• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold's New Mk 6 1-6x24 Tactical review at SHOT!

Re: Leupold Mk6 1-6x24 Tactical review - looks good!

very nice, been waiting to see some pics of that one.

Lookin' good; can't wait to see more. It's good to see Leupy getting back in the game with some on-target new offerings. New 1-6x from both Leupy and Bushnell...the low-power variable scene is getting very interesting!

If this Leupold is any good, it will certainly upset the apple cart for the 1-8 makers. S&B recently announced a $300 price hike for their 1-4 short-dot - just who at $2800 is going to buy one of these now? Furthermore, you have to think that at this price point the Mark 6 will certainly eat into some of S&B's 1-8 short-dot market (now priced at $3600) and potentially cannibalize Leupold's own 1.1-8 effort. I know it's an FFP, but I'd like to get a look at the reticles being offered.

Very interesting. I would love to see some reticle images and see how bright the illumination is.

Yes, kind of silly to be showing off the battery box and not the reticle and illumination features...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take one please. </div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, kind of silly to be showing off the battery box and not the reticle and illumination features... </div></div>
I was thinking the exact same thing. Haha, I was happy to finally get a look at it but, who cares about the battery box?
It's got a water tight battery box....okay. How about the reticle? How about a release date?
Those are the things I'd really like to know.
Personally, I can't get one of these on my AR15 fast enough.

I'm waiting to see what all the new options are before buying a new scope for my AR.

Re: Leupold's New Mk 6 1-6x24 Tactical review at SHOT!

interesting battery box, wonder how robust it is.

Looking forward to some reticle pics, looks like a great size and price point

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">interesting battery box, wonder how robust it is.

Looking forward to some reticle pics, looks like a great size and price point </div></div>

Maybe Mike from CS Tactical will do a review on it from SHOT for us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allwheeldriven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a nice little video from Guns&Ammo that has an interview with the engineer that designed it.
I have to say, it looks pretty damn good.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nKFLyOBgYBg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nKFLyOBgYBg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
</div></div>

Nice! Good find!

This is definitely appealing! Like plong states, the lower power optics market is sure getting interesting, lots of new optics coming out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is definitely appealing! Like plong states, the lower power optics market is sure getting interesting, lots of new optics coming out! </div></div>

You just have to wonder where this scope will leave makers like S&B and others that have priced themselves up in the stratosphere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very interesting. I would love to see some reticle images and see how bright the illumination is. </div></div>

+1

The Z6i have pretty much dominated the high-end 3-gun market the last year, but if Leupold can get a good reticle and bright illumination in there, they might have a really strong contender...
They gotta do a better job with the illumination than they did in the CQBSS though.

Bah! BDC reticle according to that video. Mil-based is so much more versatile.

Well, scratch this one off the list...
frown.gif

I'm really interested in this scope. I hope the reticle options won't spoil what could be a "game changer".

Wow nice post and this one is going to be interesting
laugh.gif

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bah! BDC reticle according to that video. Mil-based is so much more versatile.

frown.gif
</div></div>

that's a bummer, I am really getting sick of all of the BDC reticles. I have a variety of calibers and bbl lengths and like to move things around, or atleast have the option

Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 7.62 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W, $1,949.95
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 5.56 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W, $1,949.95
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1, Matte, lllum. Front Focal TMR, $1,949.95

looks like its coming with two BDC reticles and the Tactical Milling Reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 7.62 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W, $1,949.95

looks like its coming with two BDC reticles and the Tactical Milling Reticle </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bah! BDC reticle according to that video. Mil-based is so much more versatile.

frown.gif
</div></div>

that's a bummer, I am really getting sick of all of the BDC reticles. I have a variety of calibers and bbl lengths and like to move things around, or atleast have the option </div></div>

I guess the TMR is flexible. That would be good. 2/10 of a mil per click adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 7.62 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W, $1,949.95

looks like its coming with two BDC reticles and the Tactical Milling Reticle </div></div>
Yeah, I'm hoping that the TMR reticle was just not mentioned in the interview rather than it not being available at all.
I prefer to have mil/mil. If not, the custom turret might be another option if the standard BDC for the Mark 6 is setup for the 55g XM193 round.

I practice with M855 and use MK 262 for competition. I think I could live with a BDC that had turrets set up for the MK 262.... if I had to.
I am not particularly anti-BDC I just learned to shoot using mil and feel it's more versatile.

TMR would work... something like that Bushnell GAP G2 would be the cat's ass, but I'd consider TMR.

krm375 I just saw the SH FB page and saw the 3-18 scope looking good and that will also be interesting.

Aron-

Is the reticle in the first or second focal plane?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the reticle in the first or second focal plane? </div></div>

From the specs, all of the Mark 6 1-6x scopes are FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is definitely appealing! Like plong states, the lower power optics market is sure getting interesting, lots of new optics coming out! </div></div>

You just have to wonder where this scope will leave makers like S&B and others that have priced themselves up in the stratosphere.</div></div>

Hopefully this will force S&B and other makers to reduce their prices. Hopefully...

Anyone know the differences between the new VX-6 and MK6 1-6 scopes? Reticle and tube size seems the two most obvious differences, but the MK6 was nowhere as large as I thought it would be.

34mm tube, ffp and aimpoint bright illuminated reticle. The Mark 6 is about $1500 more expensive than the VX-6. The VX-6 is a hunting scope and the Mark 6 is a combat scope.

What is the weight of this thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... aimpoint bright illuminated reticle...</div></div>

Where did you find that info? That's exactly what I've been wanting to find out but haven't seen it anywhere yet. (not arguing just lookin' for more info myself...
wink.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... aimpoint bright illuminated reticle...</div></div>

Where did you find that info? That's exactly what I've been wanting to find out but haven't seen it anywhere yet. (not arguing just lookin' for more info myself...
wink.gif
) </div></div>

It's mentioned in this review. They mention that the illuminated reticle is very bright (Eotech bright) and daylight visible.

[url="http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/17/cant-touch-the-mark8-cqbss-check-out-the-leupold-mark-6-1-6x/"]http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout...ld-mark-6-1-6x/[/url]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">34mm tube, ffp and aimpoint bright illuminated reticle. The Mark 6 is about $1500 more expensive than the VX-6. The VX-6 is a hunting scope and the Mark 6 is a combat scope. </div></div>

Still, I think with the right reticle the VX-6 could be a useful 3gun scope for much cheaper. I heard it will come with a circle dot reticle, that sounds like it could be useful for 3gun stuff.

Though I just saw the bushnell 1-6.5 and it looks really interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">34mm tube, ffp and aimpoint bright illuminated reticle. The Mark 6 is about $1500 more expensive than the VX-6. The VX-6 is a hunting scope and the Mark 6 is a combat scope. </div></div>
Still, I think with the right reticle the VX-6 could be a useful 3gun scope for much cheaper. I heard it will come with a circle dot reticle, that sounds like it could be useful for 3gun stuff.
Though I just saw the bushnell 1-6.5 and it looks really interesting. </div></div>

They (at least initially) claimed that the CQBSS had bright illumination and that's what many other manufacturers have claimed about their products as well.

Seeing is believing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">34mm tube, ffp and aimpoint bright illuminated reticle. The Mark 6 is about $1500 more expensive than the VX-6. The VX-6 is a hunting scope and the Mark 6 is a combat scope. </div></div>
Though I just saw the bushnell 1-6.5 and it looks really interesting. </div></div>

They (at least initially) claimed that the CQBSS had bright illumination and that's what many other manufacturers have claimed about their products as well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Seeing is believing.</span> </div></div>

My thoughts exactly...<span style="font-style: italic">and I truly hope it is!</span>

These introductory "reviews" make me nervous. I already purchased one low-power variable based on a couple of reviews that claimed daylight visible illumination. It may have been "daylight visible" but it sure wasn't daylight practical (to borrow a phrase from Prairie Dog Dundee) I'd love to hear (objectively) from someone who saw one at SHOT and isn't a company schill...

I'm no optical engineer but it would seem that combining Aimpoint bright illumination with a magnified optic is extremely difficult, based on everything brought to market thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">34mm tube, ffp and aimpoint bright illuminated reticle. The Mark 6 is about $1500 more expensive than the VX-6. The VX-6 is a hunting scope and the Mark 6 is a combat scope. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Seeing is believing.</span> </div></div>

My thoughts exactly...<span style="font-style: italic">and I truly hope it is!</span>

These introductory "reviews" make me nervous. I already purchased one low-power variable based on a couple of reviews that claimed daylight visible illumination. It may have been "daylight visible" but it sure wasn't daylight practical (to borrow a phrase from Prairie Dog Dundee) I'd love to hear (objectively) from someone who saw one at SHOT and isn't a company schill...

I'm no optical engineer but it would seem that combining Aimpoint bright illumination with a magnified optic is extremely difficult, based on everything brought to market thus far. </div></div>

Leupold make 2 versions of the CQBSS, one with a TMR reticle that does not have an Aimpoint bright reticle, and one that comes with a Horus reticle that does have an Aimpoint/Eotech bright dot/halo. Leupold were notoriously bad at communicating the differences to customers and hence we have seen many CQBSS TMR reticle scopes appear in the buy and sell section on this forum. Several reviews have now been done on the Horus version; its reticle is Aimpoint bright - the price though is north of $4k!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... aimpoint bright illuminated reticle...</div></div>

wink.gif
) </div></div>

It's mentioned in this review. They mention that the illuminated reticle is very bright (Eotech bright) and daylight visible.

[url="http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/17/cant-touch-the-mark8-cqbss-check-out-the-leupold-mark-6-1-6x/"]http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout...ld-mark-6-1-6x/[/url] </div></div>

Also was stated in the youtube video from tactical gun review. they said its the same illumination system from the CQBSS.

I can not wait to see some real reviews of all three of the new offerings from Leupold. I've got rifles that have been waiting on optics and rifles that are on the way in need of optics and I think that I've found what I'm going to be putting on top of them. Now, Ive just gotta bide my time until someone gets some hands on with these things...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggie410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... aimpoint bright illuminated reticle...</div></div>

wink.gif
) </div></div>

[url="http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/17/cant-touch-the-mark8-cqbss-check-out-the-leupold-mark-6-1-6x/"]http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout...ld-mark-6-1-6x/[/url] </div></div>

Also was stated in the youtube video from tactical gun review. they said its the same illumination system from the CQBSS. </div></div>

Here's hopin'...

Experience tells me that many of these early "reviews" come from sources that are predisposed to giving over-ably favorable marks to the product and/or vendor ...time will tell, soon I hope!

If it truly is Aimpoint bright with a 1-6 mag range Leupold will have a hard time making enough of them fast enough
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
65c8f8a9.jpg
</div></div>

Great effort. Is the reticle Aimpoint bright in your experience, also what was your overall impression of it in terms of build and glass quality? Did you get a chance to compare it side by side to the CQBSS?

I didn't get to go to shot. The report I heard from Mike Seeklander (guy who I had take this pic) was that it was daytime bright like an aimpoint. Granted he didn't get to take it outside but thats what he was told. He said it appeared to be that way. He is planning on getting one as am I.

The TMR would get my vote.

TMR will be my choice as well, at least for the 1st one...
wink.gif

Scott: are you gonna have these?

NM: just realized you're a Leupold dealer, for some reason I never noticed that before...Duh!

Yes, we are making our move on these soon, but it always helps a little dealer like us to get a grip on what the options are that you really want.

Scott