• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-3 turret change to M1 or Screw On Dials

Mike59

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2018
NC
I've have a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 scope with the capped target turrets and I've decided to change them out. I spoke to the Leupold Custom Shop and basically have 3 options - M1 turrets, screw on dials, or CDS (Custom Dial System). M1 turrets or CDS cost is $155 for 1 and $225 for 2. Screw on dials are $80 each. When I originally called them it was to inquire about the screw on dials and also what other options I might have. I mostly shoot paper with this scope, might shoot some steel, but don't plan to ever use it hunting so having low capped turret dials isn't a factor. Just FYI - turnaround time for any of the options is 4-6 weeks and the guy I was talking to said they are currently turning things around on the quicker side of that.

I'm leaning heavily towards the M1 turrets x2 with 2nd choice being screw on dials x2. I'm not a fan of the CDS and I'd go with screw on dials before the CDS turrets unless I heard something bad about the screw on dials.

I'd very much appreciate hearing any of your thoughts, experiences, recommendations, opinions, ... etc.

Thanks much in advance!

Mike

I'd go with the Screw on Dial only if you can see yourself wanting to go back to capped turrets, or if you can see yourself taking the SOD turrets and moving them to another scope in the future. Otherwise I'd go for the M1s. They're tall, which is useful for target shooting, and there are aftermarket zero stops available for M1 turrets should you need it.

Reactions: Mike59
I'd go with the Screw on Dial only if you can see yourself wanting to go back to capped turrets, or if you can see yourself taking the SOD turrets and moving them to another scope in the future. Otherwise I'd go for the M1s. They're tall, which is useful for target shooting, and there are aftermarket zero stops available for M1 turrets should you need it.

That was what I had thought about and decided that I didn't see myself going back and kind of see the M1 as a permanent solution vs. a temporary solution. Additionally there are other advantages to the M1 turrets such as the graduation lines to let me know where I am relative to full revolutions. Not a big deal if just shooting targets at 50 yds, 100 yds, but I could see myself in conditions where that would be useful.

Re the zero stops - when I was talking to Leupold the guy said that they had a shims solution for $10 / turret so I'd probably just go with that. Hard to find anything out there about some of the Leupold stuff like the shims and even the screw on dials other than a product announcement from a few years back.

Thanks much for your thoughts!

Mike

A lot of the old screw on dials pics are probably mine from my 4.5-14x550 vx3.

When I got mine it was 50 bucks for each turret and they were shipped to my door in a week.

They offered two versions:
1- was a zero stop model that is (sort of) limited to one revolution (14moa)
2- was a non zero stop model that allowed for multiple revolutions.

(I have both models but only internal pics of the non zero stop model, only difference being a tiny zero stop bearing pressed into the top cover recess)

Assembled turret off the scope- it has 6 white dashes all around the ridged bottom- that allows you to vary the amount of tightening in order to to get it to line up. You have a small foam squeezy thing on your scope already that the cap presses agasint to weather seal it. This still presses against that seal but the seal is squishy enough for you to get the line lined up properly for you while still keeping it sealed up.

In the three pieces-
The top left is what actually screws down onto the scope, that silver rod has a raised ridge in the other covered up end that slips into the flat on the scopes actual adjustment
The bottom is the zero stop ring, it slides down over the first piece, notice the raised bump, thats the stop but it also serves as a block for a second revolution.
The top right is the cap that goes over the before two pieces, the zero stop verison has a ball bearing presed into it that hangs down to touch the zero stop rings bump, the non stop version is just missing that bearing.

The zero stop ring installed on the base.

This is the bottom of the top cap, you can see the recess, that is where the bearing for the zero stop goes.

Installed on the scope. Notice that there is a slight gap between the bottom piece and the top cover piece. There is a bit of play between the top cap and the bottom bases silver spline. If I were to install it all the way down it would be limited to one revolution via zero stop catching the tops bump bearing. But because there is a bit of play on the siler spline I just lifted it up a tad before tightening down and now I hit and feel the zero stop but if I keep turning it the ball bearing runs over it to let me have access to a second revolution. You have to keep track of where you dialed like this since it has no rev marks and you hit the zero stop on the way down from the second revolution as well but it does let me dial more than the 14 moa I would otherwise be limited to. So maybe when installed high its more accurately described as more of a MTzC (More Tactile zero Click) turret than proper zero stop.

If you are going to be doing a bunch of shooting over 500 yards then I would upgrade the internal turrets to the m dials at the extra cost.

I use mine as a hunting scope so it will only rarely get dialed over one revolution past 500 yards so it was the easy affordable and sensible solution for my situation.

Last edited:
@spife7980 - wow ... thanks for taking the time to post that description of the screw on dials! You should sell it to Leupold - by far and away the best and most informative information I've seen about them .... and I always thought I was pretty good at getting Google to give up the goods :)

Based on everything you said I do think the M1 is going to be the better option for me. I don't remember the guy I spoke to saying anything about 2 versions of the screw on dials but that may be because I was more interested in the M1 turrets option. He did say that he has them installed on one of his scopes and that he's been very happy with it given it's limitations and his uses. The cost difference isn't really a big deal since I would want 2 of whatever I go with so that comes down to $160 for the screw on dials or $225 for the M1 turrets. $65 over the lifetime of the scope is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things and I intend to ride this scope to my grave even though I have others and I'm sure there will be more to come.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post the write up and pics about the screw on dials - you rock!

Update ... decided that I'm going to go with the M1 turrets, got packing materials all ready to go, called the Leupold Custom Shop today and wouldn't you know it - they are closed today for "process and product training". I'm going to have to wait until Monday to get the process moving along.

Much thanks to everyone for your input, thoughts, experiences, suggestions, ... etc. - your efforts are greatly appreciated!

I'll report back when I get the scope back.

Thanks again!

Mike

I had M1s put on a VX3 about 6-7 years ago when it was still a reasonable price. Think it was like $155 for both or something much more reasonable. Leupold recently had a dramatic increase of custom shop prices for reticle/turret changes. I really do like the M1s tho

Reactions: Mike59 and trob_205
I had M1s put on a VX3 about 6-7 years ago when it was still a reasonable price. Think it was like $155 for both or something much more reasonable. Leupold recently had a dramatic increase of custom shop prices for reticle/turret changes. I really do like the M1s tho
Same here. I no longer own the scope but my buddy has my old 4.5-14 that I had an impact x mas tree reticle and M1 turrets installed on. It’s a great little scope. I think I had around 300 into the reticle and turrets though so price has definitely increased.

Reactions: Mike59
Thanks @10ring1 and @trob_205 - good to hear good and happy experiences. Wish I had done it a few years ago too. A few years from now I’ll be able to say ... “I remember when it only cost $225 for 2 M1 turrets!” :)

Update:

So, I decided to go with the M1 turrets for both elevation and windage turrets and a zero stop shim kit.

Turn around time is unbelievable ... assuming they actually did the work ...

6/25/19 - shipped scope to Leupold via UPS slow boat

7/3/19 - email from Leupold that they received my scope and to call them to confirm work to be done and make payment

7/9/19 - would have called sooner but they were closed 7/4, then weekend, then didn't get a chance on Monday but spoke to Leupold Tuesday 7/9/19 around 2:00 EST and confirmed what I wanted done, gave CC info. I asked about turnaround time that I expected to be the 4-6 weeks but they told me that it would definitely be on the short end of that since their workload was low.

7/11/19 - yes, that's not a typo - 2 days later - really only 1 1/2 days - at 9am I got an email that my scope has been shipped w/ tracking number info.

I'll update again when I get the scope and get a chance to play with it but all I can say is wow - 2 day turnaround time is pretty good. Anyone wanting any Leupold custom shop work done should do it now!

Reactions: Redbeard1329