• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold vs. Nightforce

jsmythe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Nashville, TN, USA
I am looking to upgrade my existing Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm to a scope with more magnification. The rifle is a Remington SPS Tactical in .308 with a heavy 20" barrel. I have narrowed it down to a Nightforce and a Leupold with more magnification. I am looking for some first hand experiences regarding the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm and the NightForce 3.5-15x50mm NXS. I have heard the Nightforce has a clearer field of view. I am comfortable with the Leupold, so staying with that company would be easy. But I am trying to keep my options open. I am not a fan of the ffp, so i would like to stick with the sfp.

Last edited:
Go with a used NF unless you can afford a new mark 6 3-18 TMR. If your going with a new NF I'd look at a F1 MLR2....

My leupold in that exact scope had to get repaired because the turrets weren't tracking anymore.
I don't own leupolds anymore though and I have never had a problem with any of my nightforce.

you really to decide if you want 8.5-25 or 3.5-15 because thats 2 different animals right away. I recently traded in all my leupold glass and went to all nightforce 3.5-15 mil/mil and I am very happy with them and I shoot to 1k on a regular basis and have not been handicapped due to not being able to see :) I might miss, but its my fault and that of the glass.
By the way hello neighbor ...

JW

the closest comparison would be to the Leupold Mk4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 second focal plane.

If it were me I would go with the ER/T 4.5-14x50 first focal plane with M5(MIL) turrets & TMR

I've got them both and prefer the FFP reticle but there is nothing wrong with the SFP especially if that's what you are used to.

I've also got 2 of the 6.5-20x50 FFP with M5's and for me it's too much scope for a 20" rifle. Mine are on a 24" bolt guns.

Never had a leupold scope break and never missed a shot because of optics so............. If you know how to use what you have there shouldn't be a problem morning, noon, dusk or night.

I would go with the NF NXS 3-15X50/56 with ZS and HST. My favorite reticle is the MOAR. I have 3 Leupold's and they have served well but the NF scopes have better glass.

Last edited:
I'd take a serious look at the new Mark 6. Nightforce scopes are nice, but they are heavy and somewhat dated. They lack FFP until you get into the higher price units.

I just put the Leupold 8.5 x25 on a gap crusader by pure desperation so I could shoot it, it will do for now but a USO scope will replace it as funds allow.

I got a Leup Mark 4 6.5 - 20 ER/T with TMR reticle FFP. Very happy with it. Very clear glass, tho I haven't been able to see it side by side with NF. Tracks perfectly, tho is fairly new.

I've always owned Leup glass (20+ years) and never had a problem with it.

I like my Mark 4 enuf to buy another shortly, for my .338 Norma Magnum build. Leupold has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not worried.

I have used the mark 4 and the NF NXS side by side, my thoughts:
Leupold has better glass. But every one I have seen had a mil reticle and MOA adjustments. That's a no-go for me ​(but may be just fine for someone else).
NF NXS has slightly less quality glass. But the turrets match the reticle, and the scope feels more robust with a bit more pronounced clicks. If the loopy had matched turrets, which they may offer now IDK never look at their stuff much, it would be much closer call JMO.

Last edited:
I have used the mark 4 and the NF NXS side by side, my thoughts:
Leupold has better glass. But every one I have seen had a mil reticle and MOA adjustments. That's a no-go for me ​(but may be just fine for someone else).
NF NXS has slightly less quality glass. But the turrets match the reticle, and the scope feels more robust with a bit more pronounced clicks. If the loopy had matched turrets, which they may offer now IDK never look at their stuff much, it would be much closer call JMO.

I was the opposite when i compared both.. like u said everyones eye are different

I've shot both and I tend to think the new leupold mk6 3-18 has nice glass just a little better than the nightforce. (I shot them side to side and the nightforce was a little bigger and bulkier but they do look cooler IMO)

I've shot both and I tend to think the new leupold mk6 3-18 has nice glass just a little better than the nightforce. (I shot them side to side and the nightforce was a little bigger and bulkier but they do look cooler IMO)

Does 6-18 come in 50mm obj? I can only find 44

Depending how far you plan on shooting, there's a big difference between 25x and 15x... I am a fan of always being able to have more power.

Love my Mark 6, at 3-18 power its a pretty decent magnification range, glass quality is superb on the new scopes (Mark 8 3.5-25x56 included). The Mark 6 is a FFP, and I am a first focal plane kinda guy. For whatever reason getting First Focal jacks up the price on the Nightforce (which is why I'm not a fan) and Nightforce not really catering to FFP scopes has always left me with a sour taste. However to remain unbiased I will say I have looked thru and shot with a NF F1 3.5-15x50 and it was very good quality as well.

Nightforces come with Illuminated reticles for the most part, a feature that usually jacks up the price on the Leupy. Don't know if that's a deal breaker for you or not.

Don't know your ring situation but Nightforce also comes with rings, Leupolds don't. Think the Mark 4 LR/T is a 30mm tube Mark 6 is a 34mm tube, and the Mark 8 is a 35mm tube. They both give you multiple turret/reticle options regarding mil/mil, mil/moa.

Finally I have had great luck with Leupold's Customer service, Can't comment on Nightforce have no experience with them.

Good Luck, honestly i don't think you can go wrong with either.

Does 6-18 come in 50mm obj? I can only find 44

the Mark 6 3-18 is a 44mm objective lens. 12" long and pretty damn light\

here is a pic of mine on my 700 SPS tactical, 20"

Attachments

• rem7002.jpg
    rem7002.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Well the OP stated a SFP preference so l would suggest the NF ATACR. It si much closer in magnification to the Mk4 you compare it to and although the cost is higher it is a superior scope. Our team recently upgraded from the Mk4 to the ATACR on our duty rigs and all I can say is "wow" best scope I have ever mounted. As pointed out it is a tad heavy but outdated? The MOAR reticle is excellent and the scope has many features. Now if "outdated" refers to the SFP then that is hardly a criteria as SFP and MOA are still useable and in some cases a better option (as well as the OP preference) So for a little extra saving you will have a superior optic that should last for a very long time.

Sully

Just my perspective, but "out dated" to me is a new scope to the market with only a 5x erector. When Bushnell, Leupold, SB, March all have 6,7,8,9 and 10x erectors.

I switched all over my precision rifle optics over to Nightforce from Leupold. I was having quality issues with Leupold (mostly clicks not matching MOA). I now have 5 Nightforce scopes and all of them are dead on in the tall target test. They are almost the same price, but I believe the Nightforce is a higher quality product. BTW, I have a 3.5-15x50 NSX with the MOAR reticle on a 700 SPS like yours, and I ring 15" steel at 1000 yards with it all the time. It is plenty of glass for that. The only downside to the NSX scopes is that they seem very heavy.

i was at a shoot a couple weeks ago and two nightforces "broke" on the line one 15 power and one 22 power the 15 zero stop failed if i remember right and the 22 lost capability of tracking windage either way not good not saying leupolds are better ive jsut never have had any problems with mine. but mine are all MK4's with ffp and tmr's and one with a h-37

Everything breaks, every brand has some issue from time to time, statistically it has to happen. It means absolutely nothing.

Don't pick based on the fact that another brand broke, I'd pick based on newest design given your price range and needs.

To a large extent it is not empirical, it is emotional.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have owned both scopes up for discussion and used the hell out of them both extensively for work. I ran a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 for years on my .300 and switched for a Leupold 6.5-20X50. The biggest benefit I ever saw from the Nightforce was the distinction from slot to slot as you rotated the windage and elevation knobs. But I have been incredibly happy with all of my Leupolds. I was invited into Leupold recently and taken into their impact testing room and watched them break scopes from their own to S&B and everything in between. I got to watch them snap a USO in half while the Mark 4's held up fine. The only thing that could keep up was the Nightforce. I am an absolute loyal Leupold user as they have treated me well, ensuring that my sniper section went over seas with the best scopes they could donate, and I currently run a Mark 6 3-18 on my .300 now. That being said, I think that Nightforce makes a phenomenal scope and you'll be hard pressed to find a whole lot difference as far as durability goes. The reality is that you need to get behind both and find what your personal preference is. Personally I don't think there is a better scope for LRP shooting than the 3-18 right now, but it's a tactical scope and if you're looking for MOA and second focal plane, I would look at the Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20 or a Nightforce 5.5-22X56.

I have the Leupold in question, sent it in to the factory for a cleaning, checked over, and re-pressurized, N/C, gotta like that! 8.5x25-50

I am looking to upgrade my existing Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm to a scope with more magnification. The rifle is a Remington SPS Tactical in .308 with a heavy 20" barrel. I have narrowed it down to a Nightforce and a Leupold with more magnification. I am looking for some first hand experiences regarding the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm and the NightForce 3.5-15x50mm NXS. I have heard the Nightforce has a clearer field of view. I am comfortable with the Leupold, so staying with that company would be easy. But I am trying to keep my options open. I am not a fan of the ffp, so i would like to stick with the sfp.

I have the Leupold scope you are talking about. It is mounted on my Styer SSG04 (.308) I have no complaints at all with it. I have had it and used it about 8 years (I'm thinking since 2005) It has served well in all sorts of conditions and never given me a moments problem. In fact during all that time I have barely had even any issues with the zero (La Rue mounts). I can not give this any more praise than it has never been an issue.

Unfortunately I do not have any experience with the NightForce so I am unable to comment on it.

In my case - because of the good experience with the Leupold I would stay with it and not bring a new variable into the mix.

Charles