• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX 5 CDS system

Jmyers

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019
Seminole Florida
Looking into this scope and the CDS system, just wanted to see what experiences are out there with it good or bad before I drop the money on one.

Looking into this scope and the CDS system, just wanted to see what experiences are out there with it good or bad before I drop the money on one.

You mean the zero lock turrets?
Some folk say they don't track, but I and others have had good experiences.

The Cds is just a custom engraved dial with is calibrated to one cartridge, most folk here would rather use the plain moa turret.

The turrets seem small trying to dial up for a 400 yard shot on a deer or elk with gloves on. I was just curious on the custom dial if anyone had experience with it. I have 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 143 grain strictly hunting. I was on the fence with Leupold, I have a nightforce SHV I was planning mounting on it. Which way would you lean?

Optically, my opinion is the vx5 is going to have much better glass. My experience with a vx6 HD, mechanically the same as a vx5, so far is it tracks very well....
but if i was planning on dialing a lot id still bet on the nightforce to hold up better over the long haul.

I think the turret will be accurate as long as you give them extremely accurate info to input.

Reactions: mike e
I would rather have the VX5 on a hunting rifle but either of those scopes would be more than enough. My VX5 tracks very good- but it is on a hunting rifle so I don't dial that much. It doesn't take much to get to 500 yds. I would also trust the nightforce more for lots of dialing. Gloves shouldn't be a problem.

I was told (by the salesperson) that if you are going to shoot long distance with the VX5 and the custom turret that you need to do a tall target test and find out what % error you have in the scope.... and then factor that into the info that you give them. Even if you give excellent info you will be off at distance if the scope only moves 95% or what you dial. I just use the moa turret and verified it out to distance.... but it is repeatable.

Excellent information exactly what I’m looking for, I’m not planning on shooting at an animal past 400 or 500. Thanks

If you plan to dial with it just run a tall turret test when you first buy it.
If it fails get it sent back for calibration.

When performing Tall target test, what should you dial in MOA at 100 to serve as a proper test?

When performing Tall target test, what should you dial in MOA at 100 to serve as a proper test?
Set your zero perfectly, hang a chalkline from the top of your target and snap a vertical line.
You'll shoot at a bullseye at the bottom, shoot your zero then dial up your scope in 5 or 10 moa increments.
I like to make a line at 10, 15, 20, 25,and 30 minutes.
look up the exact measurements an moa is not a true inch at 100 yards.
This is a very important test, my vx5 failed miserably

I have a VX6 with the CDS on my hunting rifle. First year, I just dialed with the standard CDS. Second season is used the custom dial that I ordered through Leupold (one free with new scope). I think it is a good solution for a hunting rifle scope that will be carried a lot and shot a little.

Set your zero perfectly, hang a chalkline from the top of your target and snap a vertical line.
You'll shoot at a bullseye at the bottom, shoot your zero then dial up your scope in 5 or 10 moa increments.
I like to make a line at 10, 15, 20, 25,and 30 minutes.
look up the exact measurements an moa is not a true inch at 100 yards.
This is a very important test, my vx5 failed miserably

This, but some degree of error is not unreasonable.
The likes of Frank and others say around 3% error is acceptable.

If the error is consistent then it is easy to compensate for, but if the clicks are all over the place then that is not good.
I'd argue that perfect clicks are not as important as a scope that tracks perfectly vertically, if the reticle is canted or tracks off from vertical then that is a bigger issue that is harder to account for.

Either way, the VX5hd is very good optically and is very light weight, if there are tracking issues send it back to Leupold and you will have yourself a very good hunting scope.

I went with the VX 6 ..on a Christensen 300 win mag. The CDS dial worked out to 650 where I ran out of range. At 300 yard hit 5 inch steel. Ordered it for Colorado..and zeroed at sea level for CDS ... 180 Nosler trophy ammo and was 1/4 moa at 100