• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold or Nightforce?

cliffw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
I’m trying to decide what glass to put on my SR15. I thinking of either the Leupold 67915 Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 or the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32.

Looking for advice I have never owned a nightfore but read a lot of good stuff about them.

Re: Leupold or Nightforce?

thanks, I did not see that one.

I see where wildcatsfan is coming from and I'm sure this EXACT matchup might've been discussed...even if it hasn't I'm sure NF would've been the winner. But neither of these links were comparing the models he asked about. The first is "Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm or Leupold Mark4 6.5-20X50mm"...not even close. The second is "Nightforce 2.5x10x32 NP-R2 and the Leupold LR/T 3.5x10x40"...one of them was right.

I have used Leupold glass over the years and have it on my MK11 mod 0. I have read a lot of good things about Nightforce but have never owned or used one. I’m going to go with the Nightforce, it seems that I will get the most bank for the buck.

I am running into the same dilemma. However, it's between the NF 2.5x10-32 and the IOR 2.5x10-42mm. I like that the IOR has a mil reticle (MP-8) and mil knobs for less than $1200 with rings. The only down side is it's 21 ounces. The NF has a mil dot reticle and mil knobs for $1500 with out rings. It weighs 19 ounces. So, I still am thinking of which one to get.

I myself am going with the leupold MK4 M2, found one for 814$ with Illumination and TMR reticle. So cant really compare and i like the 36mm objective. Seems perfect for a MK12 Mod 1.

I've also been looking at these 2, as well as the IOR 2-12x32 for a compact 16" AR scope. The IOR has parallax adjustment which is nice, but a lot of people say you won't need on a low power optic. Just another to consider though. If one came up used, I think i'd fall all over a USO 1.8-10 as the perfect AR scope for me.

To those who are looking at the IOR scopes. IOR will have a 1x10-26 FFP mil/mil with 30 mil of elevation coming out this summer. As per Liberty Optics web page they should be out in June. This is the scope I will be putting on my AR.

Here is the link:

http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&target=otherurl.html&ourl=D11

Look under Dusting this baby off with a new product sneak peek!

Here some pics:

proto.jpg

proto2.jpg

front.jpg

The NF 2.5-10X32 would be my choice despite the price difference.

If you have the extra money to spend NightForce.

I've seen the 1-10 in person, they are going to be 2k or so. It's a 1.25 too not a true 1X. Personally I thought it would make a great optic for an AR308 but it was too big/heavy for a 223.

As far as what the OP is talking about I would get either the nf 2.5-10 or ior 2.5-10 FFP (probably the latter unless I found a deal on a used NF).

There is a used NF 2.5-10 in the optics for sale section here. Looks like a great deal.

Let your budget drive your choice. I have an NF on my 700 and a leupy MK4 on my AR. They're both great optics and you'll be happy with either.
If price isnt a problem for ya, try and compare them in person if possible. Cost was a factor with my AR so I went with the latter after comparing and im happy with it.
Hope this helps

Nightforce is the way to go.... just look through the two side by side of you ever get the chance... Outstanding customer service and they are built like a tank.

With my recent purchase of a Nightforce scope and how great it has performed I would suggest Nightforce. I have not owned alot of the high end brands folks speak of but out of the ones that I have its not even close.

I'd go with the Mk4.
10moa/rev on the NF vrs 30moa/rev on the mk4.
No zero stop on the NF is no good either as with so little evelation/rev it would become common (for me) to get lost in the turret if you shoot very far.

If they just changed their damn elevation knob, the NF would be sweet.

The mk4's are considered by many to be the "bottom of the barrel" scopes when discussing higher end optics.

They are a good value, and contain competent optical mechanics.
Not the best glass, but good sighting devises.

Even if those models cost the same I'd get the 2.5-8 mk4.
(I am probably going to be the only person you'll ever hear say that)
The NF click adjustments, and total range are the only thing that scope does better, but the turret design is the deal breaker.
It's too bad Leupold discontinued that model.
I still want one.