• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold Scope Questions

GarandFan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio, USA
Greetings,

I am looking to put this on a Savage 10FP (.308 winchester) for use between 400 and 800 yards.

I am presently thinking about the Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 Illum. Reticle with the mil-dot reticle. What can owners of this scope tell me about how well it works for them and how they like it?

Does anybody know of where (legitimately) to get the best price on this scope and how to make sure I am not getting some Chinese/Hong Kong counterfeit? Is Optics Planet pretty competitive with prices? I am not in a rush to buy the scope, I can wait a few weeks or until the end of summer, is it likely there will be sales on scopes anytime in the next 8 weeks? I'd like to buy the scope in the next 2 weeks but I could wait if there is some site about to run a regular "end of summer" sale.

Also, I am not entirely sold one way or another on mil-dot or tactical for the reticle, but I am leaning heavily towards mil-dot but could be swayed to go with tactical.

Also, what sort of scope rings would one suggest for the scope?

Thanks!

Re: Leupold Scope Questions

I don't have that particular Mk4 but I do have one 4.5-14 x 50 and one 6.5-20 x 50, both with mildot reticles. If I were buying today I would look at the TMR reticle instead of the mildot.

I have done business with Chris Schiff at Sports Optics and recommend them highly. Great service and prices. Either Chris or Jay will be glad to answer all your questions.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have that particular Mk4 but I do have one 4.5-14 x 50 and one 6.5-20 x 50, both with mildot reticles. If I were buying today I would look at the TMR reticle instead of the mildot.

I have done business with Chris Schiff at Sports Optics and recommend them highly. Great service and prices. Either Chris or Jay will be glad to answer all your questions.

OFG </div></div>

Why TMR instead of mil-dot?

TMR milling capabilities are as good as mildot, or better. And the more open TMR does not cover as much of the target which might be important at longer ranges with small targets.

I bought my second Mk4 just when the TMR was coming out but being a bit old fashioned stayed with the mildot. Since then I've looked at many, many reticles and most are more like the TMR then mildot.

OFG

I'm running a Mrk4 3.5-10X40 with illuminated reticle. I've had it a long time, beat the hell out of it, and have had zero problems. When they came out with the TMR I sent it back and had the a TMR put in it. It's been a very good scope and still is. I have several other MRK4's and they all are great scopes. Leupold also has a lifetime warranty. Just my opinion, but I am very pleased with Leupold and the products they produce.

Put a 6.5X20X50 Mk4 LR/T M1 Ill TMR on my new Savage mdl 10 (FLCP-K) in .308 and LOVE IT. The one feature I wish it had was a zero stop. You can set the zero on the turret to anything you want (from zero to 14 as there is 15 minutes per turn of the turret) but there is no hard stop for that setting. Nice when adjusting up and down a lot and get lost where Iam. So I just remember how many minutes to the bottom is my zero. Love the TMR reticle as it gives you the milling/measuring ability (at 20 power only for scale as it is a SFP scope) But at long (over 400 yards) distance that is the power Im on anyway. Paid over $1,100 for mine. Worth every penny in my book. Id attach a photo but havent posted enough yet to so so.

Get TMR and don't look back..also consider looking into the ER/T with M5 turrets. Its nice matching turret and reticle. If you are shooting mostly 400-800 why limit yourself to 10x? I'd get at least 4.5-14..and a 6.5-20 if just target shooting.

Also keep an eye on the Optics for sale forum..a lot of good deals on leupolds.

ditto, i would go tmr now if i were buying, along with illuminated reticule (better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have).

You can try gunbroker.com you can see if the seller is a major business and call to ask about the product. i believe gunbroker has protections for fraudulant sales if you do get a chinese knockoff.
DRT
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have that particular Mk4 but I do have one 4.5-14 x 50 and one 6.5-20 x 50, both with mildot reticles. If I were buying today I would look at the TMR reticle instead of the mildot.

OFG </div></div>

keep in mind you cannot get an M5 illuminated on the 4.5-14x50 mark 4 and there is about a $300 bump in price from M1 to M5 on that same scope with the same reticle. i dont think there is a bump if u go with the 40mm lower power mark 4 between m1 and m5

If you are comfortable buying used, monitor the Optics Exchange on here and they come up farily frequently.

I have a mildot and TMR and I'm sold on TMR now. Talk to most people at Leupold and they will tell you the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvlapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get TMR and don't look back..also consider looking into the ER/T with M5 turrets. Its nice matching turret and reticle. If you are shooting mostly 400-800 why limit yourself to 10x? I'd get at least 4.5-14..and a 6.5-20 if just target shooting.

</div></div>

yes, this, exactly this. if you have settled on and like Leupold, take this advice. its GOOD advice.

-Paulus

I got my 6.5-20 TMR from Scott at Liberty Optics. A Hide sponsor, I believe. Couldn't be happier. Just remember to turn it down when it starts to get dark, can't see squat at 20X...

Also I recommend the Alumina lens caps. The Leupold-marked Butler Creeks are crap, even though Leupold replaced a broken one for free, they are still crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are comfortable buying used, monitor the Optics Exchange on here and they come up farily frequently.

I have a mildot and TMR and I'm sold on TMR now. Talk to most people at Leupold and they will tell you the same. </div></div>

Really? TMR is that much better? I thought most classes/schools used mil-dot, and I think that the mil-dot will be easier to see than the hash marks for the TMR.

I was looking on the Leupold website at what tactical milling looks like vs mil-dot and it seems that mil-dot would be easier to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvlapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get TMR and don't look back..also consider looking into the ER/T with M5 turrets. Its nice matching turret and reticle. If you are shooting mostly 400-800 why limit yourself to 10x? I'd get at least 4.5-14..and a 6.5-20 if just target shooting.

</div></div>

I've heard/read that 20x magnification will cause headaches after a while... Indeed I believe what I read was anything over 15x can begin to cause headaches.

And that is a big reason to buy a variable. Dial the ?-20 back to a lower power and it becomes more forgiving.

Attention to focus and a properly established cheek weld (adjustable or built up cheek rest) will go a long way to increased comfort.

OFG

The TMR reticle is fantastic. I luv it in my mark4 M5. I think it is easier and more accurate when estimating range. The open center is very nice as well. And I 2nd dealing with Jay at SportsOptics, and also Liberty Optics. Both are honest places to shop optics, and their prices are great.

AlphaOne said:
Put a 6.5X20X50 Mk4 LR/T M1 Ill TMR on my new Savage mdl 10 (FLCP-K) in .308 and LOVE IT. The one feature I wish it had was a zero stop. You can set the zero on the turret to anything you want (from zero to 14 as there is 15 minutes per turn of the turret) but there is no hard stop for that setting. Nice when adjusting up and down a lot and get lost where Iam. So I just remember how many minutes to the bottom is my zero. Love the TMR reticle as it gives you the milling/measuring ability (at 20 power only for scale as it is a SFP scope) But at long (over 400 yards) distance that is the power Im on anyway. Paid over $1,100 for mine. Worth every penny in my book. Id attach a photo but havent posted enough yet to so so. [/quote

Zero stops are easy for mk 4s, run down to Lowes and get a short section of aluminum tube they have that has a I'd just a fuzz larger than the I'd of the ele turret. Measure the distance from the bottom of the part of the turret to the scope , trim tube to length, remove turret, drop on your homemade shim, put the turret back on and Wolla, a hard stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paulus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvlapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get TMR and don't look back..also consider looking into the ER/T with M5 turrets. Its nice matching turret and reticle. If you are shooting mostly 400-800 why limit yourself to 10x? I'd get at least 4.5-14..and a 6.5-20 if just target shooting.

</div></div>

yes, this, exactly this. if you have settled on and like Leupold, take this advice. its GOOD advice.

-Paulus </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GarandFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard/read that 20x magnification will cause headaches after a while... Indeed I believe what I read was anything over 15x can begin to cause headaches.
</div></div>

Where did you read that ridiculousness???

My god, I wonder how all of us benchrest shooters with 36+ power scopes don't get migraines then.

Seriously though, if you got headaches from high powered glass, either your eyes are old and/or the glass is cheap.

I think eye fatigue is possible (and common) which could manifest itself in a headache but that could be on any power scope.

I have a 8.5-25x50mm LR/T. I shoot at 600 and 1000yd ranges monthly. I have never had eye fatigue using my full zoom power on my scope, ever. double check your parallax is set on the eyepiece of the scope correctly. took me two tries, as it was finicky. however, once set right, the reticle is clear and crisp, and using the side focus knob, i can see very very well, and have not had any issues with eye fatigue and headaches. in fact, i have not had a single issue, whereas i used to occasionally with my previous scope.

Cheap glass CAN do that. Most likely, it is being caused from improper parallax, or you are fighting a dominance issue in your eyes. The dominance issue was causing issues for my brother. we started tackling it with an eye patch on his left eye (nonshooting eye) then progressed to shooting glasses with opaque scotch tape over center of non shooting eye, then finally no tape and it cured him.

If you run into this issue with your Leupold scope, check your parallax, or not trying to be flippant here but see an eye doctor as you may have something going on with your eyes. I had a buddy who shoots his AR using his ACOG, and ran into headaches. He went and got his eyes checked, and now wears glasses. YMMV.

-Paulus

bad glass causes more headaches than magnification, although bad glass and high mag can give you severe pain in no time at all. Years ago i looked through a cheap bushnell at 16X and my eye started to burn and water immediately, switched to my IOR and the pain went away .
hope this helps.