• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Premier Reticle

Jeremy69

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
Does anyone know if Premier still exists? I have an older Mark 4 10X and would like to see if they have any information on it by serial number. The box it came in has their sticker above the Leupold label. It’s now a mildot that looks like footballs. Also, the spare elevation dials are counter clockwise but it seems to operate clockwise up now.

Sorry for the off-color picture, but it had the laser filter on it.

Any contact information would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpeg
    IMG_4879.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4877.jpeg
    IMG_4877.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 163
Premier Reticles went bankrupt around 2013 IIRC. They do not exist anymore and I am not aware of anyone who would know much unless someone here has that exact scope. Premiers early business was replacing Leupold’s sucky reticles with something more useful. Chris Thomas (whose father founded Premier) is still around and working for an obscure defense contractor I believe but largely uninvolved with the optics world anymore.

Thanks for the information. Seems like kind of a dead end but ya never know. The scope kind of stands on its own, but always nice to dig anything else up. Going on an XM-25 clone that’s been quite a project so far.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Premier Reticle had a relationship with Leupold. They would replace Leupold scope reticles with many other reticles. Later they even converted variable Leupold scope to FFL (First Focal Plane). The early reticles had football mills (.25mil)on a wire reticle. Later Premier came out with the GEN 2 reticle (round mil with a hash mark between the mils (.5 mil). Premier patented the Gen 2 mil dot. Later Leupold and Premier dissolved their relationship and Leupold came out with the TMR reticle.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Cool, my M3 10x has the footballs. Looks like they converted it from CCW to CW as the turrets in the box are CCW but it works correctly with the CW M118 turret

I have a golden ring spotter they did with the FFP football mil dot reticle. I never was able to find exact data for the actual size of the football mils and spacing. I assumed 1 mil spacing from the center of the dot to center of next dot and .75 spacing between the ends. I bought the spotter new in case but there was nothing inside with the paperwork. Just a sticker on the outside saying Premier reticle installed or something like that.

Attachments

• shootthemoon.jpg
    shootthemoon.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 32
Premier Reticle had a relationship with Leupold. They would replace Leupold scope reticles with many other reticles. Later they even converted variable Leupold scope to FFL (First Focal Plane). The early reticles had football mills (.25mil)on a wire reticle. Later Premier came out with the GEN 2 reticle (round mil with a hash mark between the mils (.5 mil). Premier patented the Gen 2 mil dot. Later Leupold and Premier dissolved their relationship and Leupold came out with the TMR reticle.
I've got three Premier 3-15x50 Light Tacticals with the gen 2 mildot reticle, love that reticle for hunting scopes. one of them is a MOA dial though, I need to sell that one off. Can't deal with mil reticle and MOA dials. What were they thinking????

I've got three Premier 3-15x50 Light Tacticals with the gen 2 mildot reticle, love that reticle for hunting scopes. one of them is a MOA dial though, I need to sell that one off. Can't deal with mil reticle and MOA dials. What were they thinking????
You used the MOA to zero the scope and then the dots for hold off. You never touched the knobs again. That is the way I was taught. Still have one of the mix match for a keep sake but never to use again.

You used the MOA to zero the scope and then the dots for hold off. You never touched the knobs again. That is the way I was taught. Still have one of the mix match for a keep sake but never to use again.
Yeah, that's tough for me - I like to dial elevation!

Take care of that scope. Once it's broken. It's done. Leupold was taking Premier Reticle equipped scopes in on repair and just replacing them or removing the non Leupold components.

It's a collectors item now.

As far dialing with mixed math....its not that hard. Learn the 3 basic conversion figures.

3.5 MOA per mil.
1 MOA per 0.3 mil
1.75 MOA is 0.5 mil

Then just learn 3.5.....7.....10.5.....14.....and 17.5 for the full mils on the fly.

Then add on 1.75 for the half mil if needed.

So 2.5 mils is 7 + 1.75 = 8.75 on the fly.

Actual math comes out to 8.595 MOA....less than a full click of error. Good enough.

If it was 2.8 mils. Just add 1 moa for extra 0.3....so 9.75 on the fly. Actual math is 9.62. Again less than one click of error. Good enough.

Reactions: jrichard_007
Take care of that scope. Once it's broken. It's done. Leupold was taking Premier Reticle equipped scopes in on repair and just replacing them or removing the non Leupold components.

It's a collectors item now.

As far dialing with it....its not that hard. Learn the 3 basic figures.

3.5 MOA per mil.
1 MOA per 0.3 mil
1.75 MOA is 0.5 mil

Then just learn 3.5.....7.....10.5.....14.....and 17.5 for the full mils on the fly.

Then add on 1.75 for the half mil if needed.

So 2.5 mils is 7 + 1.75 = 8.75 on the fly.

Actual math comes out to 8.595 MOA....less than a full click of error. Good enough.

If it was 2.8. Just add 1 moa for extra 0.3....so 9.75 on the fly. Actual math is 9.62. Again less than one click of error.
Thanks. Last I checked with Tangent Theta if it breaks I can trade it in on a new TT.