• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold varmint reticle ?

justintimesc

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
South Carolina
I'm thinking about putting a leupold VX III with the varmint reticle on a hunting rifle. Can anyone explain to me how its designed to work. Is there say 2 moa between each line etc. I can't find much information on the reticle, whats your experince been with it.

Re: Leupold varmint reticle ?

Its a basic Second Focal Plan BDC reticle. The holds will work at a specific magnification power depending on your bullet and velocity. You can pull up the reticle specifics on leupolds website in a PDF file. Once you figure out what magnification power works with your round, your good to go. You can do the math and make a dope sheet for the bdc on various magnifications and it will work. The key to making it work is collection good data on your round (velocity) then run it through JBM and you can get it all dialed in. Of course hitting the range and testing is the best way to ensure your numbers and performance match.

If a BDC reticle is your preference you might check out the Pride Fowler line of BDC scopes. Same theory except the reticle is in First Focal, meaning once you determine what the drop is of your round in relation to the reticle, it will work on ANY magnification setting. The downfall to First Focal is on the higher magnifications the reticle gets a little thick up around 15 or 20x and for small Varmint work (P Dogs) it can cover your target.

I used that reticle for 4 years. I personally do not like it nor plan on using it again. It offers nothing that the TMR can't offer. Once you caculate your bullet drop in Mils you can just hold over elevation if that what you prefer. I personally dope elevation and hold over windage. Sapper524 is right heres the link to the PDF file http://www.leupold.com/downloads/BAS_Inst_Man_02Jun08.pdf

TMR manual
http://www.leupold.com/downloads/2011_Tactical%20Milling_Reticle.pdf

How will you utilize this system?

TMR it's finer at 100 yds, read the specs. Plus theres a void in the center . That means you see your shot, its not covered by the duplex. There is no intersecting.

I think a varmint reticle works great if you shoot a fairly fast round. I use one on my sako finnlight in 300 win mag. I have a 4.5-14x40 with the reticle.

14 power rarely has mirage issues - especially in cooler hunting weather for deer or elk. With a 200 yard zero you can go out to 600 with the hack marks just fine. Obviously the advice about verifying your hack marks is dead on.

Mine match up within 2 inches all the way out. Here are the MOA drop values for the varmint reticle so you can see for yourself:

200 - zero
300 - 1.81moa
400 - 4.13 moa
500 - 7.02 moa
600 - 9.35

Note that you can easily take a ballistic table and figure out exactly what your hack lines equate to.

Your zero is your zero whether you are at 5 or 14 power so it doesn't matter what focal plane you are on. Therefore, you can shoot at any power all the way out to probably 250, then you have to start holding over.

Logically any shot past 200 yards is not too close to crank it up to 14 power. I have never been compromised with a field of view or mirage issue by being on 14 power if shooting more than 200. I generally keep my scope on two settings - all the way down for walking, sitting, close work or all the way up for shooting past 100 yards.

In conclusion, the ballistic reticles work well for 95% of all applications that a hunter will need. Is it a 1000 yard sniper scope - NO, but it works on elk just dandy.

Respectfully.

This was shot at 606 yards with that reticle at max power. Two shots and two hits:

IMG_0311.jpg

This was shot at 75 yards with that reticle on 4.5:
DSCF0635.jpg

At 30 yards:

IMG_0047.jpg