• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold vs Zeiss

WVU

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Fairmont, West Virginia
I'm looking to put a scope on my new Long Range gun (thanks to my wonderful wife)

Gun: 300 RUM Remington 700 Sendero SFII
Scope Options:
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 Rapid Z 1000 Reticle
Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 TMR
Does anyone have any experience with the Rapid Z reticle? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions?

Anyone reccommend a diff scope? If so, what's your reasoning?

I'd like to stay under 1,200 if possible...thanks for any and all input

WVU

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss

I had the zeiss rapid z-1000 reticle on a 4.5-14x conquest. I didn't think highly of it. There are various problems with a SFP velocity reticle. Basically, you can only use it well for one kind of round with one kind of environment. Very restrictive and not versatile enough. I would have preferred a mil type reticle with some hold over points like the gen 2 XR i have. The glass of the Zeiss is significantly better than the Leopuold MK4. If you just go with the mil dot version for the Zeiss, it should be fine.

My vote would be the Leupold. I have the Mk4 you are talking about, and my brother has the Zeiss. He is going to be selling it, as he got in on the new SS group buy. Like previously mentioned, the reticle is a limiting factor. And for my personal tastes, it was way too cluttered. The Zeiss also only has 1" tube, therefore limited adjustment. A canted base isn't that big of a deal, but the Mk4 is a far more versatile scope.

I'm a big fan of the TMR reticle.

id look at swfa's SS line. also check out IORs in your price range. you might could pick up a used nightforce in that price range too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WVU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to put a scope on my new Long Range gun (thanks to my wonderful wife)

Gun: 300 RUM Remington 700 Sendero SFII
Scope Options:
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 Rapid Z 1000 Reticle
Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 TMR
Does anyone have any experience with the Rapid Z reticle? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions?

Anyone reccommend a diff scope? If so, what's your reasoning?

I'd like to stay under 1,200 if possible...thanks for any and all input

WVU
</div></div>

From two- Leupold EMR Mark 4 6.5-20x50 TMR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WVU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does anyone have any experience with the Rapid Z reticle? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions?</div></div>I have the Rapid Z1000 in a 6-24 x56 Diavari.
The Rapid Z reticle is easy to use if you go to Zeiss' website and read how to use it. The guys that don't like it never learned how to use it properly. It is not limited to one round like other ballistic reticles. Zeiss has a free online calculator for you to enter you load data. It then tells you how to use the reticle for your load. The Rapid Z 1000 can be set up to use the 1 through 10 lines as the zeros for 100 through 1000 yards if you wish. You also have the option to dial everything as you would with the Loupy scope. One thing that I like, the windage holdover marks are calibrated for each distance as well, no trying to remember how many marks or mils, or moa for a 10 mph breeze, use the marks. I think the glass makes the choice easy, but it is your money. Go to the Ziess site and download the manual, then read the tutorials on the Rapid Z reticle.

Vortex PST, newer Sightron S3, used Nightforce 3-15. Knobs match the reticule, more features, Nightforce will be the most reliable and probably 1300$ used. Could also get the 3-15 weaver FFP model, 750$ at midway and people around here seem pretty positive about them.

I like the rapid-Z1000 reticle a lot, I use it on my semi-auto platform and love to use the holdovers for quick shots on game. But as Shottist says...you have to learn to use it. Zeiss glass is awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the rapid-Z1000 reticle a lot, I use it on my semi-auto platform and love to use the holdovers for quick shots on game. But as Shottist says...you have to learn to use it. Zeiss glass is awesome! </div></div>

Leupold EMR Mark 4 6.5-20x50 M5 H-27
6.5x distance 300m.
65-3002.jpg

LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS!

but between the two, i'd go with the leupold. i've never been a fan of the rapid z reticles.

the 1" tube on the zeiss is also a factor.

i owned sightron SIII's and Weaver Tacticals before upgrading my rifles to leupolds. for the money, both are very good scopes.

i had SIII's for a while and i can tell you that the glass is excellent, the adjustments are repeatable, and it's a very robust scope.

sightron customer service is also excellent.

the Weaver Tactical series have good glass, more features, and repeatable adjustments but i can't comment on durability.

In general, the Zeiss Conquest Series (in my opinion) was introduced as a lower priced alternative to other, higher quality Zeiss scopes. In this comparison, my vote would absolutely be for the Leupold Mark 4 scope.

George P.

Get in on the group by that GA is offering and you will have all the scope you need and it meets your money requirements. It is going to be a fantastic scope for the money. Look under group buys for the info.

If your near the Charleston area let me know. Myself and Brandon will take you to the range and let you play with a Night Force and a new SS 5-20. Not to mention and Mcmillan A5 and Manners T5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Shottist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WVU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does anyone have any experience with the Rapid Z reticle? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions?</div></div>I have the Rapid Z1000 in a 6-24 x56 Diavari.
The Rapid Z reticle is easy to use if you go to Zeiss' website and read how to use it. The guys that don't like it never learned how to use it properly. It is not limited to one round like other ballistic reticles. Zeiss has a free online calculator for you to enter you load data. It then tells you how to use the reticle for your load. The Rapid Z 1000 can be set up to use the 1 through 10 lines as the zeros for 100 through 1000 yards if you wish. You also have the option to dial everything as you would with the Loupy scope. One thing that I like, the windage holdover marks are calibrated for each distance as well, no trying to remember how many marks or mils, or moa for a 10 mph breeze, use the marks. I think the glass makes the choice easy, but it is your money. Go to the Ziess site and download the manual, then read the tutorials on the Rapid Z reticle. </div></div>

I'll disagree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah the wonderful trap of the ballistic reticle.

Your ballistic reticle is made around a specific muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and density altitude. Change any of those three items and your ballistic reticle will not work correctly. Not to mention a drastic change in temperature. You can dial to correct for the range in which you are shooting however the rest of the reticle is now useless. Change in the DA will also have a affect on your windage lines. Meaning they also will not be correct.
</div></div>

I really like my Zeiss Conquest with the Varmint reticle. However, like others have stated, the glass isn't my issues, it's the amount of elevation that is available. The 1" tube hampers elevation ability.

I have a couple Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot and Rapid Z-1000, and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 TMR. I agree with the posters above, Zeiss has the better glass, but has problems with elevation adjustments. I am currently having trouble getting a 100 yard zero with the Zeiss and Badger 20 MOA base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot and Rapid Z-1000, and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 TMR. I agree with the posters above, Zeiss has the better glass, but has problems with elevation adjustments. I am currently having trouble getting a 100 yard zero with the Zeiss and Badger 20 MOA base. </div></div>
Yes,-100MOA-120MOA it large plus.