• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold MK4 LR T 3.5-10 still good?

Wins10runsacp

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2018
CA
I was wondering if this is still a viable option when buying used? considering how the market has changed significantly and a lot of offerings are available from mid-level scope companies from glass, zero stop and such... I have a 3.5-10 non illum being offered and was wondering if it's still good or look elsewhere? it's going on a mid range build and i wouldn't expect to be shooting distance with it...

Last edited:
Some questions:
-What kind of rifle is it going on? Bolt or AR/semi-auto
-Is 10X as high as you'd like to go?
-Is the field of view at 10x ok for your application(s)
They are decent scopes with decent glass, but they are fairly dated. Personally I wouldn't pay any more than $500-600 for one.
Considering that there are decent scopes from Vortex that offer a lot more for a few hundred dollars more, I'd be hard pressed to go for the Leupy.

Cameraland has the BushnellElite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44 Flat FArk Earth FFP G3 reticle for $750.00. Little more money but way better scope with more modern features and outstanding warranty.

Is it an older SFP model will moa turrets, or the new FFP with Mil turrets? That makes a difference in value. The models with illumination obviously command a higher price because of the guys building clone correct rifles. I've had both the older LR/T (SFP) with M1 turrets, and the newer Mk4 (FFP) with M5 turrets, and the newer model had much better glass.

I'd like to find an older Mk4 (SFP) non-illuminated model with the 1/2-moa elevation turret for a truck gun, but I can never come across the non-illuminated models with that turret.

Some questions:
-What kind of rifle is it going on? Bolt or AR/semi-auto
-Is 10X as high as you'd like to go?
-Is the field of view at 10x ok for your application(s)
it’s going a AR 13.9” Triarc setup. I don’t expect to go distance and never really looked up 10x distances.
Cameraland has the BushnellElite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44 Flat FArk Earth FFP G3 reticle for $750.00. Little more money but way better scope with more modern features and outstanding warranty.
I have that on my 18” AR but wished I went illuminated 🤦🏽‍♂️
Is it an older SFP model will moa turrets, or the new FFP with Mil turrets? That makes a difference in value. The models with illumination obviously command a higher price because of the guys building clone correct rifles. I've had both the older LR/T (SFP) with M1 turrets, and the newer Mk4 (FFP) with M5 turrets, and the newer model had much better glass.

I'd like to find an older Mk4 (SFP) non-illuminated model with the 1/2-moa elevation turret for a truck gun, but I can never come across the non-illuminated models with that turret.
The turret up top has M5 on them - and it’s a FFP with MIL adj turrets.

Reactions: Alpine 338
That's a good deal on a FFP/M5 model. They are typically $900+ on the used market.

Good glass, and will serve you well. I had mine on a Rem 700 5R .223Rem and it worked well out to 1000-yards on steel targets.

Agreed for a bolt gun.....Get a 1-10X intended to go an an AR-type rifle...you'll appreciate the simplicity/ease of use compared to this Leupy.... Any idea on the tube diameter? 30mm or 34mm? I have two mk4 with M5 turrets of the 34mm version....They are awesome scopes. But I'd likely never put one on an AR of the type you're describing.

Any idea on the tube diameter? 30mm or 34mm? I have two mk4 with M5 turrets of the 34mm version....
It’s a 30mm - I’ve been a dot guy for some time and never cared much about higher end scopes because they don’t get much use for me and I didn’t know if these are “obsolete” or not considering the market. Personally I don’t see the need for a 1x; I’ll run offset red dot

I think if youre going to load up some 69gn or 77gn BTHP loads in an attempt to hit things accurately at longer distances then this scope would be a decent place to start - if you could get it for less than $600. But you'd likely need to change your upper to match those loads as well -to get the most out of them....like an 18" SPR barrel for starters.
Just my $.02...worth everything you paid for it.

Plan your scope for the type of shooting you plan on doing.

I currently run NF 2.5-10x42, S&B 4-16x42, and 3-20x50 on my ARs, all with backup Red Dots. I'm not kicking down doors, nor engaging combatants in CQB situations, only doing team match comps, so I'm happy with my setup's. I know guys who do coyote hunting with ARs, and they all use 6-24x scopes on their platforms.

The MK4 with m5 turrets are solid scopes. I have a 6.5-20 on my 6.5 creed as a placeholder until I can snag a MK5 or Kahles to replace it. I've taken it out past 1200 repeatably.

Reactions: Wins10runsacp