• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Liberty Gun Safe Help needed

cjherrman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2003
Basehor, KS
I have found this forum to always be informative and helpful. I didn't know if this would be something that someone could answer or not. I have a Liberty Colonial 30 Safe, I have recently moved it. When I set it up in my new place and put the handle back on the "Slip-Cluth" is not working properly. It will not slip I haven't put a lot of pressure on the handles in fear of ruining something but I can tell that there is something definitely wrong with the slip feature.

Now to clarify when I moved the safe it was never jolted and never received any hard impacts. It was however placed on its back during transport. I don't know if placing it on the back some how vibrated something loose?

I called Liberty and they directed me to a locksmith. I rarely comment on the lack of customer service from a company but I was disappointed with the lack of help that I received from them. I am going to try and call them tomorrow to see if I can get more answers. The individual that I spoke with didn't know what the slip clutch was which was disapointing considerg this is one of there selling points I figured any employee shouldbe able to understand.

I honestly predict that I will probably have to pay a locksmith to come out which is disappointing. I got an initial estimate of $150 to $300 don't know if this seems fair? The safe seems to lock up fine but I am very concerned with any failing mechanism on the safe. Has anyone had any similar experience? Has anyone here had any dealings with customer service? I am very particular with opening and closing of the safe and never spin the dial hard or put any unnecisarry force on the handles. I forgot to mention when I did remove the handle I taped the "spindle" so it wouldn't shift as per the directions before and during the move. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Liberty Gun Safe Help needed

Putting it on it's back shouldn't do any damage. I would try calling back Liberty and seeing if there's a supervisor or someone that has 1/2 a clue.

Where did you purchase it?

It was my understanding that Liberty safes were under warranty and they would pay for shipping to and from HQ to repair. Of course, I didn't end up buying Liberty, so I can't be sure.

As said above, call Liberty again and talk to someone in "technical support". If they can't help, look up Liberty in Garland, TX on Forest Ln. Those guys are knowledgeable and talked me through a jammed lock problem over the phone.

If you can't find the number, PM me and I'll get it for you.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pvtsnowball82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was my understanding that Liberty safes were under warranty and they would pay for shipping to and from HQ to repair. Of course, I didn't end up buying Liberty, so I can't be sure. </div></div>

?????

Give them a call. I bet it's "not the first time". Let us know what you find. Thanks.

So yeah, check out their warranty online. If it's broke, it says they'll fix it at no cost to you.

If I'm reading their website correctly, the slip feature only slips if someone is trying to force the handle, to take any undue pressure off the inner workings. It otherwise does not slip at all during normal operation. It should be turning normally to open and close the mechanism if the comination has been entered, never actually slipping. If it is not turning "normally" after the combination has been entered, some lockwork in there must have fallen out of place. If the safe is unlocked, I'de just unscrew the back of the door off and look and see what you can see. Probably something obvious. I'de do that before paying.

Of the three safes we have in the family; two are Liberty's. Someone from the factory should be able to talk you through if it's a quick fix. If it's a warranty issue you should be taken care of and if it's outside that, they'll recommend a company in your area familiar with their products.

I know what you mean about their customer service (long story).

Careful if you take the cover off. If you run the screws that hold the backing on to far in, it will jam the locking mech (hint long story).

As far as the slip clutch goes it's nothing more than a collar that has a bolt that runs on the side. Tighten the bolt tighten the tension on the shaft.