• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold rx-1000 tbr rangefinder

Re: Leupold rx-1000 tbr rangefinder

I've used the RX-1000 and must say I am quiet pleased with it. I purchased it primarily for archery hunting, and chose it above all others because it has the illuminated (red) reticle for ranging just like the leica 900/1200. I previously tried the Nikon 550 and returned it because I could not see the black reticle in the pre-dawn hours of the hunt.

This range finder is equipped with all kinds of bells and whistles, but what is most important to me is it's size and ranging capability. To date, the furthest I've ranged with it is a house at over 1,100 yards. It's a sharp LRF for it's size, no doubt. While my leica 1200 seems to lase farther on a consistant basis, the difference in size puts the advantage in the leupold's corner in my opinion...

In regard to the "TBR" (true range; angle fire) feature, in my opinion it's garbage. It has several different categories of calibers to select from. I still have not figured out how there can be different categories of calibers to select from in determining "true ballistic range." In both training and physics, U thought that the effects of gravity are constant regardless of size and velocity...my best advice would be to use it in the field and see which "category" worked best, as if gathering dope for your rifle.

In sum, this is a great LRF. It's extremely small package consistantly delivers readings in excess of 1,000 yards, and the illuminated reticle is priceless in lowlight situations.

The question is... "how well does it range small, four or 2 legged targets or even steel or paper at distance?" I'm interested in the unit also but would like to see more data. Does it have a compass, or temp readout?

The question is... "how well does it range small, four or 2 legged targets or even steel or paper at distance?" I'm interested in the unit also but would like to see more data. Does it have a compass, or temp readout?

How well does it work when cloudy, or at night? Would a rock provide enough reflection to range a target? Thanks for the input. I would not have even thought about getting a red reticle for that reason.