• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold tripods, anyone have any experience?

Lucreau

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2017
CO
Can’t find much on them. Looking at their mark 5 tripod kit Or their guide kit. Comes with their ballhead. Can’t find anything on if they’re made in the USA etc. with their mil pricing it gets it down pretty low

I’ve got one for my Mark 4 spotter. Lemme see if I can find out which model it is. Will report back.......

Reactions: Lucreau
So no model number anywhere on it. Did find a made in China sticker. Overall; works great for a spotter. The one I have is light weight, three stage legs but isn’t nearly as tall as the one you’re looking at

Saw a display at a match. Made in China if that matters.

If I recall correctly, while speaking with a Leupold rep, he said these tripods come out of same factory as the Leofoto. Pretty sure, but I'm not 100% on it.

I have the 170600 CF tripod, I have nothing but good to say about it. Very light, rigid, works quite well for my spotter or big eyes, as well as my LRF. I also biught it on the mil/leo price and it is gret for the $'s imo, YMMV. That said be aware that the "ball head" is not really a ball head for of two plane adjustment (pan & tilt) no where near as smooth as a ball head but smooth enough for what I use it for.

I appreciate the responses! Leaning towards getting one.
I have the 170600 CF tripod, I have nothing but good to say about it. Very light, rigid, works quite well for my spotter or big eyes, as well as my LRF. I also biught it on the mil/leo price and it is gret for the $'s imo, YMMV. That said be aware that the "ball head" is not really a ball head for of two plane adjustment (pan & tilt) no where near as smooth as a ball head but smooth enough for what I use it for.
That’s good to hear about how you like it.
But it does look like the ball head does rotate 360?

Attachments

• 97D2BAF2-1CD6-46AA-A6E0-A21EDB0FA3C0.png
    97D2BAF2-1CD6-46AA-A6E0-A21EDB0FA3C0.png
    954.5 KB · Views: 153
Had one 15 years ago. Didn't like it and got rid of it. Did not get low to the ground for prone use; at least the version I had. Maybe better for your purposes.

for that kind of money, you should get a made in the usa rrs tripod, jmo.

I appreciate the responses! Leaning towards getting one.

That’s good to hear about how you like it.
But it does look like the ball head does rotate 360?

It does rotate 360, it is not that ball head, it is not a ball head.
This one is the one I have, if you look at the detail pics you can see the head.

Last edited:
The link I posted currently says $599? When I originally posted it said iirc 399

That one got discontinued, the current model from the OP is right at $1000.

Reactions: ACard
If you're looking to save money and still have something that will support a rifle I'd suggest buying a used Manfrotto carbon off of eBay. Like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manfrotto-...721524?hash=item2f52821c34:g:J9MAAOSwuPhgAGAL
Or find the sister model with 4-sections...
Small parts are available and they get the job done well enough. Add a leveling base from RRS and you'll be stinking things up like a PRS dork in no time.

If I recall correctly, while speaking with a Leupold rep, he said these tripods come out of same factory as the Leofoto. Pretty sure, but I'm not 100% on it.
My tripods are all leofoto and I can confirm the leupold mk5 are identical in almost every way except colour and markings