• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold mk6 3-18 w/ tmr reticle

Re: Leupold mk6 3-18 w/ tmr reticle

The 1-6 has a CMR-W with the small circle and BDC for 5.56 or 7.62.

The 3-18 is also avail with the CMR-W 7.62.

Excellent review Musef, looking forward to shooting with it on my SCAR as well. WM.Penn, I will get some reticle shots tomorrow afternoon and post them. I wont get to shoot until next week because my lower is at HANDL Defense getting fixed...that's a different story.

I believe 33shooter is referring to the TMR-D in the 1-6x which looks like this on 6x:
image-1.jpg

Oh I see what you mean, that circle would make the reticle much easier to see at lower magnification but may obscure parts of the target at high mag. The 3-18 does not have that circle pattern.

Who's got these in stock with the TMR?

Here are two pictures, one at 3x and one at 18x. These aren't great quality as I took them on my compact quickly and didn't have time to properly setup. The 3x is definitely more visible than the picture shows it to be.

I took it outside today for a better look on a sunny day. It appears to have a little more noticeable chromatic aberration at 18x when looking at high contrast outlines. Not bad, but a little more than I previously thought. Image is still very good overall.

3x
334pzzc.jpg

18x
akh3c8.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtibbals</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does this compare to an HDMR?</div></div>

I'm curious about this as well. As much as I'm impressed by the HDRM (good features and value), I think the optical quality is sub-par especially as you approach full magnification. I'm also a bit frustrated with the turrets. Still, having wanted an optic with more magnification and an H59 to try, the HDMR was a relatively inexpensive gamble. But after having run it for a while I'm thinking the Mk6 3-18x might be a better choice.

Nice pics. Thanks, Musef. Looks quite usable at 3x although I would anticipate it being slightly difficult or at least a little slow against darker backgrounds. The deal you got sounds amazing. I see that Grab-a-Gun has an old listing for a Mildot version at $1710 but of course it's out of stock:

http://grabagun.com/scopes-optics/scopes/leupold-115946-mark-6-rifle-scope-3.html

Their in-stock listing for the CMR-W is $2200:

http://grabagun.com/scopes-optics/scopes/leup-mark-6-3-18x44mm-m5b2-mat-cmr-w.html

I'd say anyone who wants one should jump on it for $1900. Looks like someone already did since I posted the cheaper than dirt link. It's no longer in stock at that warehouse but they still have it at another:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/6-0930954

That was probably me
wink.gif

I'm going to throw it on the long range/hunting rifle I'm working on putting together. Fits the bill exactly for what I was looking for, so hopefully it meets my expectations.

Well played, sir. Look forward to your review.

If Leupold would release a version of this scope with the low profile knobs shown in Lowlight's review of the DAGR model (link below), in conjunction with a highly visible lit reticle (perhaps along the lines of the TMR-D), then I could probably justify the weight penalty vs. a NF 2.5-10x (on my 18" 6.5 Grendel) and what sounds so far like slightly inferior optical performance vs. the Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3605330

I shot my Mk6 3-18x44 last evening on the SCAR 17 and I had no problem picking up the reticle while centering on a black target at 100m. It was overcast and was dark enough for headlights to be on. More to come as I get time on the range next week.

Everyone who looked through it seemed impressed by the quality and the size, its short!

As I mentioned in the OP, I too would really like to see a version with an illuminated TMR and the Low Profile turret.

Unfortunately it's not looking good. Leupold is offering a low pro turret and illumination with the Tremor 2 reticle, and SWFA has it listed at $4633.00.

Mark 6 with illuminated Tremor 2

So thats over 2 grand premium for the illumination and the low pro turret versus the pinch to turn turret Tremor 2 version.

It seems like a typo or something - totally insane.

^^^

If only it was a typo. I confirmed this through the Leupold MIL/FED rep. I think it is designed to keep civilians from depleting stock until mil orders are fulfilled? Either that or they have lost their minds. I expect it will drop down considerably in the coming year just like the CQBSS did.

In the meantime, I ordered the 3-18 with TMR for my REPR. With the pricing, I think it was a pretty damned good option. I can always sell it later and get the illum if It is reasonable and I really "need" it.

For those of you who have purchased this scope, help me out here: What makes it preferable to the Premier Light Tactical? The 1.7" of length savings, the 1.3oz of weight savings, the $320 of cost savings? I like the turrets, the reticle and the glass better in the Premier (based on what I'm hearing about the Leupold), so I'm looking for some other ideas on how folks are weighing these trade offs. Thanks.

Yeah that low-profile turret looks nice. I've never legitimately used illumination on my scopes, so I'm not too butt-hurt about that, but for $4600 they can keep it.

I will do a review if I find time. This will be my first FFP scope so I'm pretty excited. I've been a NF whore up until now. I wish NF would make a F1 2.5-10x32mm.

LedZep, my favorite use of an illuminated reticle is shooting bowling pins by moonlight with an AR. Eccentric, perhaps, but don't knock it till you've tried it.
smile.gif

I agree about the F1 2.5-10x. I think that scope will eventually exist if NF can ever find the time to design it.

wm.penn the Leupold has a lot more adjustment than the LT does. The LT will get a .308 out to 1k with 12 mils, but the MK6 has 100MOA of adjustment, a considerable difference. I'd say that was the biggest reason to go with the Leupold. If you need illumination and will not go over 1k, the LT would be a great option. If you might need more adjustment, and will not need illumination, or need the absolute smallest package, the MK6 is it.

I have this scope with the h-58 retical. I wasn't sure if I needed it at first but after having it I think it was worth the cash. My ability to make quick adjustments with the retical and to capitalize quickly at the moment has made a big difference in my ability to hit small targets at long distance.

Great point, 33shooter. I had forgotten about the difference in elevation travel since I'm scoping a 6.5 Grendel and have no use for anything more than 12 mils. The 100 MOA in the Mk6 certainly make it a more flexible scope for use with longer range cartridges.