• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK6 3-18x44...anyone have one yet?

cms81586

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2005
AZ
I'm still waiting on a few reviews as relatively little is out there on these scopes. Any info is appreciated.

Re: Leupold MK6 3-18x44...anyone have one yet?

Got to shoot one at a competition and I am not the biggest Leupold fan, but that is a great scope. perfect power, clarity, and adjustments. It is great scope and might even steer me away from Nightforce.

Thanks for the imput. Everything on paper looks great and after using US Optics, Nightforce, and other high end optics, I have no qualms using Leupold scopes (owned a few).

The only one I have seen in private hands anywhere is the one flyingdog had here on the Hide. That was back in June, he hasn't posted since then, he did mention he was waiting on a rifle. As for illumination, I think its going to be a wait, maybe next year, although Sumpter Steve did say he fondled an illuminated one, probably at the factory. Loved the scope when I handled one, if it had a different reticle I would probably buy one, add illumination and I think I definitely would.

I looked at one at the Marine East Expo and was impressed with how light and compact it was. I'd be interested in one of these if they offered it with the TMR reticle.

I just got off the phone with the Leupold guys. They are in fact offering the Mark 6 3-18 in 3 reticles: CMR, H-58, and the Tremor 2. The Tremor is not listed on the website yet, but he said they are taking pre-orders for it now. I also wish they were offering it with the TMR reticle. When I free up some more cash, I will probably get the TMR reticle in the Mark 6 1-6 for the AR-15. Now I just need to decide if I want the 3-18 to be the H-58 or the Tremor 2. Decisions, decisions...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Munson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got off the phone with the Leupold guys. They are in fact offering the Mark 6 3-18 in 3 reticles: CMR, H-58, and the Tremor 2. The Tremor is not listed on the website yet, but he said they are taking pre-orders for it now. I also wish they were offering it with the TMR reticle. When I free up some more cash, I will probably get the TMR reticle in the Mark 6 1-6 for the AR-15. Now I just need to decide if I want the 3-18 to be the H-58 or the Tremor 2. Decisions, decisions... </div></div>

That is good news on the Tremor 2, I'll be pre-ordering mine shortly.

Did Leupold have an estimate of when the Tremor 2 reticle would be available?

Did they say what the price was going to be for the Tremor 2?

Found some places online that are selling them and the seem to be about $300 or so more than the CMR-W.

Tremor reticle is same price as the H-58.

Its a great scope - but the TMR reticle is ass, get the H58 or Horus, and as much as I like and respect Jim Smith, I'm not a fan of the CMR-W reticle - especially in the 3-18x, I can live with it in the 1-6x, but not in a sniper scope.

Illumination was not requested or desired by the folks who wanted this scope in the .mil

There was a long debate - but everyone said no eventually.

I had one on loan for 2 weeks before I left the states, H58 reticle. For the price, distributer or .mil discount(NOT MSRP), this is a hell of an optic and a huge jump forward and back in to the market for Leupold.

I still have no idea what Leupold is doing with the reticles they are choosing, the current options leave a bunch of gaps in the consumers choices.

I will respond to your pm on the other site later today with more info.

I've been interested in these as well. My preference would be for the H59 reticle. I'd also like to see one in the MSR reticle. What happened to the H59 anyhow? Nobody seems to be offering it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been interested in these as well. My preference would be for the H59 reticle. I'd also like to see one in the MSR reticle. What happened to the H59 anyhow? Nobody seems to be offering it... </div></div>

I don't think anything has happened to the H59 reticle per se, it is being offered by at least a couple of companies. That said, it makes 0 sense for Leupold to choose H58 over H59, so my best guess is that the decision was made before H59 became available from Horus.

Did a T&E with one that had a Horus reticle. This scope is nice! Only complaint is with the reticle selection. Luppy, put a TMR in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Munson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got off the phone with the Leupold guys. They are in fact offering the Mark 6 3-18 in 3 reticles: CMR, H-58, and the Tremor 2.</div></div>

I just called the Leupold Fed/Mil sales department. The Tremor 2 version of the scope is not available, and they had no timeframe for a release.

Anyone have alternate mounting recommendations for a T-1? The windage cover partially obstructs the T-1.

PA020128.jpg

Have not had a chance to zero yet...

Well lo and behold a picture of a MK6 on the Hide, finally . Now Blac06 can we get a review. By the way perhaps a DD 1 o'clock offset rail might work.The scope does seem to mounted very far forward, any particular reason for that?

I have no idea why you have the MK6 mounted that far forward but a possible option would be to use a 90degee T1 mount or slide the 45degree unit bellow the ocular instead of the objective (you will still have your fov obstructed but it will not be as obvious).

Any Hide vendor carrying these scopes?

Thank you for your T-1 recommendations.

The scope is mounted forward due to me shooting NTCH; It is mounted on a 5.56 Reece.

I forgot to mention it has a non-illuminated H58 reticle.

I decided to mount the T-1 forward so it would not interfere with adjusting the scope power and SPORTS.

I still have not been able to zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any Hide vendor carrying these scopes?</div></div>

We've had some trickling through with H58s. Send me a PM if you'd like more info.

Sean

Just got my 3-18 with H-58 reticle in the mail 2 days ago. Just got it mounted tonight and hopefully out to the range tomorrow. I'd put some pics up but I have no idea how to do it. The clarity seems outstanding. Eye relief seems pretty good, although I have not been able to take it out and really do anything with it yet. When I get out and get some rounds out I'll post my thoughts.

Does anyone have any new thoughts to add to this? I am interested in the MK6 but it a lot of cheese for something with little info and reviews posted.

We got one in and I really disliked it. We got rid of it quickly. The size is actually nice, but it had a weird effect (chromatic aberration) where if you looked at something white then moved your head a bit it would turn greenish then would turn bluish. I really wanted to like it because on paper it seems great. My biggest complaint was not the visuals but the turrets. They were the worst turrets I've felt in a long time. I'm very particular about turrets, it's almost like you can tell the amount of thought and effort that went into the scope by the turret, along with the experience level of the designer. These you could turn about a full .1 mil in either direction without even "unlocking" them and without a click. Also locking turrets, while the chic thing these days, are not very useful in my opinion and only add bulk, cost, and complexity. Neither myself or anyone I know has ever had such and issue with turrets that they needed a lock, that includes military time. Some people like them, that's fine.

That said, Lowlight mentioned/tested and Leupold had on display at SHOT a 3-18 with a pretty nice turret that didn't lock and wasn't the size of a coke can that was supposed to be the chosen version of the mil unit. Because of the unit's preference for it, it may be awhile before it gets released. That's if I remember correctly what I was told. Currently for the money I would not choose that optic. A possible alternative is the Steiner 4-16 which we have and like although it is huge. They're coming out with a nice sized 3-15. Also I would get the NF F1 or the March FFP scope. Those are the ones that we've been accumulating here. A possible candidate at the next tier would be the new S&B they had at SHOT which was a 3-20 or something but a compact version and it was pretty slick. Good luck, check Ilya Koshkin's site (opticsthoughts.com?) for his reviews which are superb.
Justin

I'm fairly certain that this scope is being offered in the TMR reticle as well for all still interested and who haven't found out about it yet.

I think you need mounting recommendations for that mark 6. Think eye relief to a fully extended UBR stock...I would pay to watch you shoot in that configuration. Nice build btw

Anyone have alternate mounting recommendations for a T-1? The windage cover partially obstructs the T-1.

PA020128.jpg

Have not had a chance to zero yet...