac, .308, leupold mark 4 LR/T 3-9x40), however I recently bought a 20" bull barrel for an ar lower. Now, I love leupold, they've never steered me wrong on anything else I've owned by them (range finder, spotting scopes etc) so I decided to try this one out. It's coming in the mail, however I'd like to see what you guys have to say about it :) msrp was around 400$, but I found it for 270$ new. Also, and I know I'll get blasted by this... But I also bought a sun optics USA base/rings for it. Anyone have any issues/good experiences with those? I'm honestly not looking for the worlds most accurate setup.. But would like to be able to keep it on a 12"x12" at 500-600 yds :)

Did you get the Mark AR Mod 1 that is mil/mil?

The 3-9x40 Firedot version looks to be a pretty decent option for a budget SPR/multi-purpose rifle optic, with the exception of somewhat limited elevation (I think 56 MOA).

I had a mark AR, I had no problems keeping it on a 12x12 at 500 yards. That was with a RRA car length 5.56. No info on the base or rings, but the scope is fine for your use.

Thank you guys!
I got the duplex reticle with 1/4 moa turrets. I figured I've always used moa, would be easier to stick with it haha. Do you guys think the base I chose should be sufficient? Here's a link to the base/rings I chose...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...tm_medium=confirmation&utm_campaign=transmark

If you already bought it you already bought it, hopefully it works well for you.

The leupold mark AR scopes are okay i would get the mildot version at least should be 300$ all day long.

FWIW, the last 300 dollar scope I bought was a super sniper 10x.

For the cost they are a helluva scope. I have the 3-9x40 mildot version with the mil knobs on my FN TSR 223. Best/cheapest scope I know of that is mil/mil. (Last statement up for debate I am sure)

I have a MOD O 6x18 duplex and love it. This is my first scope but one of my friends has a few schmidt and benders as well as an SWFA and a Leupold Mark 6. That being said, I've been able to compare my Mark AR to some nice high end glass. The glass in my Mark AR isn't as good as the high end optics by the scope stays zeroed just fine and functions perfectly. For the money, the Mark AR by Leupold is a great deal IMO.

I have a MOD O 6x18 duplex and love it. This is my first scope but one of my friends has a few schmidt and benders as well as an SWFA and a Leupold Mark 6. That being said, I've been able to compare my Mark AR to some nice high end glass. The glass in my Mark AR isn't as good as the high end optics by the scope stays zeroed just fine and functions perfectly. For the money, the Mark AR by Leupold is a great deal IMO.

You have compared it at 200 meters and in, under ideal daylight conditions, and without testing tracking or any real mechanical features.

Point is, at 100-200 meters, you won't even start to understand the difference between a Schmidt and Bender and a Leupold Mark AR.

You have compared it at 200 meters and in, under ideal daylight conditions, and without testing tracking or any real mechanical features.

Point is, at 100-200 meters, you won't even start to understand the difference between a Schmidt and Bender and a Leupold Mark AR.

You do understand that all I was saying is that while my glass isn't as good as the high end stuff it works as advertised and for the money gets the job done without a hiccup.

You do understand that all I was saying is that while my glass isn't as good as the high end stuff it works as advertised and for the money gets the job done without a hiccup.

Fair enough. I guess what I was trying to say is that your statement is parallel to "I have a Honda Civic that I really like. My friend has a BMW M3 that he club races and its a nice car, but my Civic still gets me to work."

Edit to add: I do agree that it is a fine scope for the money. The mil dot/mil turret mod 1 looks to be a nice upgrade as well.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I guess what I was trying to say is that your statement is parallel to "I have a Honda Civic that I really like. My friend has a BMW M3 that he club races and its a nice car, but my Civic still gets me to work."

In that sense, yes, that's what I was saying. My scope isn't as nice but it get's the job done given my application (200 meters and less). That is what this thread is about, right? Opinions on the Mark AR.

In that sense, yes, that's what I was saying. My scope isn't as nice but it get's the job done given my application (200 meters and less). That is what this thread is about, right? Opinions on the Mark AR.

Fair enough. I guess I jumped all over the comparison too much, and perhaps I read too much into the implication that I thought was there.

You guys don't like CTD? You know, I have noticed their prices are ridiculous compared to a couple years ago...
They are a group of fucking Jackasses, about half the guys on the hide including me, have been treated with terrible CS and now their greedy motives have come to the surface because of the craze with insane price gouging, such as $90 pmag's and $2370 MP15's, they are worse then GB. As a result, most of us on the hide will never support their business ever again.