• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm

rebelmatt79

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Arkansas, USA
Can someone talk me out of this scope and suggest another?
I think I've made my decision, but want to make sure.
It's going on a Browning A-Bolt 308 with 22" barrel.

Last edited:
We can try but it depends on what you really intend to use it for to be honest. It is great for some things, pretty awful at others.

I'd say it is an excellent choice for a hunting rifle. An alternative could be the VX-3 3.5-10 CDS which gives you external .25 MOA clicks (I've got one on my 30.06).

I'm thinking of building a lighter weight hunting setup and looking at the VX-R 2-7 or VX-3 2.5-8.

The glass is clean and clear, the illumination is very daytime bright, the turrets are and the reticle are in MIL so that very nice to have, and they are lightweight. I think they would be great scopes for a hunting rifle.

We have them in stock so if we can be of help let me know.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

What would be the effective sighting range of the VX-R 3-9x40 on a target range
mounted on a .308 bolt gun w/ 20" barrel and MIL-1913 rail w/ 20 MOA slope? I'm
just curious if this scope might be suitable for "light-duty" target shooting, as it
has some good features for its price point.

I have one with the No. 4 ret as my deer area has some low light ravines I still hunt as the light fades. I'll be testing it at 100-500 yards at the end of the month and let you know how it works. Initial take is very clear glass, solid clicks, and sound construction.

The particular version I was thinking of is the VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 with the Firedot-TMR reticle.
I'm wondering if this scope, mounted on my FN PBR-XP .308 w/ 20" barrel and a MIL-1913 rail
w/ 20 MOA slope, would be able to range out to 600-700 yds. Any thoughts?

Have not looked through this scope but I know from talking to others that the TMR ret. used in the Patrol is not the same as the one found in the Mark 4 line. It's much thicker/coarser and have heard that it is difficult to range with; someone who has shot it can chime in.

The main thing the VX-R Patrol has going for it is compactness and lightweight. They have matching reticle and adjustments and are in the mil format which is nice for us mil-prefering guys. The downsides are mainly in the reticle. The .5 mil lines are very hard to distinguish from the 1 mil lines. Several guys have complained about sloppy etching of the reticle. The glass was rated by a Leupold guy at shotshow as about vx 2.5, as it uses some technology from the older vx3 line. There are better tactical scopes for $600, and there are better hunting scopes for $600, but not many this compact and light with its mil/mil features. The Mark AR 3-9 won't have quite as crisp of glass, but IMO has better reticle choices and is a better value, and even lighter yet. Aside from weight, the SS 3-9 has them beat in all categories IMO.

The particular version I was thinking of is the VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 with the Firedot-TMR reticle.
I'm wondering if this scope, mounted on my FN PBR-XP .308 w/ 20" barrel and a MIL-1913 rail

I have the 1.25-4x version of the VX-R Patrol on my LMT MWS right now. It's one of my favorites, due in part to its light weight. I would probably want a slightly more powerful scope than a 3-9x to be accurate at 700 yds, but my vision isn't what it used to be. Still, those are nice scopes for the money.

w/ 20 MOA slope, would be able to range out to 600-700 yds. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE

In a word.....No.

Where this scope fails is in ranging and trying to utilise the reticle. It is simply awful.

Where I think it excels is in the quality of the glass and the firedot. I think it is brilliant as a red dot optic for those who want variable magnification. If you find that a red dot just do is just too restricted for nearer range, then this could be the answer for quick shots or dialled shots because the turrets are decent...makes it great for hunting and great for quick engagements beyond the traditional range of red dots. Just don't expect to range with it. I have mine mounted on an AR and it works great.

It is not a great ranging reticle. It is much thicker than the regular TMR reticle, and at the 600-700 yard range, covers a lot of target. For hold-over, it's just fine, but isn't ideal for milling.

I have a 3-9 vx-r patrol with the red firedot. I like it a lot. The glass is great, it tracks fine, and the dot is super-bright. I wish the turrets locked or had a zero stop. I have knocked them off zero while crawling at a competition. If I would have taken the time to look at the turrets, I would have known, but I didn't - and missed two shots.

With a 20" bolt gun with a 20 MOA base, you will have no problem getting 600+ yard shots. I have hit those with a 16" AR-15 with 55 grain bullets on a flat base. Not a great setup for that range, but I have been able to make hits. You're gun will do better.

The pros on this scope outweigh the cons. I think it would be a spectacular hunting scope.

It is not a great ranging reticle. It is much thicker than the regular TMR reticle, and at the 600-700 yard range, covers a lot of target. For hold-over, it's just fine, but isn't ideal for milling.

I have a 3-9 vx-r patrol with the red firedot. I like it a lot. The glass is great, it tracks fine, and the dot is super-bright. I wish the turrets locked or had a zero stop. I have knocked them off zero while crawling at a competition. If I would have taken the time to look at the turrets, I would have known, but I didn't - and missed two shots.

With a 20" bolt gun with a 20 MOA base, you will have no problem getting 600+ yard shots. I have hit those with a 16" AR-15 with 55 grain bullets on a flat base. Not a great setup for that range, but I have been able to make hits. You're gun will do better.

The pros on this scope outweigh the cons. I think it would be a spectacular hunting scope.

My experience also. Love the firedot. Good glass. Reticle is too thick for precision milling or range past 550-600 yds and could use an update.
Non-locking turrets are easily moved.

For the money its a great scope and on my main hunting AR.