• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lever action 22

Re: Lever action 22

I have a Winchester 9422 (older model) and it is a smooth tackdriver. Will shoot s, l, lr with no problem.

The Marlin's are also very well liked.

Never had any experience with Henry.

Charlie

Browning BL22--hands down. An absolutely BEAUTIFUL little lever gun.

Another vote for Marlin. I've got my dad's Golden 39A and it's a shooter. Like Greg said they're not really designed for single loading but it can be done.

As a side note, I bought a Henry last year and have been really impressed with the little rifle. The fit and finish is really good and the action is silky smooth. It's lighter and shorter so if I were going to take one on a walk through the woods looking for tree rats I'd probably take the Henry. It's accurate but not quite as accurate as the Marlin.

Both are equally reliable in my experience. Concerning the quality of materials I'd give the nod to Marlin (Henry has a plastic front sight, painted aluminum receiver). Not saying that the Henry is 'cheap' looking just not as substantial (if that makes sense). Again, accuracy nod would go to Marlin. Handiness would lean to Henry. Price nod Henry. The Marlins are relatively expensive but you won't be disappointed.

What I'd really like to have is the take-down, 16.25" bbl'd, Marlin 39 TDS... but lately they've gone through the roof $$$$.

My Brother Bob did some review articles on several Henry .22's, and he speaks to me very highly of them.

I forgot to mention something about Henry. Customer Service.

The President, Anthony Imperato, posted <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">his</span></span> email address on RFC and said if anyone had an issue to contact him. I thought that was pretty cool. When I bought mine it was hitting about 8" high with the rear sight bottomed out. After I determined it wasn't me getting used to the sights I emailed him. He answered about 15-20min later and asked a few questions. About two days later I had a replacement rear sight with a note saying if that didn't work to let him know and they'd send a front sight. My rifle accidentally had a rear sight for a different model installed at the factory.

After some of the horror stories I've heard about CS from various manufacturers I'm very impressed with Henry. I'm actually planning on purchasing one of their youth models for my wife.

Marlin 39A here as well. Great, robust little gun. Accurate and it is a fullsize platform. I love mine for tree rats.

Another vote for Marlin,
I have two of the 39a model and they are fantastic..Do some reading on the Henry before you invest your $$$$. If you want the best rifle I would look elsewhere. Henry uses some fancy name for potmetal on their reciever.. and Brasslite?? just does not reak of quality. Look over on rimfire central.com.. pleanty of reading there..
Again,
Another vote for Marlin.
George of the jungle

I have a Marlin 39, a Browning BL-22 and a Winchester 9422 and all are solid rifles. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them. A friend of mine recently bought a Henry and he is very happy with it too. The Henry does have a cheaper look to the receiver due to the "potmetal" and bake on finish but I haven't heard of any chronic issues with them either.

The henry's are really nice. You seriously won't be dissapointed with one. My brother uses dad's old win 94/22, because it was at the house, and he can fill it with 22 shorts.

I have a Win 9422 and a Marlin 39a
my 9422 also feeds shorts long and long rifle flawlessly

get a Winchester or a Marlin you will be happy with either
the Marlin is heaver and feels more like a centerfire rifle to me

I have the Winchester in 22 mag. It's very well made and more accurate than I expected.

I've had a few .22 levers. In fact I collected 9422's in particular. But if it where my only gun and It was to be put to work I'd choose the browning. It functions great and is light to carry. Good luck, fortunately there are plenty of great rifles to pick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marlin 39, a Browning BL-22 and a Winchester 9422 and all are solid rifles. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them. </div></div>

+1

Have 2 marlin 39a's I love em both. Brother has had a couple winchesters, Great guns also. Not much luck with henry rifles in my past. Never tried the browning ones.

not to hiack but i wonder if the ruger 96 would be a good option for the op . anyone have exp w/ these ?

i have shot the browning and marlin and was impesssed with both . the bl 22 would be my choice .

I vote for the BL-22. Trigger is a tad on the heavy side, but thats normal for lever actions. I believe it holds up to 22 rounds of .22 short, 16 rounds of .22 long, or 14 rounds of .22LR.

I'm fond of the Henry. The others are nice, but nothing is as smooth as the Henry's action. Seems to be a pretty accurate rifle. One I rarely miss with. The only other I'd like to have is an older Marlin. I forget the model, but it has a short stroke and is quite fast to cycle.

Greg- I am having a hard time finding the Marlin-Wondering if they are having a hard time with supply.

I have a BL .22 and it is real sweet, but I just love my 9422s in .22LR and .22MAG. They are my favorites. I don't own a Marlin, but I would.

If you go to NRA lever action silhouette matches, you see a lot of earlier Marlin's used in the small bore class and very few Brownings. Per many conversations, the newer production 39A models do not shoot with the older runs. Winchester 9422s are rare on the line. The above is based on my experience & observations in multiple states.

The sight options are very limited with the Brownings, while there are multiple quality aftermarket iron sights for Marlins. I have used a Henry some and while it does not shoot as well as a good Marlin, it is a pretty good little rifle with a slick action.

I have a browning BL 22 that i really like. I looked hard at the Marlin 39A, but it did not feel as handy (i like the straight grip)as the BL 22 and I like the short level throw of the Browning. That is for new production mondels though. You can find older 39as that are very impressive. I still would like to own the older Trapper models with the 16" barrel and straight stock. They are around 6-700 on gunbroker when I see them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Browning BL22--hands down. An absolutely BEAUTIFUL little lever gun.</div></div>

+1 on the BL-22
I found one the other day for 300.00, MINT. coulnd't pass it up.

I really like the Marlin over the Henery, but my Marlin is from the 50's. I had a Henery 22mag that was a great rifle, but I really didn't like the reciever. It was either painted or powder coated, but it started to chip and peal up from the sharp edges.

The Marlin felt like a real rifle and was super accurate, the Henery was almost as accurate but it wasn't the same quality.

Overall I'g give the Marlin 39 a "10" and the Henery a "8-8.5"

Another vote for the Marlin. (great accuracy, solid feel to the fit and finish)

A big thumbs DOWN for the Ruger. (lousy accuracy, weak lever, poor cycling feel)

That, and the Marlin just looks the best:

marlin_39A.jpg

Another vote for the Marlin 39A Golden. I love mine.