• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Light recommendations to Pair w Dbal D2

Midwest Optics

Owner Midwest Optics
Minuteman
May 2, 2019
US
midwestoptics.net
Can I get some recommendations to pair with a dbal d2 also picked up a unity taps switch for cheap so preferably something that will use a Surefire tail

The 600 df is good. I have a modlite plhv2 I like alot as well. Lights are pretty similar with the PLH throwing a little better and the 600df having similar intensity but slightly wider spill and better illumination out to the edges of the spill. PLH can use the same surefire rear caps and has a single 18350 or 18650 size model.

I have the 18650 version. Whichever version you go with I highly suggest sticking to a single cell solution. High output lights can cause a fire if one batt is dead and the other has charge when the light draws load. Has to do with the dead/low cell trying to rapidly charge and equalize with the full cell and internal resistance causing them to heat. Charging two 18350s means you need to be sure they are both correctly charged as a pair before you use them. Good batt chargers have indicators for this. Single 18650 or 18350 dont experience this potential issue and in a pinch an 18650 light can just run two lithium cr123s-- edit to add, some 18650s can. The modlite cannot and the surefire 600DF can

Last edited:
Reactions: Dvlray6
The 600 df is good. I have a modlite plhv2 I like alot as well. Lights are pretty similar with the PLH throwing a little better and the 600df having similar intensity but slightly wider spill and better illumination out to the edges of the spill. PLH can use the same surefire rear caps and has a single 18350 or 18650 size model.

I have the 18650 version. Whichever version you go with I highly suggest sticking to a single cell solution. High output lights can cause a fire if one batt is dead and the other has charge when the light draws load. Has to do with the dead/low cell trying to rapidly charge and equalize with the full cell and internal resistance causing them to heat. Charging two 18350s means you need to be sure they are both correctly charged as a pair before you use them. Good batt chargers have indicators for this. Single 18650 or 18350 dont experience this potential issue and in a pinch an 18650 light can just run two lithium cr123s-- edit to add, some 18650s can. The modlite cannot and the surefire 600DF can

This is the way. Modlite kicks the crap out of the Surefire DF. When you get in a lumen war, don’t forget the candela. Lumen without candela is just flood. Candela controls. For general use, the Modlite PLHV2 is the best surefire footprint out there. I really like the Cloud Defensive Rein micro for my rifles and it can be ordered with an integrated switch with built in cable management. Cloud Rein micro would be my first choice, Modlite PLHV2 my second, and Surefire DF a distant third.

This is the way. Modlite kicks the crap out of the Surefire DF. When you get in a lumen war, don’t forget the candela. Lumen without candela is just flood. Candela controls. For general use, the Modlite PLHV2 is the best surefire footprint out there. I really like the Cloud Defensive Rein micro for my rifles and it can be ordered with an integrated switch with built in cable management. Cloud Rein micro would be my first choice, Modlite PLHV2 my second, and Surefire DF a distant third.
Would i be able to use the modlight w a unity taps w surefire plug in

Reactions: Dvlray6
Would i be able to use the modlight w a unity taps w surefire plug in

Absolutely. Modlite is compatible with surefire end caps. You could get just the tape switch plug in or the DS00 that has both switch and an on/off button on the back.

Attachments

• 20200813_064615.jpg
    20200813_064615.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 62
I've got a russian Perst 3 laser along with its pressure pad setup and a modlite PLHv2 and unity tactical hot button. The large rear pad is the perst controls, pad is fire, cross bolt is a safety lockout, and the knob is brightness. The angled switch is a unity hot button and controls the modlite. It uses surefire leads and has both momentary as well as a clicky constant on mode.

My only complaint with the setup is using the hot button by half pushing to momentarily active the white light I've occasionally had the rifle drive itself back just enough to click it onto constant. I'd actually prefer it to be momentary only

Reactions: Midwest Optics