• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Lieca calonox ?????

Crosswind

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2017
Has any one seen a video with more info on this thermal ? I'm very interested in it and the price.

I would be surprised if Leica were to put out total shit. Then again, I am surprised that they named a product after a bowel irrigation process.

anyone get their hands on these yet? or know anything about them?

looks like they're available in the UK but I don't see anything in the US

anyone get their hands on these yet? or know anything about them?

looks like they're available in the UK but I don't see anything in the US
Nope, not even any adapters just ( adapter recommendations code ) sheet on leica site.

Curious if it will be rail mounted or attach directly to the scopes objective bell. If the later, seems like the new Pulsar Krypton FXG50 has much better specs but would want to see real world evaluation.

EuroOptic has them listed but no stock yet. Price looks promising at $4k.
Thanks just checked that out. I’ll have to keep an eye out for stocking and mounting options of different objective diameters

Whoa, 640x480 sensor and 1024x768 display, that is extremely impressive, now I'm getting excited...

Looks promising but it appears the battery is non removable with a 6hr run time.

@jb1000br, any timeline on stocking? or anything else you could shed light on? they look pretty cool but not a lot out on em

Been waiting on one of these, they look great for the price...problem is I am seeing conflicting specs for the same model on the web. At 640x480 it seems too good to be true especially for a German optic company.

Straight from Leica:
Due to the fixed construction of the complete system, the Calonox "Sight" is consistently accurate. The horizontal field of view from 15.5 to 100 meters provides a great overview, while the 384x288 pixel sensor in combination with the high-resolution OLED display and Leica's own image processing (Leica Image Optimization - LIO™) ensures a detailed image. High-quality adapters for mounting on a riflescope are available for all common lens sizes.

Womp womp... that would be a deal killer for me. Especially if 6hr is actually 3hrs when it’s cold outside.
I suppose it makes sense given the size of the unit, I am guessing (hoping) they made a way for someone to connect a standard battery pack via micro usb or something like that. Would have definitely preferred replaceable battery, but not a deal breaker for me if you can connect an additional power source.

Been waiting on one of these, they look great for the price...problem is I am seeing conflicting specs for the same model on the web. At 640x480 it seems too good to be true especially for a German optic company.

Straight from Leica:
That seems much more realistic M4, it wouldn't be the first time EO had the wrong specs on their site, but hoping EO is right ;)

According to leica, Calonox View is 640x512 and Calonox Sight is 384x288

Reactions: Glassaholic
So they have two, interesting. Well if Calonox View truly comes in at the price shown on EO, this could be one of the best at the price point. I'm still learning about Thermal, but what other units have anything close to these specs as a clip on. Only the brand new Pulsar Krypton FXG50 has anything close (that I know of), listed as "640x480 12µm thermal sensor, image boost mode and a HD 1746x1000 frost-resistant AMOLED display", early reviews show this unit to be very promising but it's not available yet in the USA and no ETA on when it will be. Was thinking it would be more than $4k but maybe the Leica will put some pressure on pricing.

It looks like the view will not be clip on able.

Remember, and Wigwamitus has made this point a lot, that especially when you are talking about a clip on, front sensor pixels can be much less important than rear display. Since it isn't a pass through system, a 320 front sensor with better software extrapolation and better display can be a better performer than a 640. It is unlikely to be that way, but there is nothing that prohibits it. It isn't like a rifle scope where better front glass is always going to be better because the image passes through.

It looks like the view will not be clip on able.

Remember, and Wigwamitus has made this point a lot, that especially when you are talking about a clip on, front sensor pixels can be much less important than rear display. Since it isn't a pass through system, a 320 front sensor with better software extrapolation and better display can be a better performer than a 640. It is unlikely to be that way, but there is nothing that prohibits it. It isn't like a rifle scope where better front glass is always going to be better because the image passes through.
I tried to read Wigwamitus' 1000 page thread but my brain started leaking out my ears and I had to stop. :D That does make sense with a clip on though, it sits in front of your day scope and your day scope is magnifying the rear display, so having a "better" rear display means a potentially better image through the day scope.

So when you say the "View" will NOT be clip on able, does that mean it's designed as a hand held unit only? And if that's the case then the "Sight" is the clip on version with "lessor" specs. I'm not as excited anymore :( But I guess we need to wait and see what real world applications look like, but right now the Pulsar FXG50 and Leica Sight are on my short list.

I suppose it makes sense given the size of the unit, I am guessing (hoping) they made a way for someone to connect a standard battery pack via micro usb or something like that. Would have definitely preferred replaceable battery, but not a deal breaker for me if you can connect an additional power source.

I love external batteries when mounted on a rifle. But have a hard time seeing how it would all work out with a nice trim handheld unit.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Just found the "Sight" on EO - https://www.eurooptic.com/Leica-Calonox-Sight-Thermal-Riflescope-Attachment-50500.aspx

It appears their information is wrong as the Leica site clearly shows the Sight with the smaller sensor, I hope Choid is right and that somehow Leica realized the sensor could be smaller and still perform at the same level as a clip on.

Will be looking for Leica Calonox Sight vs. Pulsar Krypton FXG50 comparisons

I had a quick look the other day...

2020-12-11 09.55.05-1.jpg

Will be looking for Leica Calonox Sight vs. Pulsar Krypton FXG50 comparisons

Will be a while before I can do it, I'll probably get the Leica end of January. Looking at specs and talking to people who had them side-by-side the Krypton will be better, but I liked what I saw in the quick view I had.

Here's a video I did with the Krypton from Pulsar yesterday. +7C and it's been raining and overcast for a few days. Filmed during day time, but there's no direct sunlight anywhere for days.

Note: Pulsar Krypton below, not Leica.

2020-12-16 22.41.19.jpg

Reactions: crimson25
According to Leica, Calonox View is 640x512 and Calonox Sight is 384x288

Correct, and I think a lot of people think they're the same.

And the Pulsar Krypton is 640x480 pix. @ 12 µm BAE Systems sensor (which would be competing with the Calonox Sight).

To my knowledge, the Leica Sight has about the same price as the Krypton, but lower specs. The View is more expensive.

I had the Krypton and Trail 2 XP50 LRF (640x480 pix. @ 17 µm) side-by-side for two days, and although it isn't easy to make a fair comparison I'd say that the Krypton is the winner in image quality and picking up those fine details.
However it lacks a few functions like multi-color etc. but I guess most run white hot anyway. I'd say the sensor in the Krypton is the best Pulsar have atm.

Some more things you can find in the specs:

HD AMOLED screen + BAE Sensor on the Krypton.
LCOS screen + China Sensor on the Leica.

Good or bad, who knows, but the Leica lacks the different algorithms that Pulsar have; rock, forest, boost etc.

The Leica probably competes more with Pulsar Core (which I think is out of production now), but they priced it on the same level as the Krypton.
Zeiss did the same thing, but both they and Leica have a good brand name to live off. I'd guess a lot of their customers have never heard of Pulsar? Good thing is a lot more are going to start using thermals, as Zeiss, Blaser/Liemke and Leica etc are going to attreact new customer groups.

Having said that, I liked what I saw in the Leica View and I like the product design and branding. I only had it for a minute or so and I don't know how it was set, but the image was very white like the Zeiss DTI. Only three buttons, so easy to use.

Another thing, as you can see in the image above the Leica Sight can be attached to "driven hunt" scopes, not sure if 30 or 34 mm is the lowest. This the Krypton can't, I think 40 mm is the smallest.

However I think you need a fairly high mount for it to work, so may not be ideal for shooting. None of them attaches to a Picatinny, which would have been nice for us. But the majority of their customers probably don't even know what a Picatinny rail is.

Last edited:
Another thing, as you can see in the image above the Leica Sight can be attached to "driven hunt" scopes, not sure if 30 or 34 mm is the lowest. This the Krypton can't, I think 40 mm is the smallest.
Can you explain the above a little more? What do you mean by "driven hunt" scopes?

With the specs of the Leica "Sight" coming in at around half that (sensor and screen) of the Leica "View", did you get a chance to look through both? I'm guessing that alone puts the Leica Sight at a deficit compared to the Krypton FXG50 for clip on use.

Help school me on Thermal, does the fact that the Krypton has a 50mm objective mean anything compared to the Leica's smaller objective? I understand this has an effect of "light gathering" with a day scope but since thermal is not dependent on light gathering, curious what effect objective size does have if any?

Can you explain the above a little more? What do you mean by "driven hunt" scopes?

With the specs of the Leica "Sight" coming in at around half that (sensor and screen) of the Leica "View", did you get a chance to look through both? I'm guessing that alone puts the Leica Sight at a deficit compared to the Krypton FXG50 for clip on use.

Sorry, I mean LVPO optics like 1-6 or 1-8x. But since they are quite close to the rifle I think you need a mount that is much higher. I've seen it in some Leica videos as well, and the mount looks high. ATN seems to build ther upcoming device on the width, probably due to this?

I did have a look into the Leica Sight, but there was little or no heat so looks shit regardless. I did not know about the technical specs then and holding a scope + thermal is not ideal = too heavy.

I'm sure someone else than me can fill in on your other questions, sorry.

Sorry, I mean LVPO optics like 1-6 or 1-8x. But since they are quite close to the rifle I think you need a mount that is much higher. I've seen it in some Leica videos as well, and the mount looks high. ATN seems to build ther upcoming device on the width, probably due to this?

I did have a look into the Leica Sight, but there was little or no heat so looks shit regardless. I did not know about the technical specs then and holding a scope + thermal is not ideal = too heavy.

I'm sure someone else than me can fill in on your other questions, sorry.
Thank you for clarifying NVV, that helps.

I had another look today.

The Leica View is REALLY good! A little better than the the brand new Pulsar Helion 2 even, which I had side-by-side.

But frankly the price difference between them isn't justified. About 1,5-1,6 price factor. I'm all in for high quality but you can get an Axion XQ38 for the difference and the image quality isn't that different.

The Target has a smaller sensor but is good as well, but not as good as the Krypton (which is the same price).

I had another look today.

The Leica View is REALLY good! A little better than the the brand new Pulsar Helion 2 even, which I had side-by-side.

But frankly the price difference between them isn't justified. About 1,5-1,6 price factor. I'm all in for high quality but you can get an Axion XQ38 for the difference and the image quality isn't that different.

The Target has a smaller sensor but is good as well, but not as good as the Krypton (which is the same price).

I have a 50% off Leica cert. Would you think the Calonox Sight at 2 grand is worth picking up?

Will be a while before I can do it, I'll probably get the Leica end of January. Looking at specs and talking to people who had them side-by-side the Krypton will be better, but I liked what I saw in the quick view I had.

Here's a video I did with the Krypton from Pulsar yesterday. +7C and it's been raining and overcast for a few days. Filmed during day time, but there's no direct sunlight anywhere for days.

Note: Pulsar Krypton below, not Leica.

View attachment 7503998

How far was that deer?