• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Scope Mount beginner-ish question

LighthouseJ

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
After a lot of reading I bought my first real scope, a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm (30mm) with side focus (product number 66575).
It's replacing a 3-9x scope with smaller magnification, with generic 40mm rings on my Remington 700.

In the specs, it says that the tube diameter is 30mm, but my 40mm rings are too small for it? I thought I could get a set of 30mm rings and be done with it.

How am I supposed to mount this? Am I supposed to get a set of Leupolds PRW/QRW/Rifleman rings and base? Is that where the "30mm" measurement comes in from the product description (as opposed to the 1-inch)? I also believe I need "large" rings due to the size of the objective lens size.

I tried searching (here and generally) but cannot find anything saying that I should get their rings.

Re: Leupold Scope Mount beginner-ish question

I suspect your old scope had a 40mm objective lens and 1" tube. That's why the rings are too small. You will need 30mm rings. Whether you need medium or high rings depends on barrel contour.

The sticky at the top of this section should help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a lot of reading I bought my first real scope, a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm (30mm) with side focus (product number 66575).
It's replacing a 3-9x scope with smaller magnification, with generic 40mm rings on my Remington 700.

In the specs, it says that the tube diameter is 30mm, but my 40mm rings are too small for it? I thought I could get a set of 30mm rings and be done with it.

How am I supposed to mount this? Am I supposed to get a set of Leupolds PRW/QRW/Rifleman rings and base? Is that where the "30mm" measurement comes in from the product description (as opposed to the 1-inch)? I also believe I need "large" rings due to the size of the objective lens size.

I tried searching (here and generally) but cannot find anything saying that I should get their rings. </div></div>

First off, welcome to the Hide (see you've been here a while, but haven't posted much). Tons of good information here to help you along the way. Be sure to have a read through some of the FAQ threads located in the second link in my sig line below.

As for your current dilemma...+1 on the above comments. I'd wager that your previous 3-9x scope has a 1" tube that is obviously smaller than your new scope's 30mm tube. Don't confuse the scopes measurements as commonly listed (i.e. - 3-9x40) as having anything to do with scope tube diameter/ring size. The "x40" refers to objective size...not scope tube diameter. Similarly, the "x50" in your new scope's description isn't the tube diameter, but the objective size.

Any quality set of 30mm rings should serve you well on your new scope (Badger Ordnance, Seekins, etc.). To determine what the proper ring height you need for your new scope/rifle combo, see the following link for how to properly measure/fit your setup:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1433025

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I do lurk around here for some good info (plenty of it), but I sometimes cannot find an answer to a question or two.

I think I understand now that I was mistaking the tube and objective diameters.

I found an ebay auction selling this same scope, and it specifies the objective diameter as 40mm and tube diameter at one inch (25.4mm) just like you both said. Thus I have one-inch rings, and are 4.6mm smaller than I need.

Kind of feel silly now that I see my mistake, but at least now I can move forward and shoot with it mounted.

Thanks for the info.