• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold RX2800 TBR/W group setting for 6.5PRC?

Drstrangelove

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2020
Just got my RF delivered today and of course, the 6.5PRC is not listed in groups for setting the ballistic curve.
I’m shooting 147gr ELD Match at approximately 2950fps.

I’ve looked at Hornady’s ballistic range calculator and it shows...
1. At a 200 yard zero, a come up of 59.19” making the RF setting group 4-5. The manual does not specifically say use a 200 yard zero but it seems pretty well implied.
2. At a 100 yard zero, a come up of 67.82” making the RF setting group 8-9 which matches the closest listed cartridge to the 6.5PRC, (I’m just guessing) the 6.5-284 (group 8).

If anybody with a Leupold RX2800 who shoots the 6.5PRC with 147gr can chime in here I would very very grateful... what group do I set this rangefinder to?

Figuring the difference on the range is going to cost bullets and I can’t find 6.5 ELD 147g projectiles anywhere in stores or online. I’ve got a very limited supply.

Thanks

I have the same range finder, and use it ONLY for ranging targets. I plunk the range into my Kestrel for my shooting solution.
You don’t need a Kestrel though. There’s some great free apps out there like BallisticsARC and Hornaday’s 4DOF.

Yup, I like the Hornady program a lot. Will have to check out the Ballistics ARC. Thanks for that.
Would still like to have my RF come close to a proper solution since it’s there to be had... maybe.

Well, in that case, reverse engineer it with your ballistic calculator of choice.
Find a range.
Input to calculator.
Solve for elevation.
Try RF settings until the same elevation is resolved for the same range.

Reactions: Drstrangelove
I have the same range finder, and use it ONLY for ranging targets. I plunk the range into my Kestrel for my shooting solution.
You don’t need a Kestrel though. There’s some great free apps out there like BallisticsARC and Hornaday’s 4DOF.
Same.
2800 & 5700.

Reactions: Drstrangelove
I downloaded the hornady app to my phone. I like it!
Does one use the 4DOF or the BC calculator? The output differences are minimal.

no option to pick something close and adjust the diameter, weight, bc...?