• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Liberty Optics Still Legit?

Interesting how he selected some people and complete their orders regardless of time frame.

Wonder if the authorities contacted the web host to put up the web site so they can review it?

Reactions: lash
Maybe Shamus can explain how he is able to sell them hundreds of dollars below dealer cost. They knew Scott was violating pricing agreements, everyone did, as every dealer out there for every brand complained about him at some point.

But selling them under dealer cost? That's what I don't understand. @Shamus Terry , can you explain that to a Vortex dealer in good standing?
Order more of em obviously.

Interesting how he selected some people and complete their orders regardless of time frame.

Wonder if the authorities contacted the web host to put up the web site so they can review it?

Shit doesn’t happen that fast. I would be surprised if the complaints with the state have gone beyond being reviewed yet, if they’ve even been reviewed. They have to be assigned, then investigated and then get a court order for access. It’s weeks minimum if they’re not backlogged and an investigation moves quickly.

Reactions: rijndael
Guess I'm late to the game here. I'm pretty sure there were other Hide members who knew Scott personally, has anyone tried to reach out for an explanation? Is it possible Scott could have gotten really sick or worse? Sorry if these questions were answered already...

Maybe Shamus can explain how he is able to sell them hundreds of dollars below dealer cost. They knew Scott was violating pricing agreements, everyone did, as every dealer out there for every brand complained about him at some point.

But selling them under dealer cost? That's what I don't understand. @Shamus Terry , can you explain that to a Vortex dealer in good standing?
I mean, are you going to share the terms of your deal with MPA. Because it feels a little odd to me picking at that issue when you've had a few of your own over the years.

This is an easy one. When you’re stealing people’s money it doesn’t matter what dealer cost is, it’s pure profit!

Guess I'm late to the game here. I'm pretty sure there were other Hide members who knew Scott personally, has anyone tried to reach out for an explanation? Is it possible Scott could have gotten really sick or worse? Sorry if these questions were answered already...

Multiple people have tried to reach him on his personal cell with no response.

Maybe take your bullshit somewhere else. Stop fucking up this thread with dumb low IQ statements that no business is going to devolve .

Shamus is a Busy Man, and is going out of his way to help people who have been effected. Stop wasting his and everyone else's times with irreverent shit. If you have a business relationship, call them and ask. Trying to publicly call out someone who has been going way above and beyond what most people would do, makes you look like a fucking piece of shit.

Maybe take your bullshit somewhere else. Stop fucking up this thread with dumb low IQ statements that no business is going to devolve .

Shamus is a Busy Man, and is going out of his way to help people who have been effected. Stop wasting his and everyone else's times with irreverent shit. If you have a business relationship, call them and ask. Trying to publicly call out someone who has been going way above and beyond what most people would do, makes you look like a fucking piece of shit.
I was going to correct you and say "irrelevant", but maybe that's not what you meant......

Multiple people have tried to reach him on his personal cell with no response.
Pretty sure he has a family, doesn't seem like the kind of guy to skip town which leads me to fear it could be something tragic more than something nefarious. Bad situation either way for those who've sent money but received no product.

$1900 was the lowest I heard of. Euro had a deal for first responders and such for about what you’re saying, though.

The LE/mil/vet/first responder memorial day sale price at Euro Optic was slightly less than that. The price at expert voice around the same time was slightly more.

Scott's July 4th sale price was slightly higher than Euro Optic and slightly lower than expert voice, but no sales tax and it was open to everyone, but he stated long backorder times. I'm not surprised he got a lot of bites at that price with no credentials needed for purchase. Expert Voice was out of stock, and they charge sales tax and shipping. Euro Optic had them in stock with free shipping but they charge tax.

Scott's sale price was in the ballpark of the other 2 vendors at the time during the memorial day and July 4th sales and wasn't so low to raise a red flag with me (they were all within a 5% window.) Over 20 years and $75k+ of purchases with Scott he's given me some crazy good deals, he wasn't so low on his July 4th pricing that it raised scam flags with me.

Looking back, I should have paid the 8.5% sales tax and bought from Euro Optic... They had them in stock and I would have had them in 2 or 3 days. Trying to save that 8.5% in tax might end up costing me $3800 if I don't get a chargeback.

Received from Chase today after calling yesterday:
0749933A-7E48-4B2A-91EB-FF506F6D7A05.jpeg

This just gave me Dean Michaelis flashbacks....
I remember Dean and Biggerhammer. It still upsets me how that went, much like the Theis debacle/betrayal. I am at a loss of how people can be like that. I remember some personal stuff happened to Dean and then he just went off the deep end.

I will say that Vortex will be getting some business from me for helping you guys out! What a class act!

I wonder how this shit storm is going to affect those trying to sell shit in the PX?
Can't say how it'll affect anyone else, but after all this, I am hesitant on putting down pre-order money on the Ingenuity Precision powder meter. Will also scrutinize, even more so than I already did, any start ups and small businesses.

I remember Dean and Biggerhammer. It still upsets me how that went, much like the Theis debacle/betrayal. I am at a loss of how people can be like that. I remember some personal stuff happened to Dean and then he just went off the deep end.

I will say that Vortex will be getting some business from me for helping you guys out! What a class act!
The Theis situation is what came to mind for me too, but with Theis it certainly felt like it was the "long con" from the beginning, but with Scott, offering well over a decade of legit business with nothing but stellar experiences does not feel like "long con" to me; however, in lieu of the stages involved and the closure of the LLC etc. it seems like something has happened. At this time nobody knows what has happened or why, so I agree that the best course of action would be to try to get your credit card company involved for refunds.

Can't say how it'll affect anyone else, but after all this, I am hesitant on putting down pre-order money on the Ingenuity Precision powder meter. Will also scrutinize, even more so than I already did, any start ups and small businesses.
Understandable, I just did. It was $140.00, so an order of magnitude less than anything with LO.

Reactions: lash
What vortex is doing right now is worthy of a business school case study. Not just saying that because I enjoy most of their products. It’s been masterful business
I was in the Entertainment Production business for a long time, in live sound and in new facility planning and install. We were doing a high end restaurant in Las Vegas that wanted to have dance nights after closing the kitchen and they didn't want some big speaker systems taking up room on the floor, just wanted to be able to use the installed system, so that's what we designed. I spec'd Tannoy Dual Concentric 8" speakers in the ceiling and subs in the baseboard/soffits, and these were not cheap and came direct from Canada, (at the time). The ceiling speakers arrived via Fed Ex because of course it was a red-hot emergency to get the space open ASAP, and our mail room handled FedEx, wereas our loading dock/warehouse did UPS and whatever other LTL shipments, so the Fed Ex driver shows up with a pallet of speakers on a pallet jack he borrowed from our warehouse guys, tells the gal in the mail room he's got more and will be right back, sign here. So she signed for two pallets and the driver took off with the second batch of speakers. Fucker.

I call my contact at Tannoy and he got right on it and sent out replacements no charge, because he "didn't want to see the project die". Guess what? I never spec'd another brand after that. It seems Vortex understands this. I already have 5 Vortex scopes and several reddots, and they'll continue to get my business.

Pretty sure he has a family, doesn't seem like the kind of guy to skip town which leads me to fear it could be something tragic more than something nefarious. Bad situation either way for those who've sent money but received no product.

I remember when the JAE thing went down, customers were put in a kind of similar situation. That one was related to health issues of one of the owners, and the business was rapidly closed.

As much as I would like to give Scott the benefit of the doubt (tragic things happen to people all the time), there's a lot of evidence out now to suggest that this isn't some tragic incident that's befallen Scott.

I think if it was a simple case of a tragic incident, the signs would be different. I don't think his LLC would be dissolved immediately after loss of comms, or months of customer money unaccounted for.

Anyways, I'm not going to speculate any further. I just hope everyone here gets made whole.

1697730806897.png

Was gonna send another inquiry around Oct 20-30th, but here we are.

SMFH

If I worked for Vortex you'd be blacklisted immediately

Brother that’s not a fair question. Everyone makes deals that no one else should be privy to

The bottom line is Liberty Optics took money for items from retail customer. Liberty optics in turn did not fulfill the orders or provide refunds. Liberty Optics then closed shop turned off website and phone without explanation. In my LE World we call that Consciousness of Guilt.

His deal with Vortex has no bearing except he did not pay them so they did not ship
Yeah, ummm…….Vortex did no wrong here. And, it appears they’re not only doing things right, but are going well beyond that.

The Theis situation is what came to mind for me too, but with Theis it certainly felt like it was the "long con" from the beginning, but with Scott, offering well over a decade of legit business with nothing but stellar experiences does not feel like "long con" to me; however, in lieu of the stages involved and the closure of the LLC etc. it seems like something has happened. At this time nobody knows what has happened or why, so I agree that the best course of action would be to try to get your credit card company involved for refunds.

Yet, the “long con” paid every bill and refunded every dollar.

Scott takes money and runs …still gets the benefit of the doubt

…makes sense to me…

I spoke with Shamus Terry and he gave me a crystal clear understanding of what happened. No different pricing structures, just shady people.

I feel bad for anyone that got bit by this, but it looks like Vortex is going above and beyond to stand by the community.
Thank god we have your take on the situation. Now everyone can relax.

For those into FAL rifles, Moses over at falfiles did something really similar several years ago. He had developed a great reputation as a fal gunsmith over many years, and then spent a lot of time and money to create a polymer fal mag that actually worked.

Then, after receiving a lot of money for the Moses Mags, he suddenly dropped off of the face of the earth. Lots of people paid for his mags and never received their money back or the mags. So many people did charge backs with their credit cards that none of the credit card companies would work with his business/website again. The whole thing was very strange, but it happened.

Wouldn't be the first time someone took R&D money and found out the hard way, it don't work, and rode off to sunset. That money was an investment in an idea with a potential payoff. No different than kickstarter that fizzles out.

Not the same situation. This is a clear ponzi scheme or strait up theft. We will find out in time.

Reactions: Charmingmander
Did some sleuthing and managed to get in contact with his neighbor, said he has no idea who Scott is and the place is a rental.

Tried locating Scott and his wife on social media to no avail. Has anyone been in contact with local authorities? Wonder if they could do a “wellness check” of sorts…

Did some sleuthing and managed to get in contact with his neighbor, said he has no idea who Scott is and the place is a rental.

Tried locating Scott and his wife on social media to no avail. Has anyone been in contact with local authorities? Wonder if they could do a “wellness check” of sorts…
Nobody here needs to be doing any of that. Contact Vortex, file a chargeback with the CC company, file a business complaint with the state of Montana consumer agency. Let them do the searching and sleuthing, as zero good will come from anyone else going at it on their own.

Keep business as business.

Wouldn't be the first time someone took R&D money and found out the hard way, it don't work, and rode off to sunset. That money was an investment in an idea with a potential payoff. No different than kickstarter that fizzles out.

Not the same situation. This is a clear ponzi scheme or strait up theft. We will find out in time.
The product did, in fact, work. DS Arms bought his technical data and unfinished mags from him and then later sold them on their site. Lots of beta testers who all reported it worked extremely well, along with a lot of people who paid for the finished product and loved it.

This is getting off track, so I will just say what ultimately solved the issue - and what makes it relevant to this thread - was dozens of people filing chargebacks with their credit card companies. Investigations were done, and the credit card companies blacklisted his site and business. That ultimately solved the problem from happening again, which is probably what will take place here unless something dramatically different takes place.

Reactions: stefan73
Nobody here needs to be doing any of that. Contact Vortex, file a chargeback with the CC company, file a business complaint with the state of Montana consumer agency. Let them do the searching and sleuthing, as zero good will come from anyone else going at it on their own.

Keep business as business.
Fair enough. I just hate sitting idly by and waiting when someone has stolen from me. May have jumped the gun.

Just looking for answers.

Reactions: Redmanss
Yet, the “long con” paid every bill and refunded every dollar.

Scott takes money and runs …still gets the benefit of the doubt

…makes sense to me…

I think some people are in denial much like with the Theis stuff and especially for me the Dean stuff. Probably the "how did I miss it" and the "I trusted this guy" along with the "he always took care of me, and he was always a class act to me" also plays a little heavy on the heart when that belief is betrayed.

I think a lot of us are trusting, generally good people and we expect that everyone else would be also or at least the gross majority (which the majority are and that is how one asshole ruins it for everybody).

Either way it is tragic that someone would prey on good people. They deserve what they get.

Reactions: jwp475 and brianf
That money was an investment in an idea with a potential payoff. No different than kickstarter that fizzles out.

I used to sign up for a few kickstarter and indigogo things, I found out the success rate was about 50% and usually no refunds, so it simply wasn't worth it for the most part except for some very low risk items like books from well known writers.