• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Light strike or hard primers??

Crispytortilla

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
So I am having an issue with my pistol and I just want to know what the best way to narrow down the culprit is. I bought a Salient glock 19 (yeah I know expensive Tupperware) and subsequently bought 1000/rounds of ammunition from a source I had not previously purchased from. About one in fifty would not go off with one strike. I removed them and then chambered them again after eliminating the possibility of a cook off and they would fire. I guess the meat of the question is how do I determine the cause of this. I have ran a bit of the same ammo through another glock with no failures so far. I have also ran different ammo through the offending salient with no issues so far. What would you recommend I do? Thanks for any and all help!

I don't know what a Salient Glock is, but the two Glocks I own always go bang. Trigger jobs on Salient?

Never mind just watched some videos of them. Lots of flash little reliability. "In my opinion" try factory ammo and you will find your problem.

Just read my posts, and it looks like I'm bashing Salient. I didn't mean it that way. Try some known quality ammo and I think you'll be happy. Bad ammo can affect any firearm. Happy shooting :)

You need to check the primer depth and make sure they are deep enough. I have a very light hammer spring in my cz and if I don't seat the primer deep enough, I have this same problem. Luckily, I can pull the trigger again in da and it will light it off. Not sure what kind of firing pin you have but if it's not the primer you may need a longer firing pin or a heavier spring.

In addition to my original question I guess what I'd like to know is, if a firearm is light striking and it is not an ammo issue. Would it sporadic or consistent. I would imagine a gun that is striking light would strike light all the time not 2 times in 50 but I'm not an expert. However I can see some primers not being seated deep enough in a large reloading the operation. How would one check primer depth? Just eyeball and feel if its flush?

After I load a few hundred, I pick up the boxes and inspect every primer from the top and then the side. Any high primers will be apparent from the side. I am not familiar with glocks but I imagine a slightly heavier firing pin spring would help eliminate the problem as well.

Post some pictures of the fired primers and those that failed to fire.
My guess is they installed reduced power striker spring and with harder primers they ignite inconsistently. The light striker spring reduces trigger pull.
That's why may Glock guys running reduced power striker springs run lightened strikers so they can shoot MOST factory ammo.
Also that's why many reload with fed primers which seem to be the softest of the bunch.
You can tell a lot from the primer strike, if the primer just has a tip mark then it's either hitting light or the primers are hard for your spring/striker weight.
If the primers have a mark from the rectangular portion of the striker then it is hitting plenty heavy.
My guess is your gun has both a lightened striker and reduced power striker spring and just can hit the hard primers hard enough.
The latest setup is a striker with an extended tip on the striker which seem to work better with a light striker spring. With this extended striker tip I'm not sure the striker would ever hit hard enough to leave anything but the tip mark.
David E.
Been shooting a G34 in competition since 02.

Last edited:
I drove my self crazy with the same problem. It turned out to be a simple matter of too much lube on the firing pin. Remove the firing pin clean everything with brake clean then after you put it back together use lighter fluid to lube the firing pin ,It evaporates after a few minutes leaving a very thin coat of oil. This works great for bolt gun trigger also.

Check the following:

1) High primers.

2) Broken firing pin tip.

3) Weak firing pin spring.

4) Excessively hard primers (Tula, Wolf, etc.)

5) Excessive crud build up in the striker channel or on the breechface.

6) Or any 2 of the above can combine to create a problem--i.e., hard primers and weaker firing pin springs.