• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mk4 6.5-20 TMR reticle calibration question

TXLEO

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2013
Central Texas
At what magnification is the reticle accurate for ranging etc? Since it is a SFP scope, it should only be at one point correct? The reticle stays the same size no matter what magnification it is on.

It's a first focal plane scope-if I recall correctly....range at any magnification.
Just curious- you turning the focus knob on the left or the magnification adjustment on the body of the scope?

Was turning the magnification knob. using focus to well, focus. I could have sworn SFP. I'll double check. Thanks!

I learn something new every time I log in here....some times it's how little I know...

Last edited:
You can range at three magnification settings. 20x is obvious, 6.5x and 10x are also easy. 10x is going to be extremely useful if you're shooting and its hot with a ton of mirage when 20x gives you nothing but distortion.

To find 10x (half magnification) measure anything at 100 yards (3Mils for example) and turn the magnification down until it measures half of what it just did (1.5Mils to continue the example).

Now that you know where 10x and 6.5x are, here's the simple solution: Mil the target just like normal, if you're at 6.5x just take the mil reading without worrying about the difference yet. Once you get your yardage from the Mil Ranging Formula, divide it by 3. For 10x divide it by 2.

Example: 40" E-type vertical target multiplied by 27.78 (Constant for answer in yards) is 1111.2, divide that by a measured (at 6.5x) 0.5mils gives 2222.4 yards. Divide by 3 to account for 6.5x and with one quick additional step 6.5x magnification gives an accurate range estimate of 740.8 yards.

Simply run the damn formula like normal, divide by 2 (half power) or 3 (1/3 Power) and poof! SFP scope can range at more than full power. And as an additional benefit to guys like me who don't do tactical competitions where FFP is a very real advantage, I get the fine reticles I love.

Hope that helps your ranging OP. Take your SFP scope and run, FFP isn't the only way to go and there are still a few of us who don't like them for our own uses.

Great advice, just make sure you test it out at 10 and 6.5 X to make sure it works as calculated.

Particularly 10X being the most useful alternate to 20x and also because you might need to make a very fine mark on the scope and magnification dial to find that exact spot where the calculations meet reality.

You can range at three magnification settings. 20x is obvious, 6.5x and 10x are also easy. 10x is going to be extremely useful if you're shooting and its hot with a ton of mirage when 20x gives you nothing but distortion.

To find 10x (half magnification) measure anything at 100 yards (3Mils for example) and turn the magnification down until it measures half of what it just did (1.5Mils to continue the example).

Now that you know where 10x and 6.5x are, here's the simple solution: Mil the target just like normal, if you're at 6.5x just take the mil reading without worrying about the difference yet. Once you get your yardage from the Mil Ranging Formula, divide it by 3. For 10x divide it by 2.

Example: 40" E-type vertical target multiplied by 27.78 (Constant for answer in yards) is 1111.2, divide that by a measured (at 6.5x) 0.5mils gives 2222.4 yards. Divide by 3 to account for 6.5x and with one quick additional step 6.5x magnification gives an accurate range estimate of 740.8 yards.

Simply run the damn formula like normal, divide by 2 (half power) or 3 (1/3 Power) and poof! SFP scope can range at more than full power. And as an additional benefit to guys like me who don't do tactical competitions where FFP is a very real advantage, I get the fine reticles I love.

Hope that helps your ranging OP. Take your SFP scope and run, FFP isn't the only way to go and there are still a few of us who don't like them for our own uses.

jdr724 that is definitely the truth. I failed to mention that the half magnification (10x in this case) needs to be marked so that it is repeatable one accurately measured. I use a gold paint pen on the magnification ring to make a small line, that line's left and right edges can be very closely matched to the line (nightforce) or dot (leupold) that denotes the currently selected setting. In short: find it, mark it, and repeat it.