• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mk4 and Mk6, help me decide

sr15match

Lost........
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Wellsville, NY
Specific models I am looking at are the Mk4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm (34mm tube) Front Focal Tactical Milling M5A2 Locking 67810 and the Mk6 3-18x44mm 115943. Both have the TMR reticle, 34mm tubes and are FFP.

Besides a slight magnification advantage going to the Mk4 over the Mk6 what is the general consensus between the two besides the obvious. The Mk6 being the new model in line but what are the end users opinions? I've read good and bad about the Mk6 regarding misalignment with the turret and reticle but haven't seen much said about the tweaked Mk4.

What's your thoughts between the two??

I have both.

Of course, it depends on how you will use them, but for my use, the primary trade off is that the Mk6 is more useful due to the lower magnification and shorter length. These advantages come with the downside of more cost.

The Mk6 has a significant magnification advantage with the 3x low end which makes the scope usable for hunting or tactical shooting at pretty much any range. The short length, means I can put any of the three clipons I have in front of this scope on any of my five active rifles.

The Mk4 is a decent long range scope for 200yds plus shooting and I can put at least one of my night capable clipons in front of it on all five rifles, but the two other clipons, the COLR and the Apollo (thermal) will not work on my 7.62 rifle with only 14.25 inch of usable rail space.

So, basic trade off between usability and price. The Mk6 being usable over a broader range of use cases at a higher price, but Mk4 being lower cost, but be more restricted in it's use cases. I have both and use both. The right answer for you depends on your use cases and your budget.

Last edited:
Does the mrk4 have a zero stop feature?

I had the 30mm mark 4 with mildot reticle and MOA turrets.

I bought a mark 6 due to size/weight, matching turrets/reticle and has zero stop feature.

I like mine and don't have any issues with mine. 18 power is nice for 1000 yards and the cross hair is hollow In the center.

Mk4 is like buying a 1995 Honda Civic that has sat in a garage for 20 years and has 10 miles on the odemeter. Granted they now have FFP/34MM, but they are a little late to the party. Especialy at the insane prices they want for them.

It's old tech, and grossly overpriced for what you get.

The MK6 is superior in almost every way. I would also implore you to look at other options.

For the price of the MK6, there are much better choices out there IMO

Excellent feedback! From what I read the Mk4 has a zero stop feature which is a bonus on this model.

Liberty Optics has both scopes, the Mk4 is $1899 and the Mk6 is $1799 so it's a toss up cost wise. OAL isn't going to an issue as I'm not running any NV devices but I guess could be a future consideration. I'm kind of a magnification whore but if the glass is good enough in the Mk6 then 18x might be dandy. What ever optic I buy it'll typically only see the varmint fields and the range while it rides around in the truck. Rough handling in the truck will be its worse treatment.

Any reason you are looking at just Leupy? Is it beacuse of their Military discount program? Just trying to get some more info.

There are also new Steiner products coming online in the next few months in that same price range. From the Specs and their history of making great optics, it would be VERY wise to give them a look before dumping money into leupy.

Just my .02

Any reason you are looking at just Leupy? Is it beacuse of their Military discount program? Just trying to get some more info.

There are also new Steiner products coming online in the next few months in that same price range. From the Specs and their history of making great optics, it would be VERY wise to give them a look before dumping money into leupy.

Just my .02

I'm looking at several options but for the sake of simplicity as there's a lot of choices in the $1800-2000 price range I chose two optics that are a very similar apples to apples comparison. If I wanted to stretch the budget it opens the door to even more / superior options. Reality is, I don't "need" a kick ass Kahls, S&B, Steiner, or USO. The "want" is always there but I'm just being realistic to myself is all. I do understand what you're saying though.

Last edited:
I have a MK4 4.5-14 illuminated model with TMR and was my primary for a couple years. I have no complaints about it. The glass is great even in low light and I had no issues with tracking. It was replaced by a BEAST and just sits in my safe, but I have no plans to part with it. I'll probably throw it on my ar-10 one of these days but it doesn't see too much action. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I've got the mk6 and everyone complains about the clicks having play but it hasn't kept me from hitting anything in a match. It has a little play left and right but it tracks perfectly. The benefits of a capped windage turret, the length and the weight on a power range of 3-18 set it apart from most other scopes especially at the price. The locking turret is nice for in the field and for matches I just throw a zip tie on the turret so it spins freely and I don't have to mess with the locks.

I have had a few mark 4s, all have tracked perfect/ returned to zero and have good glass so I have been happy with them, if you can get the discount they are hard to beat. I have the mark 4 model to mentioned as well and like it. I am not a fanboy and am happy to switch to whatever works best for me, I have no reason to switch so far. My only complaint is no illum on the m5 a2 FFP model you mentioned.

I'm not a fanboy but I've had success with Leupold over the years and it keeps me a returning customer. I've used 3.5-10x40 (M1 & M2), 6.5-20x50 M1, 8.5-25x50 M1 (currently on my wifes Cooper Montana Varminter), and 10x40 M3.

I was curious if the "updated" Mk4 I have listed was enough of an upgrade with the 34mm tube and turret / locking system to warrent the price and was a viable comparison to the Mk6 that I listed. It's a buyers market that's for sure and there's no shortage of good products. I'll buy what makes sense although I do have my preferences.

I have both the two of Mk4 ERTs that your looking at and a mk6........ Both are great scopes, don't let anyone push to other optics, that new mk4 34mm is a great scope that tracks perfectly......we've bench tested a couple of them and they are spot on through 20 MILs.

I'd say for a full size rifle the mk4 would be my choice for hunting or match work. I run the mk6 on scout rifle and it's flawless too. Both scopes have zero stops and revolution indicators, with 10 MILs per rev....I have enough elevation to get to 2000 yds with the mk4 on my 300 win with a 20moa rail.

The turents are quite different, pinch turn in the mk6 and push button on the mk4, On the mk4 I depress the button with my index finger and can rotate the turret through one full rev while with the pinch turn on the mk6 I have to reposition my hand to get a full turn.

The TMR is a good reticle, both are FFP so I'd say weight and size of the host rifle would drive my decision.

BTW, I've seen the prototype of the new Steiner, again today in fact and it doesn't hold a candle to the 34mm mk4

Buy with confidence........I can post some pics when I get home next week if your interested.