• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mk4 spotter, H32 vs H36?

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
SC
I am looking at picking up a Mk4 spotter 12-40x with inverted Horus. I see they offer the H32 and H36. Which of these 2 is most commonly used, i.e. Is one superior to the other? Any info on these two would be appreciated.

I recently had conversations with two knowledgeable shooters on exactly this subject.

The most significant difference is that the H36 grid sits higher relative to the optical axis than the H32. This means that, at higher power, less of the H32 grid is visible, but that also means less of the visual field is obscured by the H32 grid.

H36: more grid at high power, more obscuration.
H32: less grid at high power, less obscuration.

You can simulate high and low power settings with the reticles here: Horus Vision

In both their opinions, it boiled down to a matter of personal taste.

I got the H32 because I didn't have any interest in the cockamamie ranging scale off the side of the H36.

I bought the inverted version with intent to mount it Spotter 45/60 style but as yet haven't gotten around to it.

In practice, I love it. I actually prefer the grid up above rather than below, and for milling targets, nothing else I've ever used compares. It allows me to judge sizes down to ~.050 mrad, which means I often come within 2-3 yards of true distance even for targets at 700-800 yards.

Haven't used the H36, but have ZERO complaints with the H32.

If your not already committed, might consider the big picture role of a spotter and consider the value of a simple TMR for non clutter sake. If you are committed and found this to be annoying, please forget I mentioned it.

Reactions: falling_maple
If your not already committed, might consider the big picture role of a spotter and consider the value of a simple TMR for non clutter sake. If you are committed and found this to be annoying, please forget I mentioned it.

As a matter of personal preference for LR/XLR, I find the thickened portions of the TMR (and many other) stadia, especially the stadia at 12 o'clock, far more obtrusive than the Horus grids.

Last edited:
Got H32 on Mk4.

- Way too rough for precision milling, both 0.2mil deviation and line weight wise.
- Too covering for spotting, impacts particularly. If you put grid on top of TGT, you cant see any details on it or around it.

Good side is that big part of FOV is clean for actual observation. Id go with TMR or similar.

Last edited:
out of curiosity what do you plan on using the spotter for? We picked up a Leupy spotter with the H36 so we could determine size of an object at distance. I can range with a PLRF but the size of an item at distance is a little hard to tell through the optic with out a good reference. The 36 has MOA and Mil references, just gives a little more info for ID'ing what Im looking at.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408322159.612519.jpg

TMR 40x

Hensoldt Spotter 45 w/ H32, 45x at a 1k yards. Its great for getting really accurate corrections but a bit too much for me and I wasn't holding the reticle on top of the targets. Ended up selling it for the "L" Shaped Mil-Dot in the Spotter 60. Mirage was a bitch throughout my course at the Sig Sauer Academy in NH.

*Iphone Pic