• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold reticle advice

Damartin95

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2020
Hey guys, I'm looking for some input for what leupold reticle to get. Im putting together a lightweight mountain rifle. I've bought the rifle chambered in 300 WSM. Now I'm looking at scopes, I've basically decided on a leopold Vx-5hd 3-15x44mm w/ cds. I stuck on what reticle to get. I'm caught between windplex or firedot duplex. I have a few scopess with illumination and honestly use it very little. But I like to use the "rather have and not need" theory. Shot range will be 600 yards or less. Unfortunaly they dont make an illuminated windplex in the vx5. Let me know your opinions!

If you do Mils and not MOA.

I just mounted this for my own 300WSM.

Edit to add, I also very rarely use illumination. I also wanted it in mils because everything else I use is in it and wanted to keep it that way.

If you do Mils and not MOA.

I just mounted this for my own 300WSM.

Edit to add, I also very rarely use illumination. I also wanted it in mils because everything else I use is in it and wanted to keep it that way.
I used to use a lot of mill but recently I've gone over to mostly moa. For no other reason than I found some good deals on moa scopes. Mabye time to switch back ive always preferred mil for holdover.

Then I think that is the only scope in the VX-5HD and maybe VX6-HD line in Mils unless you can get the custom shop to build you something. That was also the only reticle I liked.

The Firedot is most useful for very short range shooting, makes the scope somewhat redot like and works extremely well.

If you anticipate shooting mostly 50yards and more then go for the windplex or the HTMR reticle if you like mils.

The 3-15 vx5hd has the htmr.

I've been eyeing one, as the only time I'd really need the reticle I'll have the time to zoom in and use it. Still prefer ffp, but compromises for the weight and glass in that price range keep bringing me back to the htmr.

I've shot mils for about ten years now, but I was putting together a somewhat light hunting rig, I didn't want to compromise that by adding a heavy scope. Furthest distance is probably gonna be under 500. I simply opted for the vxi 4-14x40 cds-zl, moa windplex, 30mm tube. Seems a nice little scope, have other uses for it if I feel it doesn't work. As for illumination have used it exactly twice over the years. Once hunting, when a snowstorm blew in, saw the buck close, spooked him, out to about 300, needed as conditions were very poor, and once in a prs type match, when I had to dial down to 4 or 5, needed the illumination for the shots.