• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light recoiling round

While I agree with everything you state, and I think professional training is the absolute single best money you can spend on this sport, if she's already mentally given up on the cartridge, it's not going to get any better going forward.

Recoil can be one of the best teachers, it highlights and illuminate our flaws as shooters. I'm a big advocate of using a .308 for a training rifle over a .223, but if someone is pretty recoil sensitive, it can also be a barrier.

One of the quickest ways for me to get my wife to hate shooting is to have her shoot my .308. Yes, I can spend thousands on getting her professional training, but she just wants to shoot to have fun. A heavier recoiling rifle is not at all conducive to that.

I'm keeping it short since: Interwebs. There is a lot of context taken into consideration that I'm not writing about...

Good. But... A rifle course might have several different rifles to choose from and is not, usually, held by the persons "significant other".

Me too. Heavy bullets and no muzzle device for practice. On with the can for comps.

And when she's better than the OP and says "This was fun. I want to try 800!"
"Sorry hon'. That pea shooter ain't gonna cut it"
?

I do get your point though...

Kinda doesn't make sense when you also say to let her pick the rifle.

So how doesn't her trying out a rifle to fit her make sense?

Tikkas hunting stocks are not made for prone shooting. The UPR and Sporter are better but none of them takes weights.

Adjustable stock, ear plugs electronic mufflers and a brake or can, you guys are very fortunate to be able to run suppressed over there, I would probably run everything from 22LR TO 338LAP except my 1895SBL suppressed if I could.

Hard to go wrong with .223 for the distances we're discussing in the OP. An issued M-4 will manage that and so will most any decently put together AR-15. Of course, this IS the bolt gun section...nothing wrong with running a .223 bolt gun. Goes double if you hand load. "But the wind..." Seems like a non-issue in a fun gun to me. What's the down side?

Pretty solid idea at the moment to get something in a caliber you already have/load. I like having decent factory ammo as an option (as a general thing).

You might also consider a MCS-CS2 or a shorter chassis from MPA. I've got two McMillan stocks at 12.5" LOP and a KRG Bravo (at 12.7 or whatever it is). I'm 5'10" but have short-ish limbs (T-Rex arms, if you will). However, I'm probably still longer of limb than a lady at 5'2". You're average chassis just ain't gonna get it done. An AR-15 will, of course (as my 6 y/o son can attest too), but many bolt gun chassis start at 13 plus inches and only get longer from there...complete non-starters for me.

i'm not shooting "matches"

but an 88gr eld from a 223 or a 105 from br are very similar on drift, drop and impact signature..

out to 300 or so even something like a 55gr sp does just fine.. jug of h4198 last forever and you still get a decent return on ur small rifle primer investment.

but definitely less on the recoil.

75gr or 88 or yellow box variants is a lot of fun and that class of bullet makes prairie critters go hooves up real fast.

I'm not sure the .223 is the right answer here. It takes skill to hit targets at 500 with a .223 in a decent crosswind.
A slightly heavier (or faster) payload would be more forgiving and would likely result in more hits, plus be capable at longer ranges or a goid choice for hunting.
I really think the .224 or 6.5 grendel would be good options. Getting her own rifle, that is set up for her is really important.
Of course, buying anything right now is a non-starter.
I'm getting 3000fps with a 75gr ELD-M.

Numbers with a 90 degree 15mph wind at 500yds.
223 75gr ELD-M (3000fps) 1.4 mil
6.5G 123gr ELD-M (2580fps) 1.6 mil

*Edit* had to correct my numbers.

Last edited:
I'm getting 3000fps with a 75gr ELD-M.

Numbers with a 90 degree 15mph wind at 500yds.
223 75gr ELD-M (3000fps) 1.4 mil
6.5G 123gr ELD-M (2580fps) 1.4 mil
Good numbers, that may be a good answer.
Is that a similarly hot rodded 6.5 load?

Hey all, Recently bought a tikka ctr in 6.5 creedmoor and absolutely love it. My wife came shooting with me this past weekend and the gun just wasn’t comfortable for her to shoot, partially because of the recoil and partially because I set the rifle up to fit me, not her. I’m 6’5” and my wife is 5’2” so she’s on the smaller side. I’m looking for a lighter weight rifle and light recoiling caliber that I can get for her so she can come shoot on days I do under 400-500 yards as She has expressed zero interest in shooting any further.

So with all that being said I want to get her into at least shooting 400 yards, my main concern is caliber choice... she thinks the 6.5 has a little too much recoil for her, that might have been because she felt awkward using my rifle but I’d like something a little softer for her... maybe a .223 or .22 creedmoor? Not sure what direction to go with it.
Once I narrow down the caliber I want to go with then I’ll start looking into specific makes and models

anybody else get their significant other their own setup?

Hey all, Recently bought a tikka ctr in 6.5 creedmoor and absolutely love it. My wife came shooting with me this past weekend and the gun just wasn’t comfortable for her to shoot, partially because of the recoil and partially because I set the rifle up to fit me, not her. I’m 6’5” and my wife is 5’2” so she’s on the smaller side. I’m looking for a lighter weight rifle and light recoiling caliber that I can get for her so she can come shoot on days I do under 400-500 yards as She has expressed zero interest in shooting any further.

So with all that being said I want to get her into at least shooting 400 yards, my main concern is caliber choice... she thinks the 6.5 has a little too much recoil for her, that might have been because she felt awkward using my rifle but I’d like something a little softer for her... maybe a .223 or .22 creedmoor? Not sure what direction to go with it.
Once I narrow down the caliber I want to go with then I’ll start looking into specific makes and models

Could load the 6.5 lighter . Or try 2506 or 6mm

Put a brake on it will help big time . I just got a savage ultra light in 6.5 for my wife It’s very light and a Heathens brake really tamed it down . This will be for her first draw on a elk so I don’t want to go to 6 ml For hunting but I will re barrel it to a 6 xc for her to do more range shooting and hone her skills.The 6 xc is a great round with .243 results.

6mm PPC?

Basically the .22 PPC necked up.

6.5 Grendel is just the next step up again.

Sako did their nice Model 75 in 6PPC as a factory option, some years back. Tack-driver, not much recoil.

Even did them in stainless; nice piece of kit. Detachable box mags and all.

Built my wife a 6.5 creed with a nice chassis and suppressed and she would take 20 or so shots and be done. I then transitioned her to a heavy AR10 in 6.5 creed with a light load and she would shoot maybe 2 mags..more or less 40.

One day I brought the heavy .223 bolt gun out. She shot it all afternoon off the bench and had a blast out to 700. She then used the 6.5 for a couple at a thousand but loved the .223. Easy and cheap...75gr bergers and shoots lights out.

Her other favorite is shooting the CZ455 at 50-100 yards at small stuff like golf balls or cans.

We often overthink this. :)

I love the 6.5x55 Swede.

have you thought of added extra weight to the gun ?

First off a rifle set to fit your size will not work. I’ll make this easy. My 8 year old grandson had a youth 7mm-08 and recoil was an issue. Went to 6.5CM with 120/130 mid range loads and all was good. Length of pull is everything. Got him a Savage youth in 6.5CM perfect LOP. Rifle fit is everything. He loves it and dropped a heavy doe for his first whitetail. If not planning on hunting then the 22/250 is sweet choice

Once you get her a rifle that fits her. You shoot it and report back how uncomfortable it was for you when the scope smacks you because LOP is too short. And a new rifle with a diamond necklace would always help lol

In my opinion, these threads always deviate into what others want, not what the guys wife would enjoy.

OP, look hard at a decent .223 bolt, stock or chassis is going to be a personal choice. Try to dry fit her with various ones if possible. Medium weight set up. The other option is a factory semi, something along the lines of an LMT 20" 5R barrel MRP or similar built variant, my daughter loves shooting either one of the .223's I have.

edit, be careful on the brake as some people, meaning the shooter may be sensitive to the concussion and not necessarily the recoil.

Reactions: 260284