• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes leupold vs night force

kcshooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Kansas City
which is better for shooting a .308 out to 600 yards

im looking at the
leupold mark 4 3.5-10x (mil-dot redical)
nightforce 3.5-15x50 (mil-dot redical)

which will last longer

better mil-dot redical

Re: leupold vs night force

What is your opinion based on what you know now?

Nightforce isn't in the same category as leupold mk4. EDIT: Meaning that the nightforce is VERY MUCH better.

For the money, mk4's are pretty good... but they are in no way the end all be all. Both are pretty readily available. Go look through both and decide for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nightforce hands down </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold isn't in the same category as Night Force.

</div></div>

fixed it for you there buddy
laugh.gif

Not even close. NF is the best all around scope on the market today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce isn't in the same category as leupold mk4. EDIT: Meaning that the nightforce is VERY MUCH better.

For the money, mk4's are pretty good... but they are in no way the end all be all. Both are pretty readily available. Go look through both and decide for yourself. </div></div>

I think Leupold is a good optic, but overpriced, and Nightforce is a great optic for the price. The only reason they are often compared is because they have a cross over in pricing, meaning Leupold's MK IV's top out where Nightforce begins in the money factor. If I were going to spend $1600 on glass, I would buy the Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce isn't in the same category as leupold mk4. EDIT: Meaning that the nightforce is VERY MUCH better.

For the money, mk4's are pretty good... but they are in no way the end all be all. Both are pretty readily available. Go look through both and decide for yourself. </div></div>

I think Leupold is a good optic, but overpriced, and Nightforce is a great optic for the price. The only reason they are often compared is because they have a cross over in pricing, meaning Leupold's MK IV's top out where Nightforce begins in the money factor. If I were going to spend $1600 on glass, I would buy the Nightforce. </div></div>

I have both but the above statement is so true.

I have 2 Mark 4 and 3 NF 3 S&Bs. The mark 4 are not a bad scope. I know everybody knocks them but to tell the truth. I can hit the target with the Mark 4 just as easy than S&B or NF. IF you can pick one up for a good price. I think you should be happy with it.

The Mark 4 at least mine are just as clean as glass as NF. NF has more options but Leupold is coming up new things this year. I don't think I would sell the Mark 4s to trade up. I have heard the Marks don't track good but my 2 Mark 4 do. Maybe I got lucky.

The NF are better but don't think the Mark 4s can't get the job done. The are better than you average 500 to 900 scopes.

I like all of my good scopes.
Never found fault with the Mark 4.
I think the bad things you here about them are from someone who is trying to justify purchase of a NF or S&B. I have and use all. Buy what you can afford and shoot the heck out of it. All will do the job, if you do yours. With todays great equiptment, the shooter is the weak link in the chain. JMO

With a modern Leupold, YOU are the quality control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which is better for shooting a .308 out to 600 yards

im looking at the
leupold mark 4 3.5-10x (mil-dot redical)
nightforce 3.5-15x50 (mil-dot redical)

which will last longer

better mil-dot redical
</div></div>

Apples and Pineapples

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a modern Leupold, YOU are the quality control. </div></div>

+1

why wouldn't you go for the leupold 4-14x when comparing to the nsx 3-15x?

Leupold has started their Tactical Optics Division if that helps your decision. Took a while though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why wouldn't you go for the leupold 4-14x when comparing to the nsx 3-15x? </div></div>

quality is a big one. Leupold has something like a 6 degree cant either way is acceptable for their reticle, the QC isnt what it used to be, they are grossly over priced for what you get. Just a few, but they got a good warranty. If you have 1500 bucks to drop on a scope, and there is a leupold and NF infront of you, why wouldnt you take the NF?

I made the mistake of buying a leupold mark 4 vs a nightforce nxs to save a few hundred dollars. Big mistake, one that I will not make again. Nothing against the mark 4's they are great scopes they track well and have clear glass but for a little extra money go with nightforce.

I was (and still am) a Leupold fan but I saw a huge difference when comparing the Leupold to a Nightforce. I still have way more Leupolds than Nightforce scopes but if I could afford either, I would pick the Nightforce.

Good luck with your decision.

If you have $1500 to spend on a scope, find a used Mk 4 for less than a grand and buy more ammo.

i have heard great things about both but i dont get what makes the night force better is it the glass or just quality??

i just want a scope that is durable and will last me a long time i dont want to buy a scope and wish i had bought something else.

NIGHT FORCE dude, they are the best bang for the buck scope. Have you not seen the ad of the NXS that has an AK round through the tube, and all the SF dude did was put some duct tape on it and complete his mission. The only thing wrong with the scope was the mag ring was stuck on 12x

Can you send me a link to that. That's sounds to good to be true not saying your a lyer or anything

i have had all the "big name" scopes...and i always go back to nightforce...

leupold is a good scope...but if i am spending that kind of money i might as well throw in a extra $200 and buy right the first time...

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have had all the "big name" scopes...</div></div>

Nightforce over S&B and hensoldt? Which models did you have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you send me a link to that. That's sounds to good to be true not saying your a lyer or anything </div></div>

Its also on thier website-

nightforce_NXS_bullethole.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have had all the "big name" scopes...</div></div>

Nightforce over S&B and hensoldt? Which models did you have? </div></div>

I have- aside of Hendsolt. I cant honestly tell myself that my SSDS S&B is "better" than my NXSs.

I have Loopy Mark 4s, Zeiss, Vortex, IOR...no NF, but have looked through plenty. The Mark 4s are not bad scopes, but for the money you can get better.

I know glass is subjective, but I actually think the Vortex Viper glass is better than my Mark 4 glass. If not, it's close. The Zeiss is definitely better. IOR, much better.

If you can afford a NF and their features fit what you need...buy it and don't look back. The NF is as rugged as anything you can buy.

You might want to consider the new Vortex PSTs or Razor's too.

I right now own a mark 4 on my 308, have a vortex viper on my 243ai and I'm going to have to agree with montana3gunner that the vortex glass is way better than the mark 4. It also tracks better in my opinion. I will be trading my mark 4 in for the viper pst as soon as they are available. Not much expierence with nightforce other than shooting a buddies a few times he loves it but I wasn't blown away by it like I had to run out and buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have had all the "big name" scopes...</div></div>

Nightforce over S&B and hensoldt? Which models did you have? </div></div>
i had several PMS, and i shot with a hensoldt that belonged to a friend....i wasnt really impressed with the hensoldt...

i dont think there is anything wrong at all with S&B, or USO....but it comes to a point were i cant tell a difference in the quality...and you just start wasting money...i sold all my S&B's..but i still have my USO, and i will never part with it, i really like the quality, and the bullet proff nature of it...but i doubt i would spend that much on another scope again...

bench

I guess it sounds like the nightforce is the poop from what i read on this thread vs. leupold. Too bad the whole eyepiece moves when adjusting magnification... but that's a small thing - i thought i just read somewhere that they do it this way to make it more rugged... guess the butler flip-ups would be kind of a hassle - but you're going after quality!

I promised myself I would always remain above the fray when it came to threads involving which is better "A" or "B". That being said, don't let the fact that the entire ocular needs to rotate dissuade you in anyway. I thought it would bother me when I got my first NF. Now, I prefer it. I find it much faster and easier to just grab the ocular and twist it instead of dicking around with the little ring in front of it. I picked up a 2.5-10X32 last summer and to adjust the magnification on it you have to turn a ring in front of the ocular instead of the whole ocular and it annoys me a little. Put a butler creek on the front and use the rear part of the bikini cover cable tied to the tube and you'll be GTG. I always owed leupolds until I bought my first NF. Now I don't have any leupolds. For the $$ NF is damn hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like all of my good scopes.
Never found fault with the Mark 4.
I think the bad things you here about them are from someone who is trying to justify purchase of a NF or S&B. I have and use all. Buy what you can afford and shoot the heck out of it. All will do the job, if you do yours. With todays great equiptment, the shooter is the weak link in the chain. JMO </div></div>

+1. very well said and I've tried to say it a few times here myself. Lots and lots of great quality optics out there now and NF is right up there with the best, well worth the money. Leupold has always been bashed here also because they have always taylored to the hunter and not the tac. shooter. Always cracked me up to hear guys say "they should listen to thier customers", HELLO, thats exactly what they did. They listened to the hunter, thier bread and butter, not the <10 persent tac shooters. Now they are coming out with new optics with the features we've all been screaming for for no tellin how long and they are still getting bashed before anyone has even had a chance to test them. Bought my Mk4 for $725 LN, in box, paperwork, everything. Never a problem and performs perfectly and its been used, seen others that performed the same, its not the exception, its the norm. Leupold has thier problems like ALL makes but junk, the're not. BTW, the .308 record in Iraq now shot by that Gilliam guy (I think is his name) at 1200+ meters was done through a 10X Leupy, so I guess they will work somewhat.
wink.gif

okie

Leupold has the money and resources to make a good scope. Their Mark 4 are a good scope. Now they are listening to the tactical shooters. It maybe time to take another look at them. They could come out with a great product. If you buy a Loopy used it is still backed by Leupold. How many other scopes has the same warranty as Leupold. They always have stood behind their products. A lot said about that. Will NF stand behind the product if sold as a used product 12 years later?

yes NF will stand behind their product just the same as Leupy will. Problem with loopy is this

they try to charge diamond prices for cubic zirconium product

LOL
Yes they are marked up a little for their current scope but with the new changes. They may make their scope justified the price.

If you're givin "diomond prices" for a Leupold, there's no one to blame but yourself. You can get into a Mk4 w/ mildot now at SWFA for $880, Duplex for $755, Illuminated MD for I think about $1020. All of course 30mm, side focus and variable if you want. I know there are other makes offering as good a scopes for comperable prices but I got to call BS when I see it. Once again, I'm done with this. Man, you'd think I'd learn
wink.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many other scopes has the same warranty as Leupold.</div></div>

There are quite a few optics makers out there that know how to do the customer service thing better than leupold does. USO, NF, and vortex to name a couple... down right put leupold to shame.

Did I miss something, or is there a leupold rep that comes here and posts on the hide? ... because I don't remember seeing one. Leupold hasn't impressed me for a quite a few years now. They were just riding the money train. This new "tactical" move they are making is obviously out of necessity... not because they actually give a shit what we think.

They will not get ANY more of my money. Not when there are other companies that want to work harder for it.

Loopys are fine, but in a lot of situations there are better scopes for the same money.

They do have a very good pulse on the hunter market and what's going on there.

I bought one of their new VX-III 6.5x20x44 long range scopes. Given the other Loopys I've owned (and others I've shot) I was a little reluctant, but bought it for two reasons:
1) it was exactly what I wanted for a hunting first, long range target gun second- type gun
2) I reluctantly bought into the marketing hype around the VX-III "we've redesigned our scopes!!!"

I wasn't reluctant because they are bad scopes, just because I know there are better values to be had.

A couple months later I bought a vortex viper, which was significantly less money, better warranty, and better glass.

Will vortex be around 10 years from now? Good question. But, will there be a significant difference in value at that point?

I have several friends, who are very knowledgeable gun guys, who have a safe-full of loopys. Getting them to even consider buying another brand raises their blood pressure 200 points.

They always start the conversation of buying a new scope with other brands, but at the end of the day they are just more comfortable buying a loopy.

You do have to give Loopy some credit for building that kind of undying, sometimes even nonobjective, loyalty. That takes a long time, and a lot of consistency.

LEO is a real bargain now I feel. I have seen new Mark 4 4-14 40mm brand new with mildot for $799. And 6.5-20 50mm illuminated with the TMR and 1/20ml knobs for $1179....I wold love to have a NF but my budget might steer me to stay with LEO and get the ill/TMR with mil knobs 6.5-20 is a pretty flex scope IMHO.

Derek

1/20th of a mil is pretty fine adjustments id look for 1/10th mil or wait till Leupy comes out with their .1 knobs, but to each his own. Derek if i were in your shoes i would save up a little more and get the NF

Derek, The vortex viper PST series is well within your budget. They offer .1mil adjustments and are a company that really seems to want to produce a good product. They are on the board here, participate and seem to listen to feedback. I don't own one but have done enough reading on this sight to see lots of positive feedback. I'd say they would certainly be worth looking into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They were just riding the money train. This new "tactical" move they are making is obviously out of necessity... not because they actually give a shit what we think. </div></div>

You have got to be shittin us. Out of necessity?? They've been selling optics for 100 yrs and with the hunter base they have you think its a necessity that they gain the (very small) tactical market now? BTW, another one of the "did I miss somethings" that you missed is the fact that they have served the military well for years so its not so much a "new tactical" move. Now it sounds like they are finally starting to listen to us a bit in the civi tactical market and idiots start jumping on the trash'em wagon before we can even give them a try. Cant understand why thier reps would'nt stick around in the past especially since they dont make the call on which direction the company goes anyway. Why dont we give this "new" line a chance to sink or swim on its own.

okie

Leupold could give a shit less about the United States military customer.

While the Mark IV line is functional, competition is driving their push to market new and competitive product.

so from what you guys have told me im going to have to go with a nightforce because the quality and durability.

even though it cost more it seems nightforce is better quaility all around.

Every scope has some plus and minus, some more than others. If they step to the plate. I will look at them to see what they are offering. They have been around a long time. This market is growing since long range shooting took off. Every company is coming out with new stuff. Why bash a company that is putting an effort towards building a new scope.
I have not had any problems with my 2 Mark 4s and I don't know about their customer service off hand. I have heard people not worry about buying use because it was a leupold.
A lot of new companies that have started in years past but have not been around as long as leupold. This is not my favorite scope. I do like the S&Bs the most but I would not be foolish enough to think the Leupolds will not get the job done for less money.