• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Light primer strike, Rem AAC 700 SA?

SeaVeyor

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2013
Morehead City, NC
New to me little AAC .300 BO Rem 700 SA. Has a Timney 517-16 trigger replaced by privious owner.
Went to put it on paper today, started with factory Rem 125 and 220 gr loads, 10 shots with cleanings
at 5 rounds did fine. Went to MY loads using CCI #41's (yes I know there hard) 2 for 2 on light strikes (no fire).
Went back to the factor rounds and went 4 for 6 light strikes. Pulled the bolt apart and firing pin looks fine.
Total round count less then 100. Any Ideas would be helpfull. TIA.

Check firing pin protrusion and make sure there are no burs or obstructions in the firing pin hole on the bolt. Those would be the first two things I'd look at.

My brother had exactly the same issue with his newer Rem 700, his being chambered in 308. He replaced firing pin and spring and all good.

some on here have said that an sps type sometimes need a tall sear with the timney triggers really don't know why but seems to work for them.

Try this.

Take one or two of those new once fired factory cases and resize it the way you've been doing with your failing handloads. Gas up with just a primer and chamber, pull the trigger, see what happens.

Might have the die-seating depth on the primer-something-reloading-related-going-on.

If nothing else, just to check that box. Sometimes its easier to find out what it ISNT in order to figure out what's going on.

Good luck.

C.

The problem is most likely in the Timney. Call Timney and explain. They will probably fix you up.

My buddies 700 300BLK wont light off CCI#41's reliably. I think he was 2 for 10. His AR lights off the same load just fine. He wont use 41's anymore. Factory Remington stuff uses 7.5's.

I had the same problem. Timney was very helpful and sent me a U-sear and it fixed the problem. Check the firing pin when cocked to see if it extends past the bolt shroud. If it doesn't that's your problem. Good luck.

As you guys suspected the sear was the fix, great cs from Jeff @ Timney.
Did learn a lesson, while removing the rear pin drift it from right to left
and leave enough to hold the bolt release and spring. Thanks for your help.

Sigh. This problem is so common it really deserves a sticky, as there's a new thread every week identical to this and no one uses the search function ( because they're mostly new and don't know about it, so no sweat to the OP, you did nothing wrong). Mods, can we do something about this?

I'm having light strikes with a Timney, they admit there's been issues with some rifles, SPS Varmit in particular. There's been a production change in the last few weeks, all the Remington 700 triggers come with a longer sear. I'm sending my trigger back to have the longer sear installed. I did search and found threads back to 2011 and Timney knew about the issue back then. I guess the large sales of the 700 triggers since the recall made the issue too big to ignore.

yep i played this game too with a 308 aac sd. sent it in for a long sear i though about sending the one in my 700p 300wm in for the longer sear too but it has never had a problem