• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Life at age 11

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
Was it like this for you?

037va.jpg

Re: Life at age 11

Heck no, my parents wouldn't even let me shoot a .22 rifle. If it wasn't for gpa I would have never even fired a rifle.

Good on you!

Shit no....

Somewhere around here there's an old picture (the paper kind that came from actual film, black and white) of me and my first deer at age 11. An old doe hanging in the apple tree and me posing with a singleshot 20 gauge shotgun. Ratty bluejeans and some sort of old coat, IIRC. I remember some pretty hard times in the 70's.

I do however, now, have three photobucket accounts and a youtube chock full of stuff my kids do...none of which even come close to what I had at that age. Here's one of my boys, last summer, age 11. Lucky little shit, on many levels...

0423111409a95273120.jpg

I was that 7 year old kid dragging a rabbit up the road by his ears carrying a 37A in .410 and following a Beagle. Neighbors would tell Mom "I would give him a ride if he could have caught his dog"

That's awesome start them young. All I had were girls and they lost interest soon after becoming teenagers , But I dod get to talk guns and hunting with some of the boyfriends.

No, I asked my Dad for a BB gun and he said no because kids did not respect them, but what he would do was buy me a Remington 22 cal repeater along with training/lots of ammo. Great pictures! Regards

These pictures all look great, and whatnot. Except for one thing people. EYE PROTECTION. C'mon, it isn't all that much.

But let me ask you this: how would you feel to look at your child, and see them smiling back at you with one glass eye?

Yes, it's a great (read: Fantastic) thing to start 'em young. But it's even a better thing to start 'em RIGHT!!!!

Give them eye protection from the start, and then it will just be 'normal' to be wearing such. You won't know if/when your rifle/handgun will explode. I wasn't expecting my .22 to explode (due to faulty ammunition) and if it weren't for my sunglasses I'd be blind today.

It don't happen often, but when it does.....

Start 'em young, the Right way.

[tirade off]

20-Evolution_Final_72-red-589-url.jpg

Starting when he was 2, I got my son hunting and fishing that most kids could only dream about. I let him steer the Jeep while I operated the pedals.

Now my son is 25, a software engineer, lives in an apartment and does not own a car nor a gun nor a fishing pole.

He just wants to play video games and schlep with his liberal girl friend.

Yes, my daddy owned an M-2 carbine. He was the commander of the local national guard unit. Once a year they had to go to Ft. Gordon, GA to qualify with their weapons. He'd always bring back 4 or 5 tins of .30 cal. ammo for me to go out and spray up the fields after they had been plowed and then crusted over.

Felt like freakin John Wayne.

I am now the proud owner of said M-2.

My dad hated guns, he fought the Italian and Germans in Greece, never wanted to pick up another one again, when he did it he was 12, this is my daughter and I, she is 8, now she is starting to shoot my AR

100_3294.jpg

100_3295.jpg

229475_208013622563776_100000654196042_618190_1679856_n.jpg

Yes. but without the tactical look in dress . My brothers & I were trained to live off what little was given us to work with real young . from 8 years old up to we were about to 15 .
several times a year. My father would toss one of his old Mil tents out in the coast range . give one rifle/ammo, small provision of food & other basics survival goods .
Dump us off & before driving away tell us . ..." I will be back in one week . Be Here ."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Baby of the bunch is 5, here she is when it rains outside! </div></div>
My family has been shooting out the window for 80 years.

We need some liberal pansies to see this thread.

In SHTF, roast liberal will be on the menu.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. but without the tactical look in dress . My brothers & I were trained to live off what little was given us to work with real young . from 8 years old up to we were about to 15 .
several times a year. <span style="font-weight: bold">My father would toss one of his old Mil tents out in the coast range . give one rifle/ammo, small provision of food & other basics survival goods .
Dump us off & before driving away tell us . ..." I will be back in one week . Be Here ."</span>
.</div></div>

Sheesh.

caution-this-is-sparta1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need some liberal pansies to see this thread.
In SHTF, roast liberal will be on the menu. </div></div>
Pamela-Anderson_17.jpg

I saw the Pamela Anderson roast. She has implants.

I seem to recall, when I was 11, I would collect deposit beer and soda bottles, cash them in to buy 22 ammo. Mom complained about my jeans pockets getting black, from the lead rubbing off on the loose rounds. OMG, lead exposure! That explains the condition of my brain cells, I guess....Just crazy, not stupid, mom.

I must have been really screwed up, and probably still am!!!

After I got my 30-30, if the cartridiges started getting dingy, I'd Brasso them.

(The love for Brasso came in handy a few years down the road)

guess I was lucky as a kid, with a WHOLE family in LE, my dad was a "gun nut", etc... by 11yo I'd been shooting centerfire w/ them for years, and was on a shooting team for my uncle's dept, that he coached, I'd started for the team w/ air rifle at 9yo, went to smallbore at 10yo....

now my daughter is 11yo this year and has her own 22s (one rifle, one pistol) and she gets to shoot them w/ suppressors.

come to think of it, that's kinda a tradition too... I was around that age when I first got to shoot anything w/ a happy switch.

my ol'man was kick-in the ass . He taught me to shoot as soon as I could walk & gave me my 1st .22 when I was 4-years old .
Was just the way he was raised . he was youngest of ten kids on the farm. hell he never even had in-door plumbing till he enlisted . I never thought it was that rough, just the norm. getting raised in his house . I remember the ol'man used to flip the keys to the truck when I was 13 . For me to drive my little brother up to the wilson river for swimming & fishing in the summer . was only a 2-hour round trip drive . He would flip me the keys & say. .." if you get caught you stole it."

My first centerfire was an old winchester 32wcf saddlegun. Shot my first deer with it when I was 10yrs. I still have that old gun though its hard to find shells around here.

My son at age 8 with a full auto carbine, my dad started me when I was young but I was forty before I got to flip a happy switch. He was one of about 30 kids between ages 8 and 16 who got to fire the local PD's weapon. This was during a .22 rimfire shoot my Ministry sponsored with the local Department and Wildlife Officers to promote our sport. We are looking foward to the next scheduled May of 2012!!
20q1ba9.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reeljob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son at age 8 with a full auto carbine, my dad started me when I was young but I was forty before I got to flip a happy switch. He was one of about 30 kids between ages 8 and 16 who got to fire the local PD's weapon. This was during a .22 rimfire shoot my Ministry sponsored with the local Department and Wildlife Officers to promote our sport. We are looking foward to the next scheduled May of 2012!!
20q1ba9.jpg
</div></div>
What's all that green crap all over the ground?????

Well, at age 12 I went out and bought my *own* box of .22 shells for the very first time.

This was after GCA '68. Small town near where my parents grew up, visiting for the summer.

Shot first full-auto (American Arms 180) at age 16.

All of my kids shot the High Standard .22 pistol when I had to help them hold it up.

Great pics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reeljob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son at age 8 with a full auto carbine, my dad started me when I was young but I was forty before I got to flip a happy switch. He was one of about 30 kids between ages 8 and 16 who got to fire the local PD's weapon. This was during a .22 rimfire shoot my Ministry sponsored with the local Department and Wildlife Officers to promote our sport. We are looking foward to the next scheduled May of 2012!!
20q1ba9.jpg
</div></div>
What's all that green crap all over the ground?????

Well, at age 12 I went out and bought my *own* box of .22 shells for the very first time.

This was after GCA '68. Small town near where my parents grew up, visiting for the summer.

Shot first full-auto (American Arms 180) at age 16.

All of my kids shot the High Standard .22 pistol when I had to help them hold it up.

Great pics! </div></div>

Range was mowed the day before, dead grass clumps is what I assume you are referring to??? The kids didn't seem to mind what was on the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it like this for you?

037va.jpg
</div></div>

No, but I wish it was. That kids got one hell of a game face.

And no eye protection

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
500grains said:
That kids got one hell of a game face.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
20-Evolution_Final_72-red-589-url.jpg

Starting when he was 2, I got my son hunting and fishing that most kids could only dream about. I let him steer the Jeep while I operated the pedals.

Now my son is 25, a software engineer, lives in an apartment and does not own a car nor a gun nor a fishing pole.

He just wants to play video games and schlep with his liberal girl friend.

</div></div>

Damn funny....and too true

I sure as heck got to shoot a lot when I was a kid. But it was all hunting related. I wasn't shooting M4s.

My Dad started me young but like many of you it was hunting related. I certainly didn't get to shoot in the Mammoth Cave sniper challenge like my 12 year old son did this past weekend with David Walker from Accurate Ordnance.

Here are a couple of pics from the match....

Eyan and David on Thunder Valley Short. This is where Eyan really got into the game...

EyanandDaveonTVShort.jpg

Ringing steel off the swing on the Golf Course Stage...

EyanandDaveonGC.jpg

Eyan and David on the Back Ridge. The little man was able to ring 6 of the 8 targets at 726 yards with 5 of the 6 being first round hits.

EyanandDaveonBR.jpg

Little man kicking back with his spotter...

TeamAOkickingback.jpg

Oneshot

It's great seeing all these young shooters, keep it up and hope to see even more. To have had that kind of opportunity would have been awesome.

Guess I started young too. I was only 3 the first time I shot a gun. It was an SKS. When I was 7 I shot my first MG. A Thompson M1. That's also the same year my older brother passed down his .22 rifle to me. My oldest son has inherited that rifle for his 5th birthday present. He has his eyes on my 10/22 so I believe I will have to be purchasing another for him maybe for his upcoming 6th birthday.

So yeah, it's safe to say I believe in starting them out young. How else are we suppose to pass down the shooting sports to future generations?

Ah, you've seen these before. Need to get new pics.

At 6, trying out Dad's 22:
miles4.jpg

At 8, with his own Cricket:
mil_sht2.jpg

Now he is almost always on the AR. I'll have to get new pics. My Dad only let me shoot muzzleloaders when I was growing up...