• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lifting boat with two post car lift: Need design help

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
I want to safely lift my john boat using rotary two post lift. I can lift it fine as I have pads located so weight distribution is 50/50. However I want to have some way of clamping the top of the frame of the trailer to each lifting arm, I think that would make it much safer.

I have friends with machine shops so it something needed to be made it could be done.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P1010042.JPG
    P1010042.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 132
  • P1010198.JPG
    P1010198.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 36
Myself, I would simply suggest a "C" clamp frame made out of box tubing, that has a small hole in the bottom of it to go around the neck/stem of the hoist pad. If the box tubing wraps around the tubing of the boat trailer, then it simply prevents any possibility of 'slippage' from lateral forces. Even though the weight of the boat/trailer combo should be significant.

Better safe than sorry, right?

(a different way to say the same thing above, would be to make removable "question-marks" out of square tubing and the hoist pads. Removable ones)

....edited to say: I entered this at the same time as RJBguns, and he's essentially saying my thoughts as well,,,, with MUCH fewer words. Yeah,,, that.

Last edited:
I must be missing something, it appears you want to lift the boat and trailer? The boat is normally strapped to the trailer so no different to lifting the Porsche in the pics. You would not chain that to the hoist.

I tried the besseys' but they stick out to low beneath the bottom of the pad for me to park a small car under it. Other than that they did work perfectly and were easy, to bad they will not work for this application.

I'll give the racheting straps a shot I have several set around here somewhere.

Quick and dirty would be 4 rachet straps one for each arm. Put them around the trailer frame and the lift arms.

THIS^^^^^^^ I lift oddball stuff all the time with mine using an assortment of nylon straps, ratchet straps, chains, etc etc. Most of the time I use the locking mechanism on the arms of the lift to keep them from moving.