• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Light Primer strikes tactical innovations 10/22

frankythefly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Colorado
I have been getting light primer strikes using a tactical innovations 10/22 anyone have this issue or know a quick fix? I am unfamiliar with 10/22s so sorry if this has been covered before.

With federal ammo works fine, with everything else it wont fire. I compared side by side with a friends Ruger 10/22 and I can visually tell that the firing pin is not striking like it should.

Re: Light Primer strikes tactical innovations 10/22

Do you have a "lightened" hammer spring, or, a "lightened" hammer?

I got it used so I really have no idea, as far as I know everything is stock is there a way to tell by taking it apart? I am thinking someone tweaked it before me to get a lighter pull, as the trigger pull feels like approx 3.5 lbs

If the barrel isn't seated completely to the rear and snug in the receiver, this can happen. If the Fed ammo rim mic's thicker, this would tend to confirm such a diagnosis.

or you may need to clean out where the firing pin runs if it has gunk or oil that has thickend that can slow a firing pin down

Thanks guys I will take her apart, I needed to do so anyhow, I was kind of bummed that nothing would fire except the federal stuff.

I have a tac22 and it will fire anything I feed it. Keep in mind though that the weapon is designed to be as close to ruger as possible but dosen't actually have any ruger parts. Mine had a similar problem and it was the bolt spring. The bolt wouldn't close as tightly as it should and caused this same thing regaurdless of ammo.

That was what I was sort of noticing at the range. Did you contact tactical innovations or did you replace it yourself?

I have mixed feelings about tactical innovations. I don't think that the customer support even knows anything about what they sell. I wouldn't waste your time calling them on it. Hopefully the gun you have is the c-clipped version and replacing the spring will be cinch otherwise a new charge handle may be in order depending on your skills. I bought power cusoms springs both hammer and bolt, And has been feeding smooth ever since

IF you have a tight chamber the round my not be seated all the way to the breech.
Try different ammo too.
Does sound like to light of a hammer spring. I run a full power Wolff and the trigger breaks at 2lbs clean.
Cheers,
LG

A guy brought me a 10/22 one time doing the same thing and eventually would not fire at all.I messed around with it and finally narrowed it down to the firing pin.Took it apart and took the bolt out and the firing pin had some gunk on it that it would stick and not move enough to strike the primer.I knocked the pin out and took the firing pin out and cleaned and polished it up and it was fine.

Idiot.
Missed the 10/22 part.
Thought it was about a TacSol .22 AR upper.
Sorry.

one outher thing is how cold it is if you are useing an oil that gets very thick as the temp drops you might want to try something else. have never had that my self but its lucky to ever get below -3c here

I have taken apart my own 10/22s several times and my brother's and nephew's and a couple of friends. I ran across the "gunk" or "Varnish build up in the channel the firing pin slides back and forth in. It was enough to notice just working the firing pin back and forth by finger it was effecting the pin movement. Take it apart and clean it out good with the tooth brush and solvent of your choice and put it back together. The varnish reminded me of cosmoline from the look of it. And if you ever messed with cosmoline then you know what I'm talkin about. Cold can also thicken up your lube too so lite oil when you put it back together. Usually if it is a new 10/22 I would polish up some of the trigger parts and install some Power Custom shims on the trigger, sear and the disconnect. MidwayUSA sells the shims and you can go on Rimfire Centrals website and Youtube videos to help you along on disassembly/reassembly of your 10/22. Last trigger job I had a 5 pound trigger pull on my Lyman trigger pull guage when I started and just cleaning and the shims installed dropped it to 2.5 pounds. Simple home gunsmithing.

Clean everything well and lightly lube.
Check the hammer spring strut assembly and insure that the slot in the retaining clip is facing up.
(When the slot is turned the other way the hammer strut drags and binds.)
If it continues to happen replace hammer spring first.

Hell, I have at least 8 laying in my parts drawer.
Shoot me a PM and I'll mail you one free of charge.

Another quality upgrade is either the Tactical Innovations or Kidd guide rod & spring upgrade.
GuideRodSpringKit_LRG.jpg

The tac 22 alredy has the listed upgrades. Thats what makes the gun so attractive in its price range. The only parts that seem to be sub par are the springs and not in their build quality just tensions.

Just finished a T/I build. Using their Elite 22 combo bolt/receiver, with a PWS T3 Trigger Group and a Kidd barrel. Had similar issues. Went out to break it in this weekend and could barely get it to cycle through a full mag. Groups were real tight but very frustrating that it would not cycle. Got some stove pipes, bolt that did not seat all the way, failure to feed.

I ran a hundred rounds of each of the following thru it:

CCI 22LR HP - Poor feed

Followed everyone's guidance short of changing out the spring and guide rod with no improvement. Seemed to have a bit of a bolt hang up just aft of the ejection port. Called TI and Craig said send it back and he would take a look at it and make it right. Went out tonight, will let you know what happens. Will order a Kidd spring set and rod tomorrow.

Remington 22 Yellow Jacket HP (This was the only ammo that I was able
to get through one mag without an issue)

Winchester Super X Standard Velociy - Poor feed

Aguila .22 Intercepter - Poor Feed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Haystack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished a T/I build. Using their Elite 22 combo bolt/receiver, with a PWS T3 Trigger Group and a Kidd barrel. Had similar issues. Went out to break it in this weekend and could barely get it to cycle through a full mag. Groups were real tight but very frustrating that it would not cycle. Got some stove pipes, bolt that did not seat all the way, failure to feed.

I ran a hundred rounds of each of the following thru it:

CCI 22LR HP - Poor feed

Followed everyone's guidance short of changing out the spring and guide rod with no improvement. Seemed to have a bit of a bolt hang up just aft of the ejection port. Called TI and Craig said send it back and he would take a look at it and make it right. Went out tonight, will let you know what happens. Will order a Kidd spring set and rod tomorrow.

Remington 22 Yellow Jacket HP (This was the only ammo that I was able
to get through one mag without an issue)

Winchester Super X Standard Velociy - Poor feed

Aguila .22 Intercepter - Poor Feed
</div></div>

That is the same issue that I am getting. I took it apart cleaned it, everything looks to be top notch machining really nice work. However I I believe the bolt is hanging up when it moves back across the trigger mechanism. Mine only shoots the federal stuff and nothing else. It also appears to have the advance guide rod with springs. I believe that perhaps there is a clearance issue between the bolt and the trigger mechanism perhaps really tight tolerances? Not sure what to do at this point, maybe just settle shooting the federal ammo and perhaps it will work itself in.

my main problem ended up being the ejector. Mine does no fit snug in the trigger assembly like you think it would. I ended up using a teflon washer to shim it and hold it straight. I shot it yesterday and was impressed with how much better it made it. It would stove pipe every other round and I ended up with 12 out of 300 that FTE. I can't complain about that. I have the oversized skeletonized charge handle and I noticed that sometimes the brass will get hit by it on it's way back. I watched two cases get pushed back into the reciever from this.

You do know that the ejector is on the left side of the mags. feed lips on a 10/22 and that is whats used when firing.
The one on the bolt only comes into play when you remove the mag. and clear a round from the chamber.
Respectfully,
LG

Yes i am aware of how the gun works. I was just sharing something that made me take the for sale off my gun. I assume that it was extra fricton from the ejectors ability to walk around in the bolt channel

Ruger has been makeing them fit kinda loose for years.
I have seen them drag on the bottom of the bolt to the point there was a good sized mark on said bolt.
Just for "grins", take the internal ejector out and fire a few mags and see what happens.
Cheers,
LG

update, replaced the main bolt spring, and the extractor(just for kicks) still no dice. I am going to replace the trigger spring today and give that a try. I was also wondering if adjusting the over-travel on the trigger could possibly be at fault for this?

The trigger spring is very possible. When I replaced the hammer on mine with a VQ hammer I first tried using the supplied VQ trigger spring, but this caused the light FP strikes. After taking others advice I switched back to the stock Ruger spring and have had no light strike issues sinse. With the Tactical Innovations I don't have any experience, but this is what happened to me with the VQ.

Anyhow took out the trigger spring and noticed that it had little to no tension against the c-clamp. Place it side by side to the new trigger spring and the new one was about a 1/2inch longer. The new one was also a pain to install. The trigger pull is also greater. I am pretty confident that this was the culprit. I will try it out this weekend to confirm.

ONLY the hammer spring has anydangthing to do with the force of the firing pin hitting the case rim.
The trigger spring resets the trigger after firing, and that ALL it does.
Go to an OEM Ruger hammer spring and life will be good again.
LG

I'm pretty sure that's the sppring that he's talking about LG. Thast's the only spring in a 10/22 trigger assembly retained by a c-clip.

Let us know how it turns out for you Frank.

I had a few light strikes at first with mine also.
I took out the BBL and put it in a vice and worked on the shank that goes into the receiver with a strip of fine wet / dry sandpaper.
That cured my light strik problems.

I had light strikes FTF on a 10 22, tried a lot of variations to cure it, complete different proven trigger group did not cure it, ended up putting in a third bolt and beveled the rim recess, that cured it, I blame the combination of a sloppy factory receiver with a tight tolerance bolt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ONLY the hammer spring has anydangthing to do with the force of the firing pin hitting the case rim.
The trigger spring resets the trigger after firing, and that ALL it does.
Go to an OEM Ruger hammer spring and life will be good again.
LG </div></div>

Yeah, I meant hammer spring. Everything is good to go it was just a really light hammer spring. Fired 500 rds with only 2 FTF of cheap Remington ammo.
I really like this rifle minus the rough start. Everything is machined really well and it shoots outstanding.

Thanks guys for all the input and your time.

Glad to hear that you got it worked out Frank. There's not much that's more frustrating than buying something and having it not work for from day one.