• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Light enough to carry all day...heavy enough to shoot all day

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2013
I'm ready to order my chassis and scope to finish up my build, but some of my decisions are based on weight. Shooting consist of paper and steel out to 600 yards and deer/hogs out to maybe 300 yards. I want to keep the rifle light enough to carry reasonable distances, but at the same time it needs to be heavy enough to take to the range and shoot 100-200 rounds in an afternoon without feeling like I need a shoulder replacement.

My barreled action is a Remington SPS Tactical .308 with a 16.5" barrel that weighs in at 4.8 pounds. I was thinking a goal weight of 12-13 pounds would be good, but I'd really like to hear some opinions on what a good target weight would be for this project.

When I refer to total weight I am talking complete, ready to shoot, with bipod, loaded 5-round mag and TBAC 30PS suppressor.

I have a 24" #5 Shilen contour, fluted btw, in an AICS1.5 with a Viper PST scope. Unloaded mine weighs in at 12.12 lbs. I don't know what my barreled action weighs for comparison to yours, sorry.

Hope this helps a little bit.

I'm ready to order my chassis and scope to finish up my build, but some of my decisions are based on weight. Shooting consist of paper and steel out to 600 yards and deer/hogs out to maybe 300 yards. I want to keep the rifle light enough to carry reasonable distances, but at the same time it needs to be heavy enough to take to the range and shoot 100-200 rounds in an afternoon without feeling like I need a shoulder replacement.

My barreled action is a Remington SPS Tactical .308 with a 16.5" barrel that weighs in at 4.8 pounds. I was thinking a goal weight of 12-13 pounds would be good, but I'd really like to hear some opinions on what a good target weight would be for this project.

When I refer to total weight I am talking complete, ready to shoot, with bipod, loaded 5-round mag and TBAC 30PS suppressor.

There is no right or wrong answer here, only a matter of personal preference. For me, 12 to 13 lbs is still too heavy for a hunting rifle, especially if I will be carrying other gear as well and may be called upon to make offhand or awkward positional shots. My hunting rigs range from 8 to 10 lbs, all in.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "do it all rifle" concept. You usually end up with a rifle that works ok in the field or at the range, but doesn't truly excel at either. My suggestion is build a range rifle for range shooting, and hunting rifle for hunting. Again, just my personal preference.

supratt96 said:
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "do it all rifle" concept. You usually end up with a rifle that works ok in the field or at the range, but doesn't truly excel at either.

Jack of all trades, master of none is 100% true...but all rifles consist of compromise, it just depends on what each individual is willing to compromise on and why for their given purpose.

My personal "do-all" rifle is a 20" 260 Rem (McMillan A5 sporter fill, McGowen Sav light varmint contour, CDI DBM, EGW aluminum base, Burris XTR aluminum rings, Vortex HST 4-16x) that weighs about 10lb with empty 5rd AICS magazine and without bipod. I don't hump it up and down mountains its just fine for a 1/2 hike to and from a stand, and on the range the shorter barrel decreases velocity which increases drop and drift at extended ranges but its still better than a hotly loaded 308. Given my "philosophy of use", I can live with the compromises....not everybody else would be able to.

On a carry all day rifle I'd want it down below 10 lbs. I have a 30-06 set up that is just around 9.0 lbs -- thats with 5 rounds ammo, sling, 4x scope.

My sniping rigs are all over 13 lbs full boat.

Thanks for the insight guys. I've already done my research to select which components I want on this build and made myself a short list. Depending on exactly which chassis/buttstock combo, 10x or 15x scope and aluminum or steel base/rings I go with the total ready to fire weight will range between 12-14.5 pounds. I'm just using the weight to assist in some final decision making.

I would say this rifle will be used 80%-90% at the range, but I would like to use it for hunting at some point also. This will by no means be a sheep hunting rifle getting lugged miles up the side of a mountain, but it may go for a 5-10 mile hike through relatively flat terrain at some point.

The Tactical Intervention Special

This was thought out by Mike Miller and GA precision and is the way that I went with my long gun in 308, mine wears a March 3-24 instead of the Nightforce. Worth a read to help out with a lightweight precision rig that you could hunt with.

simple solution, build one heavy rifle for shooting all day and a light one to hunt with.
I don't see the problem.
cheers.

On the cheap, use a B&C m40 or light tactical stock and have it milled for DBM. Use a DNZ one piece mount (they are about the same weight as one steel 30mm ring) and you should be around 10.5-11 pounds without a bipod attached... maybe a little less as that is what my 20” R700 tactical is.

A little more money but for the same weight range use the new manners light weights, or add about a pound for the standard tactical manners stocks or add another pound for most chassis’s.

Watch what scope you use as some are heavy and can add a pound with ease.

Or better yet use a rifle backpack carrier and forget about the weight all together while having full use of your arms to traverse the terrain or pissing while glassing the adjacent hill with your binos... don’t ask...

Last edited:
14+-+1

11.5lbs

Last edited:
I have a pair of 308s, one is a 53 m70 featherweight, maybe 8#, the other is in the AICS with scope, rings, can, double that.

I run quite a bit. Actually a lot. I often hear runners saying, "these shoes are heavy", "I don't want to carry that on a x mile run". A common response is 'take a dump before you go'.

If 10# has you questioning the recreational ability to hump it for the day…well…change the variables some.

Did it cross any of your minds that told him to build 1 for hunting and 1 for target, that maybe he only has the budget for 1?

For some of us younger gentleman 2 builds with quality components isn't possible, so you have to compromise in certain areas.

My 308 has a 26 in heavy Palma barrel, weights in at 13.6 lbs unloaded and it's a Cadillac to shoot...even with 48 gr of 2000mr under a 185 otm. I'm sure the suppressor will cut some recoil, but I don't run one so not 100% sure. I'm a gym rat so my gun is no problem to hump around. For an average guy might be a little on the heavy side. I would think w a suppressor, 10 lbs would be comfortable weight for carrying on long hauls and shooting a couple hundred rounds. Just my opinion....

Last edited: