• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors life expectancy of modern suppressors?

Re: life expectancy of modern suppressors?

has a lot to do with caliber, barrel length, and how hot you get it repeatably... you need to narrow your question down.

.223 on SBR 10.5" AR for one. and a .308 bolt gun 20" barrel.

I have easily 8K rounds through my SureFire 212 this year alone on a 10.5 LWRC with no issues.I also shoot this suppressor on a host of other weapons and that would attribute to at least 2-3K more rounds this year alone and I have had this same suppressor since 2009. I just talked to a guy last week that he estimated in 5 years put over 100K rounds through his SureFire on a 14.5 M4 and he had no issues other than having to clean the mating surfaces.

My 762K is my 762 suppressor that I shoot the most and on a 24 inch barrel .308 bolt gun and my 18 inch OBR I have roughly a couple thousand rounds through it. That being said at the Larue range day today it is going to be on the line and I am guessing this gun is going to have at least a couple thousand rounds shot through it today. I saw one of our machine gun suppressors that I was told had 50K rounds through it. The unit armory guy just kept checking out the barrel and suppressor for ranges and they kept shooting it. Depending on how much you shoot you can easily get a suppressor today that will last you a lifetime.

That being said suppressors are like cars. If you run them hard and on short barrels a lot you will decrease their life due to heat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has a lot to do with caliber, barrel length, and how hot you get it repeatably... you need to narrow your question down. </div></div>

That's a good response.

Rate of fire and barrel length play a huge part in the service life of a suppressor.

I saw the results of a military trial a while back that very slightly favored AAC over Surefire for the category of durability with ~7% longer lifespan under their very harsh testing protocols. Two days ago I read a post of a guy who according to himself wanted to know how tough his suppressor was and put 500 rounds through his AAC M4-2000 on a 10.5" barrel on full auto twice.

According to him that ruined his M4-2000 and resulted in him having to send it back for repair. His Muzzle brake mount was also basically ruined, and looked like someone took a 1/2" ball end mill and ran it .1" deep into the first baffle of the brake. That was pictured- the suppressor was not.

The brake being 15-5 or 17-4PH SS is made of a very hard, strong material that holds strength even to high temperatures, so that gives you an idea of what the flip side of the coin can look like, when the fire schedule is too rough, on too short of a barrel.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I think the reason that kind of stuff happens so often to AAC products is that the marketing gives people the impression that that is what the product was built for.

</span>

So there you have ~1000 rounds, and the poster above mentioned someone has reached 100,000 rounds. It's pretty obvious it is like his car analogy. One guy can redline it and blow the motor in a few days, and the next guy can drive it to work and back like an average vehicle owner, for 10 years.

some of my cans have 1k rounds on my bolt rifles. My 223 can on the SBR has over 5k rounds and not a problem. Blast baffle still looks new.

Thank you for the responses. That answers my question. I should have specified normal realistic use without abuse tests. I don't purposely tear up my equipment for the hell of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The can will most likely outlast you.... </div></div>

Awesome! that's what I was hoping.

SBRs and high rates of fire are hard on cans. My M42K has a good bit of baffle wear but I run it on a 10.5 inch gun...so it is expected.

If it is poorly made out of Carbon Fiber, life expectancy is ~100 rounds.
mad.gif

I have over 20k through my first generation M4-2000 (serial number under 100). The baffles show some wear, but it still sounds great. 95% of its use has been in full-auto with 10.5, 11.5, and 14.5" barrels.

The can will most likely outlast your barrel.

Are getting it fixed?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">of course....baffle strikes and other dumb moves will alter lifespan..... </div></div>