• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX6HD or Swarovski Z6

Semperfi87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I’m looking for a high end piece of glass going on a Weatherby MK V Euromark in 270 wby. I’ve been looking into these 2 scopes specifically which has the better glass pros and cons of both? The Z6 is priced higher but I can get a used Z6 for around the same price as the Leupold

Have you taken a look at the Kahles K16i? Kahles and Swarovski are sisters companies and the glass is the same in the K16i and Z6 but the K16i has (In my opinion) better reticle options, they are also more common and you can pick one up in the classifieds for $1500-$1600. There's currently one for sale HERE.

I've owned a K16i and have another on the way and they are amazing.

I'm interested to hear about the Leupold as well. I like the simplicity of the fire dot reticle and have been considering the V6 HD.

Reactions: Alabama556
I'm interested to hear about the Leupold as well. I like the simplicity of the fire dot reticle and have been considering the V6 HD.
I have two VX6 HD but with the illum. TMOA reticle. Leupold did very well with keeping the reticle simple and not too thick. I have been using one for hunting and it works well...not too busy but still have the holdover options. Because I have two I may be selling one in favor of the Mark 5 but as far as a scope for a hunting rifle ...the lightweight of the vx6hd is the winner in my opinion for ease of carrying.

I’m looking for a high end piece of glass going on a Weatherby MK V Euromark in 270 wby. I’ve been looking into these 2 scopes specifically which has the better glass pros and cons of both? The Z6 is priced higher but I can get a used Z6 for around the same price as the Leupold
Did you find a scope yet?

I have two VX6 HD but with the illum. TMOA reticle. Leupold did very well with keeping the reticle simple and not too thick. I have been using one for hunting and it works well...not too busy but still have the holdover options. Because I have two I may be selling one in favor of the Mark 5 but as far as a scope for a hunting rifle ...the lightweight of the vx6hd is the winner in my opinion for ease of carrying.

Good info - thanks!

I haven't had a z6 but I've had 3 vx6hd 3-18x50s and I really like them.

The two scopes are probably very comparable.

The vx-6hd does have the electronic level indicator reticle though.

I guess pick the reticle you like best out of the two scopes and go with that. I don't think you can go wrong.

I haven't had a z6 but I've had 3 vx6hd 3-18x50s and I really like them.

The two scopes are probably very comparable.

The vx-6hd does have the electronic level indicator reticle though.

I guess pick the reticle you like best out of the two scopes and go with that. I don't think you can go wrong.
I find the electronic leveling system on the Leupold great for bench rest shooting but distracting when shooting game so I turn it off for hunting. just my two cents on that since you mentioned it

I have both Z8i 1-8 and VX6HD 1-6 scopes. I think the Leupold glass is brighter, side by side, in daylight, at 1 power. The illuminated circle dot reticle on the Swaro is preferable to the Leupold dot, as the Swaro allows both dot and circle-dot. The power adjustment ring on the Swaro is easier to turn as provided than the Leupold with the lever attached. The Swaro sighting adjustment is simpler and preferable to that of the Leupold. The Swaro is somewhat heavier. If I were choosing between a Swaro Z6i and a Leupold VX6HD, I'd probably go with the Leupold, on cost. But, I do prefer the Z8i. A 1 power level with the circle-dot illuminated is about the best for close fast work. Having the 8 power capability is for me a significant upgrade over the Leuopold's 6, one that doesn't leave me wanting more magnification for my uses. I do want more than 6.

I think the Swaro Z8i 1-8 is the best hunting riflescope I've ever seen or used. That said, for half the price, you can't lose with the Leupold. All of this said, the "feel" of the Swaro is perfect, better than the Leupold; it feels like you could drive nails with it. Despite advertising, I don't think either gives a true 1 power. I've never seen or used a comparable Zeiss, Kahles. I think both Leupold and Swaro give good value for the money.

Try to find a dealer who'll work with you on price - this may be a riflemaker. I've had $500 off the Swaro, $400 off the Leupold.

I'm also very pleased with my Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.6 x 42. It also has the illuminated circle-dot reticle. It's on Dad's Mark V 300 Weatherby, custom from the shop back in 1964. What a wonderful combination! Makes me smile just thinking about it!