• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold or NF

Helidriver

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Surprise, AZ
OK OK OK. I know how you guys feel about Leupold but bare with me. I just picked up a Savage 10PC in 308. A short, compact little rifle that I plan to sling over my back and hunt with. I would like to stick to a 40mm or less objective for the scope. The two that I've come down to are the Mark 4 3.5-10x40 or the NF 2.5-10x32.I have a Leupold Mk4 on another rifle and so far it's been a good scope. The NF is a lot more cash. Is it worth the extra $$$$ over the Leupold?

Re: Leupold or NF

No. Stick with the Mark 4 and the $$$ you'll save is money in your pocket. I have both and can't really tell the difference till you get WAY out there. Plus look at the weight, although I don't think the 2.5X10 is much heavier than a Mark 4.

Just my .02

There is a screaming deal on a MK4 2.5x10 FFP TMR with a set of badger rings on AR15.com classifieds....I was looking at both of those models as well.
CC

Im inclined to say Nightforce, however if you can get a Leuopold that isnt bad out of the box and your saving $$$ go for it.

How many dollars will you save if you go Lupy-nightforce are solid as can be and you can buy one and own one with confidence -youve already got douhbts about even getting a decent new Lupy otta the box! Buy once go nightforce or even consider the sightron 3.5-10 x44 solid performers and not costly

I've had both the Mark 4 and NXS, I won't go back to the Mark 4. the NF is a bit heavier, but you can't break them. I've had the Luppy get knocked off zero by a hard knock, but never had that problem with the NF. It really depends what type of shooting your doing, if it's just range time, either will do. If you plan on taking it into the field, NF all the way.

Tyler

Chevy
laugh.gif

CP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id spring for the NXS every time. </div></div>

+1

Never buy anything a few weeks before the Shot Show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never buy anything a few weeks before the Shot Show. </div></div>
haha +1 forgot about that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never buy anything a few weeks before the Shot Show. </div></div>
haha +1 forgot about that! </div></div>

Or a few weeks after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never buy anything a few weeks before the Shot Show. </div></div>
haha +1 forgot about that! </div></div>

I forgot as well, guess my NF F1 will take awhile to get! Oh well...

Seriously, Ive only owned a NF for a very short time and its been knocked around a bit and its still holding strong

Nightforce scopes are tops

I have both. I like the NF more but we use Leupold's at work so I use the MK4 as kind of a training aid. "Train like you fight" so I have a 700P with MK4 exactly like our work rifles.

I'd say get the NF

I have/had both and like both. The NF is definately a rock solid scope. I think both would serve you well, you just have to decide which you like better. I found pros and cons with each. I really couldn't tell a big defference in the glass. The turret clicks are quite a bit better on the NF, Leupold could do much better with their clicks. I like the location of the illumination switch on the NF but I don't like that you have to remove the knob to adjust the intensity, should be able to do it with the knob. I don't really like the location of the illumination knob on the Leupy but at least it's easy to adjust the intensity of the illumination, which is more important to me. The NPR1 reticle that I had was really thin. That would be really good for precision shooting if your eyes can see the reticle well, but mine couldn't. I guess my eyes are really starting to suck cause I never could see the reticle very well. My main gripe with the NF, and maybe I'm being too picky here, is that the entire eye piece turns when you adjust the magnification. I hate that! What's the purpose for this? I guess my main gripe with the Leupy would be the mushy clicks!