• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leveling your level

medic727

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Queensbury, NY
A topic that comes up frequently concerns scope and/or anti-cant device leveling. Many members consider a precision level is the best way to confirm/compare their devices accuracy. But, how do you really know which one is reading right? Precision machining is my background. But, metrology, the science of measurement is a passion of mine. It doesn't matter if the level is a $.99 one from Home Depot or a high-precision level from Starrett, they are all checked/calibrated the same way. The principle is known as reversal.

To confirm a level IS level is very easy. You don't even need a completely level surface. As long as the bubble doesn't "peg" at one end or the other you're good to go. Use one edge and one end of the level like a straight edge and draw 2 lines so that when you re-position the level it is placed back in the same spot. Set the level down and note where the edge of the bubble is lined up. Pick up the level and turn it 180° and set it down. Again, note where the bubble lines up. If they are not at the same point the error is 1/2 the difference. If you're lucky and the vial has multiple graduations and is able to be adjusted you can center up the bubble easily. Most decent carpenter's levels have an adustment, either a jackscrew or the entire vial can be rotated. For example, if the bubble stops at the 4th line and after spinning it around it is at the 2nd line, 4-2=2, 1/2 of 2 is 1. Use the adjustment screw and bring the bubble to the 3rd line. The bubble should line up with the 3rd line, no matter which end the level is flipped to. If your level is not adjustable, you can either shim the base or use a Sharpie to mark the true level point.

This can also be helpful if you or someone you let borrow the level drops, dings or otherwise abuses it. Easy check, easy reset.

Good point. I should have added visuals. Coming up as soon as I get home. Until then, just try this, put your carpenters level on what you think is level, then turn it around. It should read the same. Hope I can get the visuals right without making your eyes explode!

makes sense, if i'm correct you are just saying to be sure the "tube" that has the bubble/fluid itself is level within the device it sits….

I wish the average carpenter put as much time into thinking about level and plumb as we do on this forum.

This is the same way you find the center of an A-frame level, don't know why I didn't think of it before for a bubble level.

...And convince the general public that cheapest isn't always best. As you know, it gets old quick having to redo work that the previous owner just had done by the lowest bidder, generally just to "flip" the house/car/whatever. Bad for my bloodpressure.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I'd given it some thought, but it's good to see a well written explanation.

My old "German" level had gradations engraved on the vial.
Problem was, 1 grad = 0.020 mm/m. Wyler brand as I recall, something called an inspection spirit level

Took about an hour to settle and Dog forbid you touched any part of the level except the finger pads or breathed on the vial. :(

Did wonderful with it although, setting a 40K lb printing unit that was 12' high and 8' wide on a 39" base was all sorts of fun. Jack the sucker up with a big ass hydraulic jack, slip a 0.001" shim into place and set it, very gently, back down. Precision printing is a game of 10ths. Level in 2 planes, then tram, then cross tram to eliminate deviation from center. Could take a day to set a unit.

Setting a scope level is child's play.

Last edited: