• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lever Action Rifle

VonReich

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Its not a sniper rifle, its not a pistol or knife. I felt this thread would be appropriate.

Anyone have thoughts on the Henry Big Boy .44 Mag lever action rifle?

I was going to get one for my dad when i pick up my Sendero, if its a decent rifle that is...

Just looking for input

Re: Lever Action Rifle

What for Miller? GP? Deer?

You'll get some more and better responses if you have a little more on the "what its for" as information goes.

I think it could be a hell of a lot of fun to have a .44 carbine, and for deer in the deep woods, that would certainly do em.

C_K

I like to carry a lever gun (my favorite is a marlin 30/30). As a brush gun for deer. Got a nice 4x4 mulie up in northern Nevada with mine at 50 yards in thick sagebrush. Probably would not have been able to make the quick shot on the move in that brush with a heavy bolt gun.

I just picked up a 45-70 government lever gun as a dedicated subsonic thumper. The suppressor is in the works as we speak.

I plan on using it with heavy lead (400-500 grain hard cast) and jacketed projectiles in teh same weight range.

JeffVN

No concerns with those lead 45/70 leading up your suppressor? Will it be a sealed can?

One of my favorites is a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag. It loves both lead and jacketed bullets, and is as much fun to shoot as my ARs. No action puts a smile on an old cowboy at heart faster than a lever gun. Regards

Its for my dad, he loves cowboy stuff. Its not for me. I wanted a .44 Mag for him since its a large caliber and he can trade bullets out of his pistol and interchangeably use them. It wont be for precision shooting, just a fun all around shoot shit and have a good time gun. Maybe use it for big game at close ranges later

Dont know about the henry. Not impressed with the recent Marlington quality. My favorite 44 is the ruger 77/44. Gunblast has a good review on youtube and his website.

You might try the Rossi 1892. Good gun, they can be slicked up by the knowledgeable. If you can find them, you can shoot 44 Special when you don't want to run the magnum loads. Can't beat John Browning's design. If it was good enough for John Wayne, should be good enough for your Dad !
grin.gif

Model 1873

I don't know how much you want to spend, but these are great. I like old cowboy guns and this is one of my favorites.

My Marlin 45-70 is a pre-remington production, so I have complete confidence in it.

As far as I know it going to be sealed. Nope I do not have any concerns about leading. The can is custom built specifically for this project (but has capacity to accommodate full-house hunting box ammo if I were to go that route also). If it turns out I'm wrong, then I get to "chat" with the designer and builder of the can.
smile.gif

Jeffvn

Jeff-

If you manage to gunk up that suppressor with enough lead then this is the stuff:

Slip2000 "Carbon Killer"

My dad's 22 suppressor was lead fouled shut, after a broken spanner wrench pin he gave up and just shot it more. A couple thousand rounds of cheap 22's later we dropped it in a can of this stuff for about an hour. The can disassembled with fingers then.

lever guns are very ole west like, I love a good old lever gun. The thing is you have to have a cowboy name established before you can truly be a badass with one. My gunslinging name is "Doc Holigay"

When it comes to just pure fun, its hard to beat a Lever action. I have a Marlin 38/357. Accurate and cheap to shoot. Casting and shooting lead bullets puts the price of shooting pretty close to 22s.

Want to have some real fun, shoot the lever in 38 with a revolver in a multi gun match.

Check out Puma rifles from Legacy Sports International. I have one in .357 with the heavy octagonal barrel and it shoots great. Very nice color case hardened finish and excellent fit and finish all around.

Shot my uncle's Henry in .357 Magnum loaded with .38s and all I can say is I want one. I was quite amazed at how smooth and easy it was to operate. The action cycled as easily as a .22 lever action. Don't know about accuracy and it was fairly heavy but low recoil and fun to shoot.

I was thinking about a Henry a while back, but most folks I talked to steered me away on the basis of poor accuracy. That's all hearsay, of course. The only one I've ever fired was a 22 Mag and I didn't shoot it long enough to get a feel for its accuracy. They are sure pretty and I understand the receiver is plenty strong.