• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-5 zero-stop only 2 revolutions of elevation

stillsteamn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2020
Hi All, I'd like to try shooting targets at the longest distance reasonably possible with my .300 Win Mag and a hunting scope. I bought a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS ZL2. I mounted it using Talley Lightweight 20moa mounts, then to get it zeroed at 200 yards I removed the zero-stop mechanism and moved the reticle roughly 20 minutes to offset the 20moa mounts. I was thinking I would then get 3 full turret revolutions of elevation out of the scope. But as you all probably know, the factory Leupold zero-stop mechanism stops after slightly less than 2 turns (actually 38moa). 38moa should get me out to 1100 yards. 3 turns (58moa) would get me out to 1350 yards. Is there a different zero stop mechanism I can buy? Also if I get my "free" CDS turret made by Leupold, would that only be marked in distance for 2 revolutions? I don't really want to get a CDS turret made anyway because I'll be shooting at widely different elevations between home and hunting so I was planning to use tables.

The ZL2 turret is limited to 38moa, CDS turrets wouldn't change that.

There is a ZL3 turret (3 revolutions) in some models of the 4-20x52 model. There is also the Mark 5hd which has a 3 revolution turret.

Thanks for the reply, beetroot. Thinking of my options: I suppose I could disable or remove the spring loaded pin in my ZL2 turret cap so that the turret will not stop after 2 turns "up". But that would also kill the zero-stop feature which is nice to have.
Other option I briefly looked at but I don't know if it will work: Looking at the "mouse track" on top of the scope turret which the spring-loaded ZL2 pin follows, I could dremel out the barrier which stops the turret after 2 turns "up". But then when turning back down, I don't know if the pin would find its way back to follow the track to the proper zero stop location. I'm guessing people have gone down this path before and found some solution to allow using 3 turns of elevation. It's in there, I hate to waste it.

Yes you could just take a dremel to the pin that rides in the revolution track but you would then loose your zero stop.
If you are set on the 3-15 you could contact Leupold and perhaps they could retrofit a ZL3 turret.

Do you need the extra elevation? If not then don't worry about it.
If it were me and I needed to shoot over 1350yards I'd look at a different scope.

Did anyone find a solution for this? I am having the same issue.
It's not an issue, it's just the way it's designed to work.
You could get one of the VX5 4-20s with the ZL3 turret if you need more that 38moa/15mils usable elevation otherwise you will need to get a different scope.

You could hack apart the lock function of the turret if you really wanted to and that would give you more revolutions.